• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Video Games

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, what would an OT Forum be without this thread?

What are you guys playing right now?

I'm playing Ocarina Of Time, Wind Waker, Splinter Cell DA, Elite Beat Agents and I now will get therapy for my ADD.

Number20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish I had the time to play video games like I used to. :-(
When I do get a chance, its usually classic 'old school' Atari 2600 games and flight sims.

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just picked up copies of Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask and Banjo-Kazooie.

Also found out that Nintendo still sells OEM N64 controllers, brand new for $30 (Can). A little pricey but worth knowing that someone's greasy paws haven't been all over it.

I'm just about done Ocarina Of Time for the 3rd time. It never gets old, although the Water Temple is a bitch.

Splinter Cell DA is cool for totally different reasons, but the learning curve is so huge that it's turned me off a bit. I actually haven't even touched the 360 since getting an N64 again...man, that system is about as close to Gaming bliss as one would ever want.

I'd love to play Castlevania: SOTN again, and I could pick up a brand new PSOne for $60, but apparently Konami is porting it to the 360 sometime in the Spring. Hoorah.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm on the fence as far as gaming goes lately. Gaming feels solitary to me now when I'm on a console in front of the TV. None of my friends are into the gaming thing so any hardware I have seems to be going to waste. I'm debating of just doing a few PC upgrades and playing online. There's nobetter gamer rush to me than fragging someone you don't know and picturing them swearing in front of their PC. This makes me sound a bit crazy doesn't it?

tonecapone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just beat Call Of Duty 3,F.E.A.R.,and Prey on the 360.
Am currently playing worms and super maio kart on xbox using emus

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
casualimp said:
I'm on the fence as far as gaming goes lately. Gaming feels solitary to me now when I'm on a console in front of the TV. None of my friends are into the gaming thing so any hardware I have seems to be going to waste. I'm debating of just doing a few PC upgrades and playing online. There's nobetter gamer rush to me than fragging someone you don't know and picturing them swearing in front of their PC. This makes me sound a bit crazy doesn't it?

Why picture it when you can hear it or see it?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the current console war is fought and decided by online gaming, then Microsoft leaves Sony & Nintendo in the dust.

The head start that they had in building Xbox Live has given them a distinct advantage that the other companies are forced to follow suit by basically copying them.

Nintendo has a great idea by publishing their back catalogue of games (as well as Sega, TG16 etc...) but with their release schedule (1 game or more a week) they're going to run out of good games within a year. I haven't heard anything from them regarding new titles to be distributed for the virtual console, only retro titles. How cool would it be to have "new" 8-Bit style NES games published?

For multiplayer on the Wii, if they can capture the feeling of Mario Cart DS, but with voice interaction, they could do really well for themselves. Factor in that their online component is basically free and it bodes well for them.

Sony hasn't promised anything with the exception of a Geometry Wars clone and promised downloadable PS1 titles. Wow. So, why would you make the most powerful system on paper fully backwards compatible, and criticize Microsoft for not doing so, only to put out PS1 games that people either have in their collection ('cause let's be honest, even Sony Fanboys are more loyal than Nintendoites) or can pick up off of Ebay for less than $10?

Given time, they will more than likely get it right. They're good at eventually nailing things, but it takes them forever. Look at how many firmware revisions the PSP has gone through just to do things it should have in the first place.

Now, as for the multiplayer aspect of online gaming...Microsoft has done a really good job of creating the "online community" feel, rather than the solitary PC User experience. The fact that you can have a friend list and see what they're up to, whether it be gaming or watching a movie or donwloading or whatever, is revolutionary. The fact that you can check them out even from your PC is even better.

The only problem is that a select minority, who also happen to be the loudest voice, are wrecking the experience for many. I like to play a lot of CTF style multiplayer games, as opposed to fragging, but the smacktalk, racism and general ignorance has really turned me off...so much so that I'm embracing older classics lately to avoid playing the newest multiplayer craze.

My point imp, is that if you haven't tried out XBL yet, you owe it to yourself to. Many of the great PC multiplayer games (FEAR, Quake, Doom, Painkiller, HL2 etc) are available for the Xbox or Xbox 360, and give you a full feature set that can't be replicated on a PC. Plus, and this is why I don't game on the PC, you don't have to worry that some guy who has the ability to throw all of his money into a gaming rig, has a distinct strategic advantage over you. Go to a LAN party sometime and you'll see what I mean. Everyone on a console is on equal ground.

Now that Microsoft is offering HD movie downloads and episodic television content, they're looking pretty golden.

Ultimately it's your call when you evaluate what you want out of the online experience, but Microsoft is clearly in the lead when it comes to this.

BTW, my Gamertag is TheCassidy if anyone wants to add me to their friend list.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Cassidy, that was really informative. Now as to online gaming with the Xbox 360 (which I'm strongly considering of getting in the new year when prices go down) can you setup your online via a wireless router? I only have max G so I guess I'd have upgrade to an N based router, wouldn't I?

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
casualimp said:
Thanks Cassidy, that was really informative. Now as to online gaming with the Xbox 360 (which I'm strongly considering of getting in the new year when prices go down) can you setup your online via a wireless router? I only have max G so I guess I'd have upgrade to an N based router, wouldn't I?

You bet. Microsoft manufactures an Xbox 360 branded wireless router, but I believe any USB adapter would work. Obviously you want to maximize connection/transfer speeds, but a little online digging can get you the info you need.

As far as Nintendo goes, I have their USB wireless adapter and have had nothing but good luck with it. The range isn't great (about 30 feet or so till you drop connection) but I've gamed with Japanese people on the DS with no problems or slowdown.

I think you can use the adapter with the Wii as well, but I've yet to get one until the New Year.

The 360 is a great deal right now - Future Shop & Best Buy are both selling it for $499 for the Premium Console with a bunch of extras and two games, one of which is...I think Ghost Recon which is an awesome game and perfect for showing off what the system can do.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I haven't got much to go on cash right now and I'm only getting $150 for the PS2 bundle I decided to sell so I won't be getting anything until next year. I should have some money saved up by February so it'll be a toss-up between a Wii or a 360 core system (we have an old TV & a non Media Center PC) so I'll see what's available by then. I'll be sure to consult FE's resident game guru before I make a purchase though. ;)

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL, thanks for the prop.

Stay away from the Core 360 bundle at all costs. First off, I even doubt they will still sell them by February.

Second, because they don't have a hard drive, you're forced to back up all of your data on a memory card. Stike one. They also include a wired controller. Strike two. The don't have any of the fancy chrome accent details. Strike three.

Trust me man, you're going to want to download movies and content, so you'll need the unit with the hard drive. Even if you have a regular CRT TV, it looks so damned good that you'll love checking everythin out.

When I first got my 360 I was impressed with the graphics on my regular TV, then I got a 32' LCD for gaming and was blown away.

I'll let you know about the Wii because I should have one by then.

Also, I think you're getting robbed by only getting $150 for your PS2 and games.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree, I am getting robbed. I didn't sell it on eBay as they had like over 1200 PS2's there already and some had insane bundles that were going for nearly $140. So, even if I have to go to a Hock Shop or EB Games, so be it.

Appreciate the heads up on the core system so I'm going to go with a Wii instead. Granted there are more graphically enticing games offered to the Xbox, but the whole fun aspect of the Wii's controller and design I think will bring the enjoyment back into gaming for me. Plus it's more geared to my current hardware setup and I won't be going HD for another couple of years at best so the price and current line of games it offers is right up my alley. Plus, there are a few gamecube titles I wouldn't mind getting.

I wish I could be a multi-console gamer, but I just don't have the room and this seems like the best financial decision as far as getting into the next generation of gaming. I doubt I'm the only one that thinks on this level which will help Nintendo this round.

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lemme tell you, imp, I share your opinion wholeheartedly. You're making the right decision.

As an owner of every major console from the Atari 2600 up to the Xbox 360 (don't have a PS3 or Wii yet, but have played them) I'll tell you what graphics mean. Shit. Graphics mean shit.

You can cram all the polygons you want into a game, give it light bloom effects, shiny bumpmap it, slap on a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound track, hype it up, sell it out - and the gameplay sucks.

I have played countless games that looked stunningly beautiful but I didn't last past 3 levels because the gameplay just sucked hard.

Do I think the Wii will be tromped because it's essentially a Gamecube? Hell no. First, anyone who disputes the graphical prowess of the Gamecube needs to fire up Resident Evil IV.

Not that it matters, but here's why the Wii will win. My father-in-law who is an immigrant to Canada and speaks English as a second language played the Wii at the mall. He came to my house talking about it, and three hours later left and was still talking about it.

When I get a Wii, I probably won't be able to get rid of him. He's one middle aged man out of how many? That's a HUGE install base for Nintendo, and they're poised to capitolize on it.

And is it just me or has PS3 news been...quiet?

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you been to gamespot lately? They've got a 360, PS3 comparison article that's really interesting. You can tell ATI's graphic card is giving Nvidia a run for it's money. I hope the Wii's a good buy `cause their version of Ultimate Alliance is being rated worse than the PS2 and the 360 graphics are sooo nice for that game. Oh... I'm torn. Save more money maybe. There's a French expression my mother always tells me:

"Tu change ton id?e deux fois en pissent."

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I watched the comparison videos.

My take is this. What do you value in gaming? Do you like a good, engaging story with excellent gameplay? Do you like bells & whistles and graphical prowess? Do you feel inferior if your system is technically inferior on paper?

It's your call. I always tell people to evaluate their needs as a gamer, and make an informed decision based on that. Who needs graphics if the gameplay is good? The flip side is, if inferior graphics bother you and take you out of the experience, then who needs an "inferior" system?

Ultimately it's your call...and your wallets. Why not rent all of the systems for a weekend and try them all out?

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:grin: Both have their own distinct advantages...

untitledxc2.png

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I lucked out on the trade in. About $228.6 total which wasn't too bad. As to your question. I feel less immersed in the experience if the graphics aren't that good, especially if I know there's a better looking version on another platform. So I've decided (final this time :)) to save up for an Xbox 360. It's the only company I haven't tried yet and after speaking to the guys at eb games I'll be able to hook it up it my room next to my PC, thus closer to the router for online play. I think I'm getting a widescreen LCD monitor for Christmas so that'll totally be more immersing (even if I have to switch the dvi cords when I want to play). So, by February, March I should have a cool setup if I'm lucky.

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
casualimp said:
Well I lucked out on the trade in. About $228.6 total which wasn't too bad. As to your question. I feel less immersed in the experience if the graphics aren't that good, especially if I know there's a better looking version on another platform. So I've decided (final this time :)) to save up for an Xbox 360. It's the only company I haven't tried yet and after speaking to the guys at eb games I'll be able to hook it up it my room next to my PC, thus closer to the router for online play. I think I'm getting a widescreen LCD monitor for Christmas so that'll totally be more immersing (even if I have to switch the dvi cords when I want to play). So, by February, March I should have a cool setup if I'm lucky.

Nice. Maybe we can play some Halo 3 together.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought I'd post this cut and paste job I did for kicks.

[edit - the pic got accidentally deleted - my bad]

Chaltab

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The image didn't show up, Imp.

Anyway, I finally picked up God of War on the PS2 this last Sunday, and it's a blast. I'm not quite sure I like it better than Resident Evil 4, but it's definitely worth the $20 it retails for now.

Top Bottom