If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Video Games
Ah, what would an OT Forum be without this thread?

What are you guys playing right now?

I'm playing Ocarina Of Time, Wind Waker, Splinter Cell DA, Elite Beat Agents and I now will get therapy for my ADD.
WoW no question asked.
Odelay
I wish I had the time to play video games like I used to. :-(
When I do get a chance, its usually classic 'old school' Atari 2600 games and flight sims.
Just picked up copies of Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask and Banjo-Kazooie.

Also found out that Nintendo still sells OEM N64 controllers, brand new for $30 (Can). A little pricey but worth knowing that someone's greasy paws haven't been all over it.

I'm just about done Ocarina Of Time for the 3rd time. It never gets old, although the Water Temple is a bitch.

Splinter Cell DA is cool for totally different reasons, but the learning curve is so huge that it's turned me off a bit. I actually haven't even touched the 360 since getting an N64 again...man, that system is about as close to Gaming bliss as one would ever want.

I'd love to play Castlevania: SOTN again, and I could pick up a brand new PSOne for $60, but apparently Konami is porting it to the 360 sometime in the Spring. Hoorah.
I'm on the fence as far as gaming goes lately. Gaming feels solitary to me now when I'm on a console in front of the TV. None of my friends are into the gaming thing so any hardware I have seems to be going to waste. I'm debating of just doing a few PC upgrades and playing online. There's nobetter gamer rush to me than fragging someone you don't know and picturing them swearing in front of their PC. This makes me sound a bit crazy doesn't it?
Just beat Call Of Duty 3,F.E.A.R.,and Prey on the 360.
Am currently playing worms and super maio kart on xbox using emus
casualimp Wrote:I'm on the fence as far as gaming goes lately. Gaming feels solitary to me now when I'm on a console in front of the TV. None of my friends are into the gaming thing so any hardware I have seems to be going to waste. I'm debating of just doing a few PC upgrades and playing online. There's nobetter gamer rush to me than fragging someone you don't know and picturing them swearing in front of their PC. This makes me sound a bit crazy doesn't it?

Why picture it when you can hear it or see it?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the current console war is fought and decided by online gaming, then Microsoft leaves Sony & Nintendo in the dust.

The head start that they had in building Xbox Live has given them a distinct advantage that the other companies are forced to follow suit by basically copying them.

Nintendo has a great idea by publishing their back catalogue of games (as well as Sega, TG16 etc...) but with their release schedule (1 game or more a week) they're going to run out of good games within a year. I haven't heard anything from them regarding new titles to be distributed for the virtual console, only retro titles. How cool would it be to have "new" 8-Bit style NES games published?

For multiplayer on the Wii, if they can capture the feeling of Mario Cart DS, but with voice interaction, they could do really well for themselves. Factor in that their online component is basically free and it bodes well for them.

Sony hasn't promised anything with the exception of a Geometry Wars clone and promised downloadable PS1 titles. Wow. So, why would you make the most powerful system on paper fully backwards compatible, and criticize Microsoft for not doing so, only to put out PS1 games that people either have in their collection ('cause let's be honest, even Sony Fanboys are more loyal than Nintendoites) or can pick up off of Ebay for less than $10?

Given time, they will more than likely get it right. They're good at eventually nailing things, but it takes them forever. Look at how many firmware revisions the PSP has gone through just to do things it should have in the first place.

Now, as for the multiplayer aspect of online gaming...Microsoft has done a really good job of creating the "online community" feel, rather than the solitary PC User experience. The fact that you can have a friend list and see what they're up to, whether it be gaming or watching a movie or donwloading or whatever, is revolutionary. The fact that you can check them out even from your PC is even better.

The only problem is that a select minority, who also happen to be the loudest voice, are wrecking the experience for many. I like to play a lot of CTF style multiplayer games, as opposed to fragging, but the smacktalk, racism and general ignorance has really turned me off...so much so that I'm embracing older classics lately to avoid playing the newest multiplayer craze.

My point imp, is that if you haven't tried out XBL yet, you owe it to yourself to. Many of the great PC multiplayer games (FEAR, Quake, Doom, Painkiller, HL2 etc) are available for the Xbox or Xbox 360, and give you a full feature set that can't be replicated on a PC. Plus, and this is why I don't game on the PC, you don't have to worry that some guy who has the ability to throw all of his money into a gaming rig, has a distinct strategic advantage over you. Go to a LAN party sometime and you'll see what I mean. Everyone on a console is on equal ground.

Now that Microsoft is offering HD movie downloads and episodic television content, they're looking pretty golden.

Ultimately it's your call when you evaluate what you want out of the online experience, but Microsoft is clearly in the lead when it comes to this.

BTW, my Gamertag is TheCassidy if anyone wants to add me to their friend list.
Thanks Cassidy, that was really informative. Now as to online gaming with the Xbox 360 (which I'm strongly considering of getting in the new year when prices go down) can you setup your online via a wireless router? I only have max G so I guess I'd have upgrade to an N based router, wouldn't I?
casualimp Wrote:Thanks Cassidy, that was really informative. Now as to online gaming with the Xbox 360 (which I'm strongly considering of getting in the new year when prices go down) can you setup your online via a wireless router? I only have max G so I guess I'd have upgrade to an N based router, wouldn't I?

You bet. Microsoft manufactures an Xbox 360 branded wireless router, but I believe any USB adapter would work. Obviously you want to maximize connection/transfer speeds, but a little online digging can get you the info you need.

As far as Nintendo goes, I have their USB wireless adapter and have had nothing but good luck with it. The range isn't great (about 30 feet or so till you drop connection) but I've gamed with Japanese people on the DS with no problems or slowdown.

I think you can use the adapter with the Wii as well, but I've yet to get one until the New Year.

The 360 is a great deal right now - Future Shop & Best Buy are both selling it for $499 for the Premium Console with a bunch of extras and two games, one of which is...I think Ghost Recon which is an awesome game and perfect for showing off what the system can do.
Well I haven't got much to go on cash right now and I'm only getting $150 for the PS2 bundle I decided to sell so I won't be getting anything until next year. I should have some money saved up by February so it'll be a toss-up between a Wii or a 360 core system (we have an old TV & a non Media Center PC) so I'll see what's available by then. I'll be sure to consult FE's resident game guru before I make a purchase though. Wink