• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fanediting Examples (Before and After)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys, so I wanted to share one particular cut from my Emerald City edit that I was particularly proud of. I was lucky enough to find a spot that was the perfect segue for the next scene that I wanted to cut to. It worked well IMO. Per seciors great suggestion this thread could be a way for people to share example edits from their fanedits (either in-the-works, completed or just an experiment). You can also give a brief description of the technical aspects involved in the cut. A before example of the theatrical version is also a good reference. So please contribute!

Here's mine:

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos, and I was just about to watch your clip! (I didn't have time before now...)

Anyway, I knew you were being tongue-in-cheek and I certainly took no offense.

I was thinking that as a topic, this could be a very a good idea, one that maybe our whole community could contribute examples of editing that they are particularly proud of.

Maybe take out the "editing magic" reference in the thread title (or change the title to just be "Fan Editing Examples"), but at any rate, I thought this was an interesting idea as a way to share editing techniques without requiring people to find them in work-in-progress threads or by watching full-length edits.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
Gatos, and I was just about to watch your clip! (I didn't have time before now...)

Anyway, I knew you were being tongue-in-cheek and I certainly took no offense.

I was thinking that as a topic, this could be a very a good idea, one that maybe our whole community could contribute examples of editing that they are particularly proud of.

Maybe take out the "editing magic" reference in the thread title (or change the title to just be "Fan Editing Examples"), but at any rate, I thought this was an interesting idea as a way to share editing techniques without requiring people to find them in work-in-progress threads or by watching full-length edits.

Good idea! I like it. I'll change the title of the thread and reupload the video. Thanks [MENTION=9560]seciors[/MENTION]!

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=8731]Gatos[/MENTION], I liked your edit. It definitely has a more visceral quality to it, and you chose the perfect moment to cut away from the first scene, as the dialog that follows (in the original version) doesn't really add much, while the scene you cut to emphasizes the sense of danger and out-of-control situation the characters seem to be in. Nice job!

I'll try to share one of my scenes too, as soon as I'm able to (and no, it WILL NOT be the pod race scene! :p:-o:oops:)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
*Gah! Vimeo won't play nice, so be WARNED, there is a screech for a couple seconds in the very beginning of the video, this has happened before with some of my vimeo uploads. So please protect your ears or skip to the four or 5 second mark of the video!

I've not had this problem with Vimeo, but I have had a problem where any really loud effect (like a ship passing by camera) is super distorted by Vimeo. I've fixed this by just lowering the master volume in my editor by 6 or 7 db.

Of course, I have to remember to set it back to 0 db when I'm ready to do a real render.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my contribution to this thread!

The following is an approximately 2 minute long scene from my Star Wars Episode II edit. It is probably the scene I needed to spend the most time on, due to the extensive amount of technical editing that touched all the basics, and also because I did most of the work while I was still less experienced.

My primary narrative goal was to remove reference to a character that is essentially a "red herring" in the movie - "Master Sifo-Dyas" - whom is referred to in a small number of scenes as playing a large role in the creation of the clone army, which is a key plot point. Yet this character is never seen by the audience, and an explanation of who this person really is was left incomplete and at best a point of confusion. I was able to remove reference to this character in all other scenes without too much problem, but this was by far the most challenging one.

A second, more minor narrative goal, was to remove the character reference to Tyrannus (Count Dooku's Sith name) which only appears in two places, but also could be considered confusing for the audience due to the fact that I had already removed the one other reference to this name for other reasons, thus making the reference in this scene another point of confusion for the audience.

My final narrative goal for the scene was to strengthen Obi-Wan's character, making him less deferential to Jango. This led to a major ramp up of the tension and makes the scene much more fun to watch. (It works much better in full context of the movie, and not watching the original scene directly before, but this is how we are presenting things on the thread, so you might have to trust me on this point!)

I'd like to add that this is a scene which I most probably could have cut completely from my edit as an easier way to achieve my main goals; but I stuck with this scene, spending many hours on it and getting lots of feedback from L8wrtr on the various versions I posted for review while working on it. At many times I was truly at wit's end and ready to throw in the towel so to speak, as this was my first real challenging scene as a fan editor. However, due to perseverance, and the aforementioned support from L8 (both moral and feedback-wise), I believe I ended up with one of the strongest scenes in the movie, and a scene which I am indeed proud of.

In order to accomplish the aforementioned goals I had to utilize many technical editing techniques, including:
* completely re-scoring a major section of the scene (as dialog was very prominent on all the surround sound channels and could not simply be removed from the center channel)
* adding sound effects for actions that occur during the re-scoring (e.g., footsteps, thunder, button presses, door closings)
* scene structure re-ordering to allow cut-aways before a character starts speaking, and to maintain visual continuity
* multiple visual and audio edits throughout to make the scene flow as seamlessly as possible, and also to maintain visual continuity

So here it is, "Before and After":
Note 1: I have password protected this since it includes an unaltered scene from a Star Wars movie. Password is: fanedit
Note 2: This is in HD, but to view in HD, you will need to click on "Vimeo" and watch it from the main vimeo site.

I hope you enjoy it! :)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ahhh, I should start using that "Subscribe to Thread" function on the forums. Had no idea this thread had been updated. Thanks [MENTION=9560]seciors[/MENTION] for contributing, I'll take a look later today!

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool, thanks Gatos! Strange, since normally I get auto subscribed to any thread I start or contribute to. But I think maybe I set that up in my settings a long time ago, in a...ok, I won't say it! :p

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
Cool, thanks Gatos! Strange, since normally I get auto subscribed to any thread I start or contribute to. But I think maybe I set that up in my settings a long time ago, in a...ok, I won't say it! :p

Maybe I am auto-subscribed and I just never bother to check my subscriptions!

Anyway, I watched the video. Very nice, based on the before and after, it looks like it was a HUGE pain in the ass to edit that scene. So nicely done!

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! Yes, it was pain. But worth it in the end. :)
Thanks again for watching it!

dagfari

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great job with that scene, Seciors. Really remarkable how in scrubbing Tyrannus and Sifo-Dyas from the dialogue you get a much more intense interaction between Obi-wan and Jango.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know what, I made a few fanediting before and after clips in preparation for Blaster Con (<--- lol). I'll start uploading those to Vimeo.

Here's the first one, Scream - The Giallo Cut.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crouching Dragon—The Tiger Lily Cut

never mind the differences in brightness & hue, which have been screwed with to different degrees. these clips demonstrate the keyboard is truly mightier than the. . . than the chefblade or something.

[neg, i forget whether you had a chance to use these @ blastercon; if not, no biggie—you still da man.]

[align=center]befo' (dialogue & story kind of. . . straight):

afta:

more to follow.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We did not get a chance to show those off to the audience. But L8wrtr, bleuyoduh and Eye watched them in the hotel the night before and had a giggle fest.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
here's another pair. i trimmed the theatrical version even before i had written more than a few lines of dialogue. since the movie is verbose by kungfu standards, i wanted to reduce the amount of subtitles that i had to rewrite. both clips begin and end at the same points, but the fanedited version is shorter by 28 seconds. a trim here, a trim there, and by the end of the project, i had cut 26 minutes off the theatrical sausage.

notice that what sounds like an english utterance "anchors" the new dialogue; one of the jokes is built around that anchor.

[align=center]theatrical:

fanedited:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
last comparison for the night.

it's almost as though the two scripts occupy parallel universes: one hails from the realm of. . . okayness (i was so magically in love with the theatrical version when it was released), the other from an asian D&D cosmos sponsored by MST3K and herbal collectives. in which world do you want to live?

[align=center]on the nose:

between the thighs:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
We did not get a chance to show those off to the audience. But L8wrtr, bleuyoduh and Eye watched them in the hotel the night before and had a giggle fest.

wish i could have spent the whole weekend with you guys. my pikchaz from that gathering are still sitting on my camera's memory card, yet to be downloaded. i lost quite a few files when my imac's hard disk crashed a few months ago, but i'm glad i'm not particularly diligent about tending to my camera. will eventually mail them to you and the gang, as soon as RL slows down a bit.

Top Bottom