• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Eyes Wide Shut - Fidelio Edition

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ewsfeposter1.jpg

Original film title: Eyes Wide Shut
Fanedit film title: Eyes Wide Shut - Fidelio Edition
Date Original Film Was Released: 1999
Date Fanedit Was Released: June 2013
Original Runtime:159 minutes
New Runtime: 94 minutes
Time Cut: 65 minutes

Intention:
My intention with this fanedit was to make a version of Eyes Wide Shut that I would want to watch. I wanted to remove all the story elements that I did not like and make a “replacement” version for myself.

Brief Synopsis:
Bill’s motivations are no longer about his need to assert his masculinity and sexual revenge. Instead, Bill is a victim of curiosity, coincidence and circumstance.

Additional Notes:
The source for this edit was the 2-Disc Unrated Special Edition DVDs. The source material has a lot of noise and is quite grainy for a good majority of the movie. This was not “corrected/fixed” for this edit.

Special Thanks: Neglify, Dwight Fry, Rogue-theX, L8wrtr, Captain Khajiit, g1orkatsos, njvc

Editing Details:
This edit was made with: Womble, avisynth, HCEncoder, Photoshop Elements and DVDLabPro 2

Cutlist: [MAJOR SPOILERS, I urge you not to read the cutlist until after you've watched the edit]
  • Cut iconic opening shot of Nicole Kidman getting undressed
  • Sandor Szavost is completely removed
  • Removed Bill and Alice smoking marijuana and having the argument about men and women
  • Removed Alice’s confession of her sexual fantasy about the sailor
  • Removed all of Bill’s black and white daydreams about Alice cheating on him
  • Shortened Bill’s visit to Lou Nathanson’s apartment
  • Removed Marion confessing her love to Bill
  • Removed Bill’s encounter with the frat boys
  • Removed Bill’s encounter with Domino
  • Removed Bill returning to his apartment after leaving Somerton and Alice crying about her dream
  • Removed Bill returning to his apartment at night and staring at Alice
  • Removed Bill sitting in his office at night thinking daydreaming about Alice cheating on him
  • Removed Bill returning to Domino’s apartment

• Other stuff that I’m probably forgetting

Bonus Features:
- 2 Easter Eggs
- 2 Special Features Segments (Dream Story and Foreshadowing)

Release Details:
DVD5

Cover Art and Disc Art: (by Rogue-theX)
ewsfegatoscover3dview.jpg

ewsfegatoscover3dview2.jpg

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fc9kj82i381la2z

Trailer:

*The edit is available, PM me for details*

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
congrats on finishing, catman.

and very noss cover art, rogue! got that whole griterion thang going on.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
congrats on finishing, catman.

and very noss cover art, rogue! got that whole griterion thang going on.

Thanks students (for) social justice!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dude, you're going all njvc on me. :p

bookwin69

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ive never seen the original so's it's hard for me to judge.It seemed too short but that was the point.Again having not seen the original i enjoyed the story and appreciate Gatos time editing and responses back to me.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bookwin69 said:
ive never seen the original so's it's hard for me to judge.It seemed too short but that was the point.Again having not seen the original i enjoyed the story and appreciate Gatos time editing and responses back to me.

Hey [MENTION=24032]bookwin69[/MENTION],

I definitely recommend watching the original. I understand your sentiment that you felt it was too short but just to clarify, the point of my edit was not simply to cut the runtime of the film just for the sake of it. I cut specific things for specific reasons.

Thanks for watching and thank you for the review!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I usually farm out any sort of graphic/images/photoshop type work to other people ( [MENTION=8885]Rogue-theX[/MENTION], LastSurvivor, g1orkatsos) but I decided to take a stab at making a banner. Wasn't really happy with anything I came up. These two IMO were the most decent ones.

9gdm.jpg

n7nx.jpg

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I decided to make a banner myself too (with gato's blessing of course)
qs2hdg.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oooh oooh ooh, is this the banner request thread? I'd like banners too!

I'm so lazy. Or busy. Yes, let's go with busy.

plurmonger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just got a chance to watch this yesterday. Here is my review, as posted on IFDB...

I've always really liked Eyes Wide Shut, even though it is a very long and deliberately paced film. While its length never bothered me, I was fascinated by the idea of an hour and a half version and wondered if that would even work. Yes, as it turns out, it does work, but it's not at all the same film. What Gatos has done here is cut over an hour from the international cut of the film in order to "make a version...that [he] would like to watch." It's really solid work, too. He's done a fine job of keeping everything coherent and focused while stripping away large chunks of the plot that don't fit his vision for this cut. It's all surprisingly well-paced, the scenes that were shortened were done so at ideal moments, and the whole thing ends at just the right spot (really, kudos for that, very elegant). The problem for me is that apparently Gatos and I have different ideas about what makes Eyes Wide Shut interesting in the first place. I've always felt that the most engaging scenes were the ones between Bill and Alice Harford. Stanley Kubrick famously put Tom and Nicole through the ringer while shooting the film, and all of that tension comes across on screen. In "The Fidelio Edition," Nicole Kidman is barely in the movie at all. Her character is not as important to the story that Gatos' version is trying to tell, but her absence was a major disappointment for me. What we're left with is a pretty straightforward thriller, but without the lingering tension and resultant psychological turmoil of those earlier domestic scenes, it comes across as kind of flat. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just that, for me, it's not nearly as engrossing.

The DVD had a nice presentation with good sound and picture. As Gatos has noted in the description, there is quite a lot of film grain, but as this is a particularly grainy film to begin with, I really see no problem at all. Blacks are deep and colors pop; it's as fine a picture as you could expect from a DVD5. Sound was perfectly satisfactory as well, nicely and consistently balanced with audible dialogue throughout. As far as editing goes, I only noticed a couple of minor issues. The sound dropped out for a second on a couple of edits, but that was it for sound. The other thing is a little tougher. The next evening after Ziegler's party, Alice asks about wrapping the rest of the presents, and an exhausted Bill says they should put it off until tomorrow. Suddenly, the scene ends, and Bill is on his way out that very night. Considering what happens between those two scenes, I'm not sure how you'd fix it, but the way it played out here was pretty jarring/confusing, especially considering we don't see Alice again until the very end of the film.

Overall, I respect the hell out of what Gatos has done here, even if I don't particularly enjoy it. But if you also feel like the masked party and the following investigation were the best parts of Eyes Wide Shut and were bored with everything else, this just might be the cut for you.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey plurmonger,

Thanks for watching and I appreciate you taking the time to write a lengthy review.

The transition you refer to (after the wrapping of the presents) was a tough obstacle for this edit. I handled it as best I could. I can understand how you think its confusing/jarring but in my opinion I'm not quite sure why the fact that you don't see Alice again until the end of the movie adds to the confusion of the transition.

This is just my opinion, not trying to get defensive but simply want to explain my interpretation of the way that transition plays out (obviously this is biased). We cut from Bill saying finish it tomorrow to an elevator ding and the doors opening and Bill exiting the elevator. It only takes a few minutes after the scene develops for the viewer to understand why he is there. Anyway, that's just my feeling on it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful and honest review!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=24032]bookwin69[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21146]plurmonger[/MENTION], did you guys find the two Easter Eggs on the DVD?

plurmonger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, I didn't, but I've never been great at locating those.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
plurmonger said:
No, I didn't, but I've never been great at locating those.

Ahhh I see. Just have to play around with the arrow keys on some of the menu screens ;-)

plurmonger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
:lol: Found them! Those were a nice addition. I especially liked the one you edited from the movie with all of the...well, you know which one I'm talking about. He's just infuriating, isn't he?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
plurmonger said:
:lol: Found them! Those were a nice addition. I especially liked the one you edited from the movie with all of the...well, you know which one I'm talking about. He's just infuriating, isn't he?

Haha. Yeah, there were even more than the ones I included. Glad you liked them.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you seciors for watching and for writing an in-depth and thoughtful review on IFDB! Much appreciated and glad you enjoyed the edit!

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You are welcome Gatos, and thank YOU for such a great edit! I look forward to viewing other works of yours!

Top Bottom