• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Getting Started with HD editing

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Hal,

Not sure if you have figured this out yet, but just to let you know, handbrake should be able to handle prores just fine. I do this all the time without a problem. If not, that means you need to download some additional codecs from Apple's site, or, do a software update (once you install the Final Cut Suite, Apple's software update should realize this and download the "pro" codecs for you. These are playback codecs (obviously, since you can use prores inside FCP already), and get hooked into the general quicktime framework, which I think handbrake leverages. Though if not, you should be able to find them for download by looking at the support area for Final Cut Pro).

Another alternative is to use compressor to create the final output file.

One thing you shouldn't do (for your final release at least) is do two encodes (one through compressor, another through handbrake). It should be ok for a workprint, but you want to limit the number of encodes you do due to quality loss that each encode will introduce. Granted, going from prores to prores won't really do much to the quality...but it is strange that your version of handbrake won't let you use the native prores. Make sure you are using the latest release of handbrake. (no need for beta versions, latest supported release should be fine).

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to have neglected this thread, but I have managed to get things working for now. Compressor should suite me fine once I need to author proper discs. As always, your advice is appreciated.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No problem, I figured that you had managed to work things out! But feel free to continue to ask any questions, I'll be happy help however I am able to!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While waiting for the final sources for the edit, I'm doing a test author of Episode I. It seems like exporting to a BluRay and DVD will be easy enough, but can anyone tell me how to provide alternate audio tracks? When exporting as a Quicktime movie, the resultant file shows up as having six mono tracks. I also have a copy of Toast, so that might help, though it seems to get tripped up by the apparently six separate mono tracks the files have.
I plan to record a commentary track for all three, and Episode I will have an alternate track that omits the added music during the podrace. But I can't seem to get it to have two or three audio tracks.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wanted to bump this thread as I approach the utter end of this project of mine, encoding a version 1.1 of my Star Wars prequel edits, to give a hearty THANK YOU to those whose patient counsel has been invaluable. Seciors in particular has put in a lot of time and effort into helping me. I'm more pleased with the final product than I ever anticipated, and I owe that you all of you.

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a guide yet? I'm slightly interested, but being on a Mac, it seems to be a bit more complex than on windows...

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q for any and all: there are multiple pavtube products out there (at least 10 for the mac), and i was wondering, which one is ideal for converting a blu-ray movie into prores format with separate files for 5.1 audio?

the pavtube site doesn't give a clear idea of which products are best suited for a particular job. many of their products seem to have some of the same functions. what do you guys use?

would be much obliged if you can share your knowldge/experience here. tenkyu.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Pavtube HD Video Converter to convert already ripped BluRays (mkv's) to ProRes.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, Hal9k. Can the same program make prores files directly off the blu-ray? (i.e., without having to create an mkv first?)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, juice. Seems to be windows software, though.

and, hey, welcome back!

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
Thanks, juice. Seems to be windows software, though.

and, hey, welcome back!

Thanks, and sorry I always miss that small detail

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gave pavtube ByteCopy a trial. Converted a blu-ray movie to prores LT without a hitch; the transfer looked great, aside from the expected watermark smack in the middle of the picture.

emailed the support staff re: any upcoming sales. Instead of the usual $42, ByteCopy's going for $32—their Halloween special. But I got an even better deal from a very nice support staffer: $9.90. Wow.

downloaded the retail version, punched in the activation key, and I'm converting a movie to prores as I type this.

storm-trooper-pelvic-thrust-3.gif

I still find pavtube's product lines confusing. Many of their converters seem to have overlapping functions. But via email exchanges, staffers were able to narrow down my needs and recommend a product that could convert BRs (and DVDs, too) to all flavors of prores, as well as a sheepload of other formats.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Want to second seciors's vote of confidence for handbrake. It handles prores beautifully. Ain't gonna pay for compressor when something quite so useful is also quite so free.

fcpx gives just a handful of options for MP4 encoding. handbrake lets you customize like crazy if you want, or not very much at all if you want things simple.

plus, I recall reading somewhere that handbrake utilizes the CPU's multiple cores well and encodes with 64 bits of whatever instead of compressor's 32.

final cut pro x has no way I'm aware of to crop the output. But handbrake detects the black bars and automatically sets the encoding @ 1920 x 800 instead of x 1080. now that's service.

Top Bottom