If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

January 2019 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

Getting Started with HD editing
Here is a screencap of my export window for the file that will be used by FCE. I'm using AIC as the format, at 100% constant quality, and not scaling. I have a few questions for those experienced: Given that I'm trying to use FCE, should I manually specify a framerate of 29.97? Should I select any of the options about deinterlacing? (FCE has presents for HD that have a lowercase "i" in them, but I only saw one with "p" and it was 720.) Are there are any other changes to the settings that I should be advised to make? Thanks; you all are invaluable.
[Image: 999894_1900617917659_782425981_n.jpg]
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently.
why are you forcing 29.97? That is DVD spec, but involves pulldown. Film should be 23.976.
---------------------: My Fanedits :---------------------
Because You Were Home (the Strangers)

--------------------: Consecutions :--------------------
Because evidently Final Cut Express won't export in 23.976.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently.
Yes, you need to put "29.97" in the frame rate. Otherwise FCE won't accept the material. Don't select "deinterlace video" since the source material is progressive. So, you should also deselect "interlaced scaling" (you aren't scaling anyway).

Regarding interlacing, that's going to happen inside FCE. Another unfortunate aspect of FCE -- it only supports 1080i, not 1080p...back when FCE was out, 1080p had yet to become a consumer video standard.

Your source is progressive, and when in FCE it will end up interlaced if you keep the frame size the same...there's no way around this. You could try downsizing to 720p and compare quality (use a short clip that has some action in it). Then you won't have to deal with the interlacing issue.

At this point, it's been so long since I've dealt with interlacing that someone else can hopefully give you some advice on this. I'll also mention that iMovie does support 23.976, and 1080p, though you did say it doesn't perform well on your computer.

Regarding your previous post about the video being "stuck" in Quicktime player while the audio played fine, that usually is a sign of your computer struggling to keep up. You do have an underpowered computer for full HD. So maybe it might not be a bad idea to convert to 720p and work with that.

Finally, I just wanted to note that while FCE only exports stereo, you can edit all the surround sound tracks in the timeline. This is definitely worthwhile to do, as it will give you so much more flexibility in removing unwanted sounds that might appear only on one or two channels. If you start with stereo, you can't remove as many sounds which is usually something you want to do with the PT...

If the source material is AC3 surround sound, you can use MPEG streamclip to export each of the surround channels individually (or, at least, you can export them so that you have 2 stereo and 2 mono tracks...later splitting up the stereo tracks if you want in FCE).

I can explain that process once you've decided on how you are going to deal with the video part.
[size=xx-small]COMPLETED: STAR WARS: Ep I - Return of the Sith RE , Ep II - Army of the Republic | The Abyss: Revisited Edition
IN PROGRESS: Weekend Pass (Rachel Getting Married) | Tales From Doctor Who: Out of Time
PLANNED: Star Wars Ep III - Fall to the Dark Side | Titanic - Revisited Edition | The Caretaker (The Shining) | The Bourne Experiment (The Bourne Trilogy)[/size]
Hal9000 Wrote:Because evidently Final Cut Express won't export in 23.976.

well, that might cause some serious problems. If you hardcode the film framerate to 29.97 you are going to get blending and blurring. could look something like this:

[Image: 2ivkz76.jpg]

Hal9000 Wrote:Because evidently Final Cut Express won't export in 23.976.

Nor does it let you edit in it :-(
[size=xx-small]COMPLETED: STAR WARS: Ep I - Return of the Sith RE , Ep II - Army of the Republic | The Abyss: Revisited Edition
IN PROGRESS: Weekend Pass (Rachel Getting Married) | Tales From Doctor Who: Out of Time
PLANNED: Star Wars Ep III - Fall to the Dark Side | Titanic - Revisited Edition | The Caretaker (The Shining) | The Bourne Experiment (The Bourne Trilogy)[/size]
ThrowgnCpr Wrote:well, that might cause some serious problems. If you hardcode the film framerate to 29.97 you are going to get blending and blurring. could look something like this:
<pic removed>

That's why when you change the frame rate (which again, has to be done if you are going to use FCE), you have to NOT choose frame blending. What you instead get are duplicated frames here and there, which is not great, but ends up being better than the blending which is much more noticeable (IMO). I do have experience with this. But it's also why I abandoned FCE...I'm too much of a perfectionist and really didn't want the jerkiness that sometimes happens due to these extra frames.

EDIT:
Once again, I highly suggest you take a minute or two from your source and test out a few different approaches, both at 1080i and 720p. Also, reconsider using iMovie (you might be able to improve performance by turning off certain things in the app, like the display of audio waveforms...and background rendering if that happens in iMovie...those are tricks people use in FCPX).
seciors Wrote:That's why when you change the frame rate (which again, has to be done if you are going to use FCE), you have to NOT choose frame blending. What you instead get are duplicated frames here and there, which is not great, but ends up being better than the blending which is much more noticeable (IMO). I do have experience with this. But it's also why I abandoned FCE...I'm too much of a perfectionist and really didn't want the jerkiness that sometimes happens due to these extra frames.

yes, that is one way around it, but you can still cause weird motion (the jerkiness you alluded to). Any NLE that forces you to force a framerate on your video is dumb.

ThrowgnCpr Wrote:yes, that is one way around it, but you can still cause weird motion (the jerkiness you alluded to). Any NLE that forces you to force a framerate on your video is dumb.

Some history:

You have to remember that FCE was squarely aimed at consumers editing content that came from video they shot themselves, and at that time, the best HD cameras shot in 1080i 29.97fps. FCE stopped getting updates from Apple long before they stopped updating FCP. FCE users were eagerly waiting for an update to FCE, and were expecting one when the "new FCP" was going to come out. Well...that ended up being FCPX which replaced both FCP7 and FCE in one fell swoop...with lots of backlash from the pro editing community due to the similarity to the iMovie interface and lack of some major features that existed in FCP7. It was a great upgrade for FCE users, if they were willing to spend the $250 and had a computer that met the pretty high tech spec requirements. As of now, FCPX has added a great many features that were missing (there have been 8 updates) and it is much closer to FCP7 in terms of features. FCP7 still has more flexibility in some areas, but for us (fan editors), FCPX is really a great choice...again, if you have a computer that can run it.
FCE is sounding worse all the time. I'm gonna look at other options. I think I know a guy to ask whether FCP7 would install and run on my machine. He might even have an old license I could still use. #determination #exerciseinfutility