• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Danny Cannon's Judge Dredd

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember the burning sense of injustice (Pun intended) back in 1995 when my most beloved hero/anti-hero Judge Dredd was dragged beaten and humiliated before cinema audiences round the world, in the travesty that was Stallone's 1995's vehicle 'Judge Dredd'.

Obviously removing the helmet went against the entire inception of the Dredd strip. But it was the sanitising of the character and the inclusion of Rob Schneider's "Comedy" sidekick that I couldn't hack. However the worst thing was that during the first 15minutes there were flashes of the true character, tantilising us with what might have been.

Following last years tour-de-force adaptation 'Dredd' from director Pete Travis and Alex Garland I've felt somewhat more kindly disposed towards the 1995 film. If I've got at least one awesome Judge Dredd film in my collection, I can sleep a little better knowing there is a bad one in there too. So I wondered what I could do with my FanEdit scissors to make the film better, sure I couldn't fully fix it, as it's got everything so fundementally wrong in the first place. But surely I could make it watchable?

So starting from the assumption that if Director Danny Cannon had been given total creative freedom (And had recieved no interference from his producers or Stallone himself) the film would have been more serious and less of a departure from the comics. So I present...

^ (Dredd image is based on a poster that a teenage Danny Cannon drew himself)

Edit available as a 2.5gb *.mkv at the moment with a BR and DVD to follow.

General Cutlist:
- Added 'cop-show' style subtitles with 2000AD refrences
- De-saturated and darkened the image throughout
- Removed almost every shot of Stallone's face that showed internal conflict, sadness, happiness or any emotion other than barely suppressed anger
- Removed Hershey/love subplot, they're like Cop partners... that's it
- Added FanEDit introduction
- Removed Stallone's excessively large name check and replaced it with a re-coloured Dredd logo (Timed to music sting)
- Silenced the Schneider intro-sequence and cut it to James Earl Jones' prologue
- Brought the council meeting forward to be the start-proper
- Cut several moments of Schneider clowning during Block War
- Removed Stallone's bike/fire slow-mo intro
- Cut around Stallone's 'Cod-Piece' close up
- Removed perp pulling gun on Dredd so now Dredd just executes him in cold blood
- Removed almost all of the "I knew you'd say that" catchphrase
- Removed 'comedy' malfunctioning bike gags
- Cut the over emotional locker-room scene down to the minimum essential to the plot
- Removed shot of drunk-driver shouting "Noooooooo" Ewan TPM style
- Cut Olmeyer shouting "Yes!" and pumping the air with his fist
- Cut "I NEVER BETRAYED THE LAW... I AM THE LAAAWWWW!!" line
- Removed several overly familiar glances between Dredd and Hershey during the court room scene
- Cut as much of Scheider talking in the shuttle scene as was possible
- During the Angel gang sequence I've removed almost all of Schneider making light of the situation
- Made several cuts to the Angel/Judge-Hunter fight to increase pace
- Cut Olmeyer's "CGI terminal" line as this sounded bad back in 1995, nevermind 2013
- Removed the very end of the statue-of-justice scene, to increase emotion
- During the fireball run, I've removed as much of Schneider, once again, making light of the deadly situation
- Removed Schneider's immature gag about Dredd stripping another man's clothes
- Removed Schneider giving Dredd away when he is disguised
- Again cut the flying bike malfunction
- During the dangerous chase I've AGAIN removed Schneider making silly gags
- Removed botched FX shot of Dredd and Fergee clearly dying in a fireball
- Cut as much Schneider gags from Hershey's flat sequence as was possible
- Removed Dredd and Hershey getting romantic on her bed
- AGAIN!!! removed Schneider making light of having been shot in his stomach FFS!!!
- Cut Rico's infamous "LAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!" scream
- Removed more Schneider clowning atop the ABC robot
- Removed Hershey's "Judge bitch" line
- Cut a few shots of Stallone looking too emotional
- Removed Hershey's "... you owe me" lines
- Cut Scheider on stretcher, making gags to the minimum
- Cut the kiss and shots of Dredd looking longingly at Hershey
- Faded out finale music and added James Earl Jones reprise
- Added 'Judge Yr-Self' by Manic Street Preachers as the credits role (The song was not included in the original soundtrack due to Richie Edwards sudden disapperance)
- Several new credits added including a big nod to Dredd's creators John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra
- 'Judge Yr-Self' now followed by The Cure song (Rest of music cut)
- Custom 2000AD ident added to the end

^ That's all the major changes anyway

8964328373_f059fc20f6_o.jpg

THIS is the satirical badass Dredd that I grew up reading (And the character I've tried my best to restore to this edit)...

Judge+Dredd+Megazine+002+33.jpg

^ A character defining panel from 1990's iconic 'America' storyline by John Wagner and Colin MacNeil.

I'm one of the few that actually love the original Judge Dredd film, but then again I've never read the comic so I had nothing to compare the film against. I do like your cutlist though, and your new ending looks good, so color me interested.

Frantic Canadian said:
I'm one of the few that actually love the original Judge Dredd film, but then again I've never read the comic so I had nothing to compare the film against. I do like your cutlist though, and your new ending looks good, so color me interested.

The 1995 Dredd film was to the comic what Joel Schumacher's 'Batman & Robin' was to Batman.

i.e. an abomination

Well, given my avatar - you can colour me very interested. :p

- Cut the kiss and shots of Dredd looking longingly at Hershey

At last!

Have you seen Judge Dredd : Redemption?

EDIT : America was a fantastic story. Anyone uncertain as to why Dredd fans were so offended by 1995 Judge Dredd, should read that right there.

white43 said:
Well, given my avatar - you can colour me very interested. :p

At last!

Have you seen Judge Dredd : Redemption?

EDIT : America was a fantastic story. Anyone uncertain as to why Dredd fans were so offended by 1995 Judge Dredd, should read that right there.

No not seen 'Judge Dredd : Redemption' yet, will have to give it a look. I should have my edit up in a day or two. I'll let you know when it's done.

'America' was the highlight for me until the recent 'Tour Of Duty' books. Colin MacNeil's full painted work from that 1990 period is the best comic artwork ever drawn by anybody IMO. His digitally coloured work since then is great but not the same as the rich colour of stuff like 'Song Of The Surfer':

d_14_1.jpeg

Definitely take a look at Redemption. I think it's similar to your edit, but you have gone much further and addressed my grumbles with that edit. I look forward to yours!

I've not read any new Dredd for many years now. I may take a look at the Tour of Duty stuff and Origins.

BTW - I just watched your edit of the end of the film, nice removal of the kiss.

Nice I like the changes you made to the ending. I'm sure if you experimented a bit more you cut down Rob Schneider a bit more. But either way, good work!

Gatos said:
Nice I like the changes you made to the ending. I'm sure if you experimented a bit more you cut down Rob Schneider a bit more. But either way, good work!

OH believe me I did plenty of experimenting trying to remove more Schneider!

But if you cut what is left Dredd is just gonna start leaping from one spot to another or suddenly turning his head, or raising an arm. 1995's JD was a bitch to trim as it's actually a very tightly put together film. Pretty much everytime Schneider is talking in my edit, something important is happening like Stallone standing up. So it can't be removed since I don't have alternate footage to show Stallone standing.

e.g. In the preview above Dredd is striding very fast down the steps so I have to cutaway to Schneider to cover the gaps. But I have shortened the cutaways.

btw Dig the 'Taxi DRIVE(r)' trailer. I can see how your edit could easily play as a tonal prequel to Drive. Will you be pumping up the saturation and contrast to look like Drive's pallete? Also while you're at it you might as well fix the de-saturated blood in the final scene. I believe Scorcese wanted to fix it last time he restored TD but the unsensored footage had been lost.

TM2YC said:
OH believe me I did plenty of experimenting trying to remove more Schneider!

But if you cut what is left Dredd is just gonna start leaping from one spot to another or suddenly turning his head, or raising an arm. 1995's JD was a bitch to trim as it's actually a very tightly put together film. Pretty much everytime Schneider is talking in my edit, something important is happening like Stallone standing up. So it can't be removed since I don't have alternate footage to show Stallone standing.

e.g. In the preview above Dredd is striding very fast down the steps so I have to cutaway to Schneider to cover the gaps. But I have shortened the cutaways.

Understandable. There's only so much we can do as faneditors!

btw Dig the 'Taxi DRIVE(r)' trailer. I can see how your edit could easily play as a tonal prequel to Drive. Will you be pumping up the saturation and contrast to look like Drive's pallete? Also while you're at it you might as well fix the de-saturated blood in the final scene. I believe Scorcese wanted to fix it last time he restored TD but the unsensored footage had been lost.

Thanks! I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll just quickly say yes I'll be playing around with hue and tint for the film, and experiment with recoloring for the final shoot out.

I had the *mkv that my PC had been rendereding for the last 24hrs, all ready to go and then I noticed it had over cropped the first 10 seconds for some reason.......aaaarrgghh!

I'm on a Futsie rampage!!!! (See 200AD)

Here is the new cover. Decided I hated the old one. It's based on the layout style of the Megazine and Yearbook just prior to when the film came out.

8964328373_f059fc20f6_o.jpg

I had been planning on buying this DVD. You cemented my decision. It is en route. can't wait to see this cut.

Thanks, Frantic Canadian.

Fanedit said:
I had been planning on buying this DVD. You cemented my decision. It is en route. can't wait to see this cut.

^ Please Grud tell me you've got 'Dredd 2012' on DVD already, before you spent cash money on 'Dredd 1995'?!?

DreddandDredd1.jpg

^ This guy puts the fear of Grud into every Juve on the slab. ^ This guy couldn't scare a simp (He's only good for the wally squad).

This spoof was doing the rounds on the interweb within hours of Dredd 2012 coming out...

gaze.jpg

Which is of course a reference to this iconic Dredd vs The Dark Judges panel by Brian Bolland...

2004-05-12_071015_scan0003.jpg

btw this is the DVD edition to buy (Region 1) IMO as it has 5.1 audio...

31494671.jpg

(Be warned though the image is NON-animorphic, so you'll need VLC to crop it down for you).

...the Region 2 DVD (Which cover usually looks like this) only has stereo, I believe.

yDcVnC9Homd2Trt1rz7AzB7lx73.jpg

However other international editions have better Animorphic image quality I understand. Although the Blu-Ray is of course the best option. My edit is in HD you'll be pleased to hear.

An aditional note.

This may be a departure from usual FanEdit policy (Apologies but I feel it is justified in this specific case), but if you are gonna buy 'Dredd 1995' just to watch this edit, please buy 'Dredd 2012' instead (Or even as well).

As the dreadful 'Dredd 1995' has long-ago already made $23million profit...

...while the awesome 'Dredd 2012' is still $8.5million in the red. It's done huge business on DVD on BR (One of the top sellers of last year infact) but every penny counts towards securing a sequel.

Karl Urban said recently...

“Interestingly enough, I did have breakfast with Alex Garland this morning... (A sequel is) not off the agenda. Clearly everyone has woken up to the fact that an audience has found this movie and loves it. It’s entirely possible, and if people want to see another instalment then they should be vocal about that, because it can happen. The power of fandom can resurrect projects. In fact, that’s what happened with Star Trek. They weren’t going to do a third season until fans did a letter writing campaign and they continued that series.”

There even a Facebook campaign...

https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel

249146_294870037316134_1574485584_n.jpg

and another thing...

This cover below (And the poster it is based on) for DREDD 2012 is absolutely awful looking. I was thinking of doing a replacement one, anybody interested.

91XnAk2y8wL._AA1500_.jpg

Could maybe base it on...

dredd-cover.jpg

and this image teasing the forthcoming comic sequel is cool...

dredd-cover-with-textjpg-a900aa_640w.jpg

Although it would be nice to have Olivia Thirlby on the cover too, 'cause she kicked ass in Dredd.

Uploaded this while the mkv is rendering...

TM2YC said:
^ Please Grud tell me you've got 'Dredd 2012' on DVD already, before you spent cash money on 'Dredd 1995'?!?

Ordered 'em both in Blu-ray. I just started getting into JD after seeing Dredd. Also started reading the Complete case files.

Fanedit said:
Ordered 'em both in Blu-ray. I just started getting into JD after seeing Dredd. Also started reading the Complete case files.

Nice.

I've read through all of the Case Files myself. The huge early black n white volumes are excellent value for money. When Dredd goes full colour the volumes get a bit more expensive but still great.

Can I also reccomend another 2000AD book 'Alan Moore's Future Shocks'...

alan_moore_future_shocks-new.jpg

One of the world's greatest writers penning short comic morality tales. Very dark, very clever, very funny. This book collects together all of the FS shorts Alan Moore wrote for 2000AD. If you like the Douglas Adams' style of humour you'll love this.

Speaking of the Dredd 2012 DVD, I got the lame UK release and the awesome French release:

dredd_steel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom