• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BD Reader/Burner Recommendations?

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can anyone recommend an external BD burner for the Mac? I wouldn't be using it too often so it doesn't have to be fancy, but I do want it to be reliable.

Thanks!

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With anything involving bluray, I default to the creator, Sony. I don't like Sony in general, but their bluray hardware is pretty solid. Pioneer would be my second choice. I've always had great success with their optical drives, especially with more difficult formats like bluray and dual-layer.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Pioneer BDR-205 is still working great after a couple years of use.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Dude! Might want to chime in on this thread before starting a new thread. Especially since you are another local mac expert and the same issues are being discussed. Also l8wrtr addresses your question. http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?9823-Exporting-Mov-into-a-good-quality-edit
Just added my two cents to the thread.
It honestly irks me a little bit that mac people here don't do more to help other mac people on the tech forums.

Dude, that thread was started AFTER my threads. I'm actually amazed at how much activity that thread got so quickly (I was not on my computer after 5pm, which is when that thread got posted, by the way). I of course would have tried to help out a fellow mac user and would have chimed in on that thread without your prodding. But seriously, I didn't start my threads without first looking for another thread that was the same.

Finally, only one issue overlaps and that is with my other thread I started (that has no replies, and again was posted first) about what ripping software to use. The thread you point out actually is more about the entire workflow. Plus, he is not using FCPX I think, which does make a difference. Yes, you are correct, L8 offers an answer (for my other thread, not this one) saying he uses PavTube, and I will investigate that.

Now, back on the topic of THIS thread... ;-)

I would still would like someone to comment on the BD Burner I linked to, or provide me an alternative external BD burner to use for the mac (less than $200 please if $100 isn't going to get a decent enough burner). My only concern with the one I linked to is that it is bus powered and uses USB2. But again, I've seen multiple comments using google that seems to imply it works fine with Macs. I was just hoping to hear from someone here first before I pull the trigger on it.

Regarding the BD-205 that was mentioned earlier, that's an internal burner and would have to be housed externally. Same thing with the BD-208 (which seems similar but is about half the price of the BD-205).

I guess I'm really just trying to find a mac fan editor that uses an external BD burner and knows if the one I linked to (the BDR-XD04) is a good one to go with, or what other alternative I should consider.

Thanks!

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, I was just grumpy.

RE: BD drive: From pioneer's FAQ "
[h=3]8. - Does the BDR-XD04 work in a Mac OS X environment?[/h]Answer: Although Pioneer does not guarantee operation with Mac OS X, being that the drive is connected through USB, the drive can operate in a Mac OS X environment (tested with Mac OS X 10.6.7). The drive should be able to read and write to Blu-ray, DVD, and CD media but it depends on the Mac OS software (finder/disc utility/etc). Video playback also depends on the Mac OS software. Note that the bundled CyberLink software does not work in the Mac OS X environment. Read and write performance will not be the same in a Mac OS X environment."

So yes, it should work, assuming you have a USB port.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for finding that quote from Pioneer's site.

geminigod said:
So yes, it should work, assuming you have a USB port.

hah hah, yes I have one, apple hasn't removed those from their computers...yet...

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a 2009 iMac running latest OSX. I use a Digistor external BD drive which has proven quite handy and dependable. It is a tray loader rather than slot (something I prefer) and has a nice feature in that it can run in essentially 3 modes:
1) dedicated power (must buy the power adapter separately)
2) Powered via chargeable battery + USB. This is a nifty idea. It has an built-in battery that passively charges via the USB when not in use. During normal use it draws power via the USB and if/as needed from the battery. I want to say that this is supposed to supply 6 hours of read/write time.
3) It comes with a special Y-USB cable, two USB ends plug into your computer and they combine into the external drive, so one pulls all the power it needs while the other handles data transfer.

I got it two December 2011 and it's been problem free (knock on wood).

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your comments L8. I went ahead and bought the pioneer bdr-xd04 which does have an optional ac adapter and a y USB cable (but no battery backup, that's a nifty feature!) - I will be testing it out once I get it and will report back here.

one thing I noticed that is included with your drive is archival software that works with the Mac - that's something I won't be getting with mine, unfortunately. Have you used that included software, and if so do you find it useful? If not, do you archive data to BD and if so, what software do you use?

I'd like to be able to do this and ideally have something that will automatically span multiple BDs for me. Also, I've heard that the Finder will let you drag and drop and burn natively; have you found that to be the case?

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick update - I received the Pioneer BDR-XD04 and can confirm it seems to work fine with the Mac. I have ripped a BD using makemkv, as well as watched part of a BD with VLC. I have not yet tested any of the burning capabilities yet, but will report back when I have done so. Still looking for good archiving software that will span discs.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
binom said:
good thanks:)

SAY IT ONCE AGAIN, I DARE YOU!!!!

PulpFiction.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, that one made me laugh.

Severian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a note that another Mac-friendly option is the Samsung SE-506 ($85 on Amazon) - have successfully used it for both viewing and burning. Haven't tried out any disc-spanning archiving software yet, though. Also, it doesn't come with any Mac software, but VLC, FCPX/Compressor, MakeMKV, PavTube all work with it.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got an LG external that I ain't happy with.
Fine for CDs, does well ripping, cannot burn DVD.
Video craps out as the lens nears the outer edge.
Now -- discs play fine in computer, only have trouble using BluRay player or DVD standalone.

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Severian said:
Just a note that another Mac-friendly option is the Samsung SE-506 ($85 on Amazon) - have successfully used it for both viewing and burning. Haven't tried out any disc-spanning archiving software yet, though. Also, it doesn't come with any Mac software, but VLC, FCPX/Compressor, MakeMKV, PavTube all work with it.

I bought the Samsung over Christmas. Very easy to use, just plug in, download a ripping program and play. Have ripped Blu-Rays successfully using PavTube and MakeMKV. Very good value for money. My biggest issue has been PavTube's inability to rip certain BluRays.

Top Bottom