• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Ender's Game [2013]

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I have no opinion on this one having never read the novel. Trailer looks neat, could be good, maybe.
Glad to see that Sci-Fi movies are getting churned out at breakneck speed again. maybe some of them will be good.

When I saw this trailer before star trek I thought it was a sequel to independence day [ID4] at first. LOL

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure about how it's gonna turn out with that kid in the main role, kids in sci fi usually mean sci fi lite, unless they're called newt.

Also Ben Kingsley looks bloody rediculous.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The series of books was amazing. I'm hoping this turns out well, but I have a bad feeling it won't be.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Harrison Ford + Science Fiction + good trailer = my ass in theater no matter how shitty the movie could be in the end.
I know I'm easily sold ;)

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never read any Enders Game books, but am aware of their reputation. I can only hope this adaptation will be actually good, fingers crossed.

Now if only Hollywood would get its collective head out of its ass and adapt Hyperion ...

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
Now if only Hollywood would get its collective head out of its ass and adapt Hyperion ...

They'd for sure mess that up. It's such a complex series I'd be terrified they'd dumb it down to something completely uninteresting.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:

Ditto Spellsinger Series
Ditto Earthsea Series <- SciFi Channel attempted it, didn't go well.
Ditto (Another Fine) Myth Series

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=6547]elbarto1[/MENTION]: pretty please fix the typo in the thread title? ;-)

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a fan of all the books (except shadow in flight.... I've yet to read it) i'm glad it's finally making it to the big screen, that said it looks like they are pandering to the Hunger Games crowd so I'm a little cautious. Also the other books are different in tone so I doubt they'd ever adapt those unless they decide to focus on 'Bean' in the sequels. I guess 12 years ago I figured Haley Joel Osment would've been the perfect casting choice to play Ender. Though my preference at the time would've been uncanny valley with the actual kids aging from kindergartners to tweens like they did in the books, but hey, not everything can be adapted right?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
They'd for sure mess that up. It's such a complex series I'd be terrified they'd dumb it down to something completely uninteresting.

Well yeah, theres plenty of room to mess it up; but the right screenplay for the right director could pull it off... I can see Guillermo del Toro or Neill Blomkamp tackling it properly.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
elbarto1: pretty please fix the typo in the thread title? ;-)

Since this has been bugging me too, and we never know when Bart will show up next, and someone else already repeated the mistake...I've taken the liberty of fixing it.

I read the four Ender books and a few of the Bean parallelquels (?). I liked the first of each best, the rest provided diminishing returns. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Since this has been bugging me too, and we never know when Bart will show up next, and someone else already repeated the mistake...I've taken the liberty of fixing it.

You, sir, are a good man. :)

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is actually one of my favorite series of books -- and unlike most of the people I know, I enjoyed Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind even moreso than the first one. Which I guess is why it pains me to see such a terrible trailer make this movie look so painfully generic while at the same time revealing the entire plot. I mean, who knows, it might be good. But this isn't giving me good feels.

I dunno, I'll see the movie, but I'm feeling pessimistic about it; expect the worst and I won't be disappointed.

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My favourite book ever. For those of you that haven't read it, it's a short novel too (adapted from a short story he wrote while he was developing what became the next 3 books). So read it :)

I expect it'll need to be quite different from the book to be effective.. a retelling from a different angle.. hopefully they'll do a good job.

Did anyone notice that the trailer seems to show a snippet of the original attack, but that footage looks to be more an attack on "today's world", rather than 50 years from now or so (as it was written).

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I saw the trailer I thought, well it looks cool but I just saw the whole movie, even the ending is spoiled.

I guess it's a moot point though, if you've read the book you know what happens. If you haven't read it, you wouldn't recognize it as the ending. Maybe.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
When I saw the trailer I thought, well it looks cool but I just saw the whole movie, even the ending is spoiled.

I guess it's a moot point though, if you've read the book you know what happens. If you haven't read it, you wouldn't recognize it as the ending. Maybe.

These days I rarely watch a trailer more than once (sometime twice, but that's it).
After some weeks I almost completly forget what I've seen except the "like it/like it not" feeling.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Monsieur_Madeleine said:
This is actually one of my favorite series of books -- and unlike most of the people I know, I enjoyed Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind even moreso than the first one. Which I guess is why it pains me to see such a terrible trailer make this movie look so painfully generic while at the same time revealing the entire plot. I mean, who knows, it might be good. But this isn't giving me good feels.

I dunno, I'll see the movie, but I'm feeling pessimistic about it; expect the worst and I won't be disappointed.

I didn't enjoy it more than those other books, but I do actually enjoy them a great deal. I'm so far behind though, I have yet to read shadow in flight and I thought that was the last book, but he's just released the second in a trilogy dealing with the formic wars

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everyone should read Ender's Game. It is a classic at this point and a short read. You don't have to read further into the series. There is no way the movie can be as good as the book. Too much of it involves subtle strategy and things that are going on in Ender's head.

That said, still super f#$%ing excited.

Top Bottom