• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Under the Dome [2013] - a summer miniseries!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haven't read the book, but as a huge fan of the Mist movie, I'm pretty excited for this... I definitely dig it when an absurd high-concept idea is taken utterly seriously:

Best of all, however, as a miniseries, it should have a coherent sense of where it's going and build to a kick-ass, memorable conclusion, unlike some other open-ended high-concept shows I always avoided but could nevertheless name. :p

Anyone here read the book? Any non-spoiler opinions on it and whether it ends well? :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought this was a tv show and I really wasn't interested. Now that I know it's a miniseries, I might have to check it out.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like it could be good, didn't read the book. Sweet that Brian K Vaughan wrote it.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boooks been sitting on my shelf for at least a year or so, think I'll wait for some reviews before I try the show as the last few King miniseries have been bloody awful.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! Really looking forward to this, as I love Stephen King's ideas but hate his writing style. (I love The Mist and The Shining as films, The Stand as comic adaptation, and I also loved the most King-inspired parts of Lost. Sadly, the good adaptations are few and far between.)

Brian K. Vaughan is almost a guarantee that this will be at least decent (and better than most King miniseries). He's probably the most solid writer in comics (have you ever read a truly bad Vaughan issue?), and he also has screenwriting experience (his Lost episodes were all excellent). Also, the directors seem very capable: Niels Arden Oplev made the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original title: "Män som hatar kvinnor" (literally "Men Who Hate Women")), which was good, and made Noomi Rapace a star; and Jack Bender (more or less the man (in addition to J.J.) who made Lost the best-looking show on TV) is on board for at least two episodes.

I actually have high hopes for this.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, sweet, I didn't know Vaughan was involved! It may not be great, but that's practically a guarantee it won't suck, particularly with the plot/theme similarities to Y: The Last Man. :-D

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me or does this show have really shitty dialog?

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see they're continuing this into a second season. Didn't the whole event only last a week in the book?

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this show is really really stretched out.

a lot of soapy dialog and "dramatic cut to commerical" hinting at conflicts that then aren't there after the commercial.
like junior seeing the reporter and asking in a threatening way "what are YOU doing here?"
after the commercial just in a casual tone "what are you doing here?"

it really is an average to bad adaption or TV series in general

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's good it was a summer series otherwise I would have dropped it by now. I suppose I could watch something else (finally watch Breaking Bad?), but it is holding my interest just enough to stick with it. Though I can't say why; I read the book and know what's coming (for the most part).

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually really enjoying this so far, started watching it with a view to getting bored after 4-5 eps due to it being very similar to a lot of other SK ensemble pieces.

And I've been pleasantly surprised that it's turned out to be a rather enjoyable little story, sure all the usual stuff is in there, townsfolk with hidden agendas, old grudges and scores to settle, new people with some sort of connection or have been strangely drawn to the place etc. etc.

But, for some reason it's greater than the sum of it's parts and while I can't say I'm particularly emotionally involved with any of the characters I do want to know what happens to them and how they figure out what is going on.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the series would be an ideal candidate for a fanedit... I can feel it :D

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
man this series gets funnier the minute!

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm almost up to date with this (one ep behind), and I agree that it would be perfect for a fanedit. So many unnecessary plotlines.

And the stupidity! The scene where Julia - the otherwise only smart and level-headed person in town - lets her last match burn out because Junior (a psychopath with pretty serious jealousy issues) says Barbie's hiding something? Dumbest scene of the year. Easily.

I still enjoy it, though! Surprisingly! Simon Doonan of Slate called it "insanely bad" - and yet he recommended it on the Gabfest podcast. I feel the same way.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Once the girlfriend and I heard there was going to be a second season, we jumped ship after the 5th episode. We had had enough of the terrible dialogue and sub-par acting. I leaned over to her and said how about we wait for a fan-edit of this because I'm sure someone will tackle it? She was more than happy to oblige. Clearly we agree there is something there to the story line, but too many awful subplots and bad dialogue and that Asian stoner guy is so laughably cliched.

Really hope someone will edit this once the series has concluded.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
funny thing is watching the series with people who have skipped a few episodes and then watch their reactions

"wait a minute... why is she now ok with the guy who locked her up?"

under the dome is my weekly reality check for the difference between Breaking Bad and Television

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I stopped watching after Episode 8, catching up now. This is a terrible show. It's crazy that Dean Norris stars in both the greatest show of 2013 and the worst show of 2013.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Despite the fact this show, while not excessively terrible, is pretty far from great, I'm still going to tune in next season, if only because after 13 episodes, I'm committed to the story and must see it through. Unless they renew it for season 3 because [newborn crying] that.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what a great an preposterous finale to this marvelous abomination

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I gave up after about 5 episodes when I decided I had better things to do.

Top Bottom