• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Avengers: Age of Ultron

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is confirmed via Joss Whedon that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will be added to the cast of Avengers 2.

Very interesting choice, I mean Scarlet Witch can manipulate space and time to the point she erased all but like 100 some mutants just by saying "No More Mutants"

Quick Silver has super speed. Not to mention the SON of Magneto.

I am officially stoked to see what they do with these characters. But makes me wonder if Marvel Studio's have a deal with Fox to use some mutants. Because I was under the understanding that all rights to the mutants belong to Fox and the X-men franchise. Also we saw the Iron Patriot in iron Man 3. Which originally in the comic was piloted by none other than Norman Osbourn. Which is owned by Sony.

So it looks like perhaps Marvel are having back room meetings to get access to some of it's characters that belong to other studios.

Needless to say I think added some mutants to the mix should add for some interesting dynamics. Not to mention as Joss pointed out, Basically all of the Avengers in part 1 were "Punchy Powers" As to where Quicksilver has a visually appealing super speed and Witch cast very visual spell's.

Thoughts

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even more interesting is Quick Silver is slated to appear in Xmen: Future past.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because of some copyright thingy Marvel can use those 2 but they cant refer to them as mutants, or have magneto be their father or basically use anything with them that is xmen related. Fox on the other hand can use them as xmen but without using anything from their avengers exploits. So we are getting 2 versions of the same character

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
Because of some copyright thingy Marvel can use those 2 but they cant refer to them as mutants, or have magneto be their father or basically use anything with them that is xmen related. Fox on the other hand can use them as xmen but without using anything from their avengers exploits. So we are getting 2 versions of the same character

Details like magneto being their dad is ok to cut, but ignoring the fact they are mutants is BS. If they just ignore the fact and give no character development Im not sure it will work. If they pull a hulk 1 and rein-vision the characters i dont think it will work.

Not mentioning the xmen is fine. Not to mention he was a late addition to the Xmen. Much like hawkeye witch and quicksilver were villians and apart of magneto's crew.

Hopefully they flesh the characters out and dont just use the name and powers

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also from what i read marvel cant call them quicksilver and scarlet witch and instead has to refer to them as pietro and wanda (their regular names). Honestly i dont see the reason to use those 2 characters so drastically different. Cant they simply use characters they Have their full rights instead?

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well whedon said he chose those two for their powers. He wanted some heroes with SFX powers. As he put it the current avengers are all "punchy" powers.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way I see it, Wanda is going to be an apprentice of Doctor Strange and Pietro is going to have either experimented on by the Kree (or Chitari or whatever), or have been yet another attempt to recreate Captain America

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I wanted mutants, I'd watch X-Men.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
If I wanted mutants, I'd watch X-Men.

Sadly thats prolly how most people feel. But mutant's well before the house of M were a HUGE part of the marvel universe. There are so much more to mutants than the xmen, the xmen movies short of part 2 are subpar at best. New class was BS. I personally look forward to what marvel studio's does with the characters.

Personally i dont think we will see another good xmen movie until marvel studio's gets a crack at it.

But back to the point, its sad that the masses think that the xmen are the only mutants worth thinking about.

Some of the best avengers have been mutants.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved X-Men 1, 2 and First Class. X3 and Wolverine were garbage, though.

At any rate, whatever happens, I hope the next Avengers movie is able to work in this song in some way. ;)

Farlander

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really feel that X-Men universe and the rest of Marvel Universe should be separate.

It always struck me as weird that the X-Men, main conflict of which is pretty much about the place of mutants in society (with different groups of mutants and people having different views), is in the same universe as Captain America, Fantastic Four and the likes... who are beloved and celebrated heroes and are pretty much, *GASP*, mutants themselves!

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Farlander said:
I really feel that X-Men universe and the rest of Marvel Universe should be separate.

It always struck me as weird that the X-Men, main conflict of which is pretty much about the place of mutants in society (with different groups of mutants and people having different views), is in the same universe as Captain America, Fantastic Four and the likes... who are beloved and celebrated heroes and are pretty much, *GASP*, mutants themselves!
THANK YOU!
Having the rest of the Marvel heroes on the same universe with X-Men, it cheapens them a lot. Most of them become not special or unique anymore. They become just people who forced their mutations for a lot of cases. I feel X-Men should be their own separate universe. They just don't make sense to me with the rest of Marvel's heroes...

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it doesn't really matter to me how they get their power.
the mutant evolution "explanation" is really more to make you think about progress and evolution and how humans can reject change. as avengers 2 will certainly not deal with racism and the stuff the x-men are doing i don't care what plot device they invent for the crazy powers

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't care about X-Men, or Avengers TBH. I'm not a comic book guy, and typically not a superhero movie guy either. People said Iron Man was good, even if you aren't into that sort of thing, so I watched and I agreed. People said the same about The Avengers, so I watched and agreed. If they are going to make Avengers 2 more like X-Men, I'll be skipping it most likely.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Farlander said:

But they're the product of science, whereas the X-Men were born like that. Don't you see? It's completely different! ;)

Seriously, though, Joss Whedon's X-Men run actually included a reference to that. Cyclops commented something to the effect of: "We need to do better PR and help people understand who we are and what we're about. People don't chase the Fantastic Four with pitchforks like they do to us."

I don't understand why people would be less interested in Avengers 2 if it has mutants. It's not like these characters are being invented for the first time; they're all part of the Marvel universe anyway. And if they were Avengers in the comics, why not have them be Avengers in the movie?

My only concern is the Quicksilver thing. Having him in two movies played by different actors could lead to confusion for the mainstream audience.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree, emanswfan. It's a nice quote, but it doesn't prove anything.

Of course Hugh Jackman wants to be in the next Avengers. The previous Avengers was the third-highest grossing movie of all time. And I think most of us would like to see interaction between the two universes. The real question is whether or not the lawyers will allow it.

Disney could pay a licensing fee, since they're the ones in the power position right now, but for that very same reason, do they want to? As much money as the X-Men films have made, The Avengers has made even more. Fox needs Disney more than Disney needs Fox.

We'll see. I'm personally in favor of a crossover, provided that it's done right.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I think most of us would like to see interaction between the two universes. The real question is whether or not the lawyers will allow it.
Nah, I'm with Farlander and g1orkatsos; the X-Men and MCU universes should never overlap - not without the characters in question literally crossing universes, Lyra Silvertongue style, and even then, it'd almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth. I also like Spidey being the only superhero in his universe, though I could certainly accept him in the MCU. I'd rather see the Fantastic Four and Daredevil in period pieces than contemporary movies, which would pretty much rule them out from the MCU, but if they did join in on the present day I'd most likely roll with it.

Similarly, I've got no interest in seeing Bats and Supes share a universe. The crossover I'd most like to see would be The Punisher as a dubious ally/quasi-villain in a Garfield Spider-Man. Otherwise, as far as Marvel goes, I think the status quo is working great so far.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All right, "most of us" was an overstatement. :)

Still, these characters have been interacting together since the beginnings of their publication history. World's Finest started up in the 1940s, and crossovers still happen all the time between Superman and Batman. And Spider-Man first teamed up with the FF in his second appearance ever! So, IMO, it's not a stretch to put these characters together on film as well.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I'd rather see the Fantastic Four and Daredevil in period pieces than contemporary movies,

I'd love to see a gritty Daredevil movie set in the 80's.

Top Bottom