• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lucas' Original Prequel Plan

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An excerpt from 'The Making Of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi' has revealed George Lucas' conceptual map of the 'Star Wars' prequels. Taken from a story conference for 'Return of the Jedi' in 1981 the transcript detailed a conversation between the writer Lawrence Kasdan and Lucas, elaborating on concepts such as Anakin's fall to the darkside and how Yoda would never use a lightsaber.

Vist the link bellow for the full conversation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/star-wars-prequels-return-of-the-jedi_n_3313793.html

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not fanediting news related, still an awesome read though. Moved to Movies.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, Lucas making some valid points about Yoda being more of a teacher than a real Jedi and Kasdan answering that he does not like the idea of a not fighting Yoda...
It really sounds like 1981 was a complete alternate universe. haha.

megafat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So even George Lucas has had better ideas than George Lucas.

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Not fanediting news related, still an awesome read though. Moved to Movies.

Sorry Neg, thanks for fixing that up. I should also mention how many of the ideas have been utilised in some prequel fan edits such as TheKcutter keeping Padme alive.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ShortRound24 said:
I should also mention how many of the ideas have been utilised in some prequel fan edits such as TheKcutter keeping Padme alive.
Yeh, I've already read this article and have been working to see how many of these things that haven't been done in PT edits are possible and how they can work in my radical re-edits of the PT.

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Yeh, I've already read this article and have been working to see how many of these things that haven't been done in PT edits are possible and how they can work in my radical re-edits of the PT.

A guru, no fighting Yoda please ;-)

Loving your filmic stills for "Attack of the Clones" btw

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the idea of yoda once being a warrior and later settling down for a teaching/guru gig—this works better than the idea of yoda teaching jedi but not having the real life experience to inform his teachings.

in episplode 5, there's mention of yoda being (or having been) a great warrior. no way to unwrite that, though that doesn't mean we should see him fight in the prequels, either.

i just don't get the sense that yoda was merely 1) versed in buddhist wisdom and 2) a drill sergeant for telekinesis. he was once a BAMF warrior, but he's now retired because of age [and/or a sex scandal at the academy].

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
in episplode 5, there's mention of yoda being (or having been) a great warrior.

Luke is searching for what he thinks is a great warrior, but Yoda tells him that "war not make one great".
According to Yoda a Jedi never uses his power for attack.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with TMBTM. Also, even if he were a powerful warrior that doesn't mean that he has to jump around like Sonic the Hedgehog.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, keep in mind that he's really old both in the PT and the OT, unlike, say, Obi-Wan, who clearly aged a lot in both his appearance and fighting style. Yoda walks around with a freakin' CANE even in the PT, although he obviously doesn't need it (lying bastard). I'm fine with imagining a younger, less scruffy-looking Yoda without a cane, at say 300 years of age (or younger). The 300 year old Yoda could be Sonic, I don't care. But an elderly dwarf with a cane should simply not jump around. It's Lucas trying to have it both ways, he didn't want a younger-looking Yoda because that would be alienating but he wanted the fighter all the same. I call bollocks.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
very good points, the slime. That said, I still think that Yoda the Hedgehog is a bad idea regardless of whether or not his body can handle it.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I agree with that. I meant more as a kind of implied backstory - that he at some point was a warrior, but now he's an old man who's more powerful than ever, but who exerts his power/influence in other, less violent ways.

In short, I see ssj's point. But the implication that he one point actually fought with a sword is enough. We don't need to see it - and we sure as hell don't need a Yoda who fakes a disability. (Is that some kind of Jedi trick? Why not a wheelchair while he's at it.)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
and we sure as hell don't need a Yoda who fakes a disability.

I think I can already hear Lucas answer to that:
"You know, theslime. In fact Yoda is indeed old and need a cane to walk. His body is not what it used to be. BUT when, and ONLY when he needs to use his power, then the Force flows into his body and he jumps around like a frog."

(Yeah, I'm good at playing the devil's advocate.)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha, not good enough. That statement will fool no man. :)

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yoda's disability isn't fake - it's just that when he fights he calls on the force to flow through him. However, I think Yoda+light sabre was daft - he should have simply used the force, so in tune with it he is.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I think I agree with that. I meant more as a kind of implied backstory - that he at some point was a warrior, but now he's an old man who's more powerful than ever, but who exerts his power/influence in other, less violent ways.

In short, I see ssj's point. But the implication that he one point actually fought with a sword is enough. We don't need to see it - and we sure as hell don't need a Yoda who fakes a disability. (Is that some kind of Jedi trick? Why not a wheelchair while he's at it.)

Well he does use a hover chair...

Top Bottom