• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the Agent Carter short. It was alright... when not really justified in-universe (as in Hanna from Hanna is so so strong because she's genetically enhanced), the beautiful woman who beats the crap out of several dudes is a pretty grating cliche, complete with obligatory groin shot (whereas one would never see a Hollywood guy kicking a woman there, and I bet it's a similarly if not as notororiously vulnerable area for women), but it really pisses me off that Carter does her mission in heels. Why the hell wouldn't she wear some sensible boots, like Romanoff does in IM2? No reason whatsoever, except to further the cliche of the almost magically badass Hollywood woman. One might say this is just a detail, but details count. To my mind, the best one-shot remains the first one, The Consultant.

I am also extremely skeptical that even the highly ambitious Marvel/Disney team would undertake a period adventure show in addition to AoS, let alone one starring a British woman. That said, I could absolutely see an AoS flashback ep or maybe recurring arc in which our present-day agents run into some remnant of a mission she undertook, and the we go back in time and follow her as she does it, that sort of thing... just give her some boots next time she does a field mission, for crying out loud. :|

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally had time to watch the pilot of this tonight, and I thought it was really fun. I'll be watching for sure.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been hearing mixed reactions from people so I was a bit nervous going in, but that nervous was unwarranted. This was classic Whedon and engaging. I'm now nervous because of the rumors coming out later episodes suffer from scripting problems, but I guess only time will tell. For now I'm sold and will continue to watch the show.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I've been hearing mixed reactions from people so I was a bit nervous going in, but that nervous was unwarranted. This was classic Whedon and engaging. I'm now nervous because of the rumors coming out later episodes suffer from scripting problems, but I guess only time will tell. For now I'm sold and will continue to watch the show.

Agreed, but for the record, Joss is just an executive producer on this. My understanding is his brother is in charge.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Agreed, but for the record, Joss is just an executive producer on this. My understanding is his brother is in charge.

This is true, but Joss is the head honcho to make sure it's done right. I suspect he'll step in if anything starts to go wrong. He's already had two shows cancelled before their time (Firefly, Dollhouse) and I'm guessing he'd rather not add a third to the list.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jed is is doing us a little favor.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's aired on the East Coast, so spoilers for episode two are now fair game. To my fellow West Coasters still on the West Coast, you shouldn't be reading this thread in the hour between it finishing airing here and starting airing there. Sound good? Alright then, cause...

NICK mutha****in' FURY, all hell yeah! That last line was awesome. A TNG shout-out, or am I reading too much into it? So cool and unexpected of the show to drop such a major cameo appearance in a throwaway tag bit many people won't even stick around for. Those Marvel guys have a sense of humor, you gotta give 'em that. :-D

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh man... the writing of the show is seriously stuck in the 90s...

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coulson's quirkiness makes this feel a bit like Stargate SG-1 IMHO. And in a good way. I really like this show.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So far, I'm finding it "all right". Not bad, not great. Just all right. A lot of that is because I don't care all that much for most of the characters. Coulson is good, but the rest are just "meh", and some (especially Skye, Fitz, and Simmons, can be annoying at times).

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just thought I'd say I already started preliminary work on the serialized edits for this series (at least with temporary HDTV rips (only usable source ATM), the final being Bluray sourced obviously). I'm almost done with a rough cut of the pilot. I'll be posting a new thread in the in-the-works section sometime very soon.

The pilot is turning out to be much improved, but IMO not entirely salvageable. The second episode is already becoming something much closer in quality to the one-shots, maybe even the films. I also started work on a new color grade to give it a far more cinematic look which helps the series, a huge amount.

Again, more info when I post the new thread soon.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This show is utterly boring. I'm sorry, but I think Whedon's time as a tv giant has come and gone, his style is so cliche and dated and as someone in here said, there are shows with much more brilliance and original flavor in their writing such as Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Marvel's tv output, at least these days, normally does tend to stink, as anyone who's seen their recent crop of crappy cartoons can attest, they need to step up their game, they may be the flavor of the month when it comes to movies, but they're ripe for a fall and I hope they eat humble pie if this show gets axed. I really don't like Marvel all that much and I'm looking for them to fail.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
This show is utterly boring.

I really don't like Marvel all that much and I'm looking for them to fail.

:-|
Way to generalize. You really don't like anything about the show? It's all boring?

I mean, in my opinion, it's not boring at all and is freaking fantastic. The only thing I don't like or excuse is Skye's character acting very ditzy despite allegedly being a "genius". That's my problem I have with a certain type of character that pops up frequently in television. Other than that, I've been sucked in and am along for the ride now.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you feel the way you do about the show/Marvel? Your feelings about the show are obviously connected to your opinion of the company.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I really don't like Marvel all that much and I'm looking for them to fail.

For a brief moment, I was taking you seriously, but then I read the above quote. It's a network show, comparing it to Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones is pointless. It could possibly be compared to Warehouse 13, Smallville or the Stargate shows.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ This. Obviously, given the constraints of its existence within the MCU and its need to recoup high production costs, expecting something groundbreaking or even edgy is just silly. It's a lighthearted popcorn entertainment show; if that's not to your interests, nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make it crap.

I myself am not sure how much lasting potential this series has, and could definitely see an ideal run being only 2-3 seasons long. That said, it's certainly off to a fun start.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Third episode in, and it's still getting better. This episode there was some better dialogue and less cringe-worthy moments, improving upon episode 2. However, all the cheesy and annoying callbacks and references are getting tiring. Though I like when they actually joke at a cliche or cheesy line. Also, for once the characters are starting to become just barely likeable, though there's still a lot further to go.

For all I know, this series might just have started really badly. And by the time, we get a few seasons in it becomes virtually perfection, much like how the Clone Wars started off terribly, but it wasn't till the final arc of the series, that it reached something truly awesome.

Oddly, enough the IGN reviews for the episodes are actually going down. Did they really like the horrifically bad pilot that much?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I rewatch past Wheadon series, Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse, they all had very uneven first seasons. Only Firefly felt fully formed out of the gate but then was totally messed with by the Network by airing the eps out of order.

I like the character stuff and how each episode builds upon/references the previous. There is a lacking energy to the actual missions -- to me it just does not feel quite epic or driven enough.

I have to admit, I find Agent Ward completely bland and miscast. I keep hoping they are going to pull a Doyle with his character.

Other than that, I still enjoying the series for it is clear they are building towards a bigger a story. So I will keep watching.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
When I rewatch past Wheadon series, Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse, they all had very uneven first seasons. Only Firefly felt fully formed out of the gate but then was totally messed with by the Network by airing the eps out of order.

I like the character stuff and how each episode builds upon/references the previous. There is a lacking energy to the actual missions -- to me it just does not feel quite epic or driven enough.

I have to admit, I find Agent Ward completely bland and miscast. I keep hoping they are going to pull a Doyle with his character.

Other than that, I still enjoying the series for it is clear they are building towards a bigger a story. So I will keep watching.

I agree. The actors aren't exactly world class actors that can turn shit into sunshine and draw me in as an audience, but it might help if the writers would give them a little more sunshine. So far I am really enjoying the narrative, but the dialogue isn't the greatest and the show isn't emotionally grabbing me.

I kinda started rooting for the bad guy in this last episode just because the actor has such a stronger screen presence than any of the protagonists.

Hopefully the writers will find their groove and help the actors flesh their characters out a bit more as the season progresses.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Oddly, enough the IGN reviews for the episodes are actually going down. Did they really like the horrifically bad pilot that much?
Dude, I'm pretty sure you're alone in drinking that haterade. I don't think anyone here's calling it the best pilot/forty-minute dramatic presentation ever, but saying it was magnitudes worse than these second and third eps is a bit cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs, IMHO. ;-)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maybe the reviews were more forgiving towards the pilot because it was still a "we don't know what this series will be"?
After 3-4 episodes one can usually tell what kind of tv series it is and with Agents of Shield it really seems like lesson of the week with a tahiti reference at the end.
I think Marvel knows what market they are targeting as this series is probably teh awesum for teenage kids going to school and talking about the newest adventures of those cool agents. from a drama perspective it is a very weak series but as a CSI: Shield it probably works fine
My mistake was probably coming from breaking bad and house of cards and thinking that general tv has evolved into more than things like Under the Dome and Shield where the conflicts are mostly episodic and immediately dealt with

Top Bottom