• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
I was hoping for a Gotham Central show for years... let's hope it comes!
Hell yea to that! I really like the Gotham Central comics and this idea pretty much sounds like a Gotham Central show, but without the rare batman or robin cameo, and with the focus more on Gordon than the other police officers. But it gets me worried a bit for a different reason. With the DC movies going on, the CW Arrow show, and now this on a rival network, FOX... Are all these going to be somehow connected into one big universe, or is it going to be 3 different universes and basically one big confusing mess?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was enjoyable and has great potential but I was overall disappointed. Coulson's the only highlight in the cast (and it's a BIG highlight). The rest seem rather bland and boring (and in some cases, annoying). The whole thing feels much more cliche than it should, considering there aren't any other shows like this and how Marvel Studios has been able to bypass cliche more often than not. If this weren't part of the MCU I'm not sure I would tune in to the next episode, as is, I think I'm in for the long haul. I just hope it gets more interesting.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was just glad to see Ron Glass again. Made me want to go rewatch Firefly.

Note to self - go rewatch Firefly.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
Are all these going to be somehow connected into one big universe, or is it going to be 3 different universes and basically one big confusing mess?

i doubt they'll have any connection. frankly i have no problem with a movie gordon and a tv gordon at the same time. i hope they just make a good standalone story and dont care about a bigger universe.imo it really hurts the drama if we know that the gordon from tv eventually becomes gordon from mos2

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As much as I loved The Avengers, I found this pilot episode to be mostly dull.

The main problem is that while all the characters are in typical witty Whedon mode, nothing happens to make us care deeply about any of them. The big emotional speech is given to J. August Richards' character--and he won't be back next week. Big mistake.

Much to my own shock, I found a big part of the problem to be Agent Coulson himself. I loved Clark Gregg in his previous appearances, but he never shows himself capable of showing more than one emotion. He never stops smiling during this whole episode, no matter how bad things get. When he's angry at the other agent for ruining the interrogation, he looks totally chilled out. Ditto for when he's trying to talk down Richards' character in the standoff at the end. He just keeps on smiling.

Did no one tell Gregg that he's on a suspense show? He looks like a contestant on a game show.

The always reliable Ron Glass comes in and absolutely nails his scene, and then disappears for the rest of the episode.

I'll give it a few more weeks, but I must sadly admit this isn't what I hoped for.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't really have high expectations, so my expectations were met and exceeded. I'm pleased enough with the pilot to keep watching. For me the style of the show didn't make much sense from the previews and tv spots, but while watching it, I got it. It will fill the void left behind by X-Files and Fringe, at least for me (at least I hope it will), two shows I absolutely love.

Yeah it was watery and Disney'd but personally I went in expecting more of the bad and less of the good. And that ending... I couldn't help but let out a "HA!" Loved it.

Is Lola
the same car Howard Stark debuted in Captain America? But now it works?
Cause that'd be awesome. Even if not, still pretty awesome if not a missed opportunity.

I can only hope Whedon's guidance doesn't fail us.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is Lola
the same car Howard Stark debuted in Captain America? But now it works?

No.
The car Howard Stark demonstrated was a 1940s model. Lola is clearly a 1950s or 1960s model. Also, the parts that make them fly are very different. Stark's car had levitators in the place of wheels, and no wheels attatched (at the beginning of the demonstration, there were wheels propped up against it, but they were completely removed before the car started to levitate). Lola's wheels simply turn sideways before levitation. That said, there's probably a connection. As soon as I saw Lola levitate and fly, I instantly though of Stark's flying car.

EDIT: I looked it up, and Lola is a A 1962 Chevrolet Corvette.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I didn't really have high expectations, so my expectations were met and exceeded. I'm pleased enough with the pilot to keep watching.
Totally agree. With the exception of the one-shots Item 47 and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, I've enjoyed all of the MCU, and this was another winner. Loved the BttF homage at the end, but I do have to wonder how SHIELD will be able to keep Coulson's survival hidden from the Avengers, what with him walking around public places and incident scenes in broad daylight. And I want more answers on just what SHIELD is and who they report to, but as a pilot, this was tons of fun - the Extremis bit was particularly awesome; beautiful continuity integration all around. Oh, and a note on

SPOILERS - can we have a rule in the thread that anything in an episode that's already aired in the US is fair game for discussion, and let's keep the spoiler tags for upcoming eps and movie stuff? If you haven't seen the latest episode yet, read the latest posts at your peril. Sound fair? :)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like Joss isn't terribly involved in this. Bummer. He is one of those rare gifted individuals who can write and direct.

Will be interesting to see how this show goes.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm only still interested in this show because I know this was just a pilot, and like most TV series I've seen the pilot and sometimes the other first few episodes aren't really that great. Plus, I am a huge fan MCU fan.

But...I found it a huge pain to watch the pilot. IMHO, it sucked. And I'm not comparing that to the MCU movies, I'm comparing to the Marvel One Shots and other network tv shows. In part, I saw this coming as there was a weird vibe I got off those trailers a bit, but I didn''t think it would be this bad.

The writing, editing, acting, directing, and cinematography were all really bad for me. Though the VFX weren't terrible except for the car. And the whole time watching, I hoped it would get better but it didn't. And I know, to not have super high expectations for TV shows, but honestly there are many more good ones out there now, it just makes this one seem so mediocre.

I'll still be watching this, but they really better pick up their game.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me Agents of Shield was the reality check that Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones still haven't become the norm for television writing

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Yes.

Especially true for me because I literally only watch like three different TV dramas. Hell, the only network show I regularly watch is Parks and Recreation, which by the way is a million times smarter and better written than the SHIELD pilot was. A TV show really needs to be something special for me to watch it. SHIELD got lucky because I saw it as part of the MCU, but if the show doesn't appear like it's going to get better, I might seriously stop watching.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone watched the AGENT CARTER short on the IRON MAN 3 dvd?

I read Marvel is considering turning it into a tv series. If this is true, the way short ends, it seems to be set up as a prequel to AGENTS OF SHIELD....?

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Has anyone watched the AGENT CARTER short on the IRON MAN 3 dvd?

I read Marvel is considering turning it into a tv series. If this is true, the way short ends, it seems to be set up as a prequel to AGENTS OF SHIELD....?
I have seen it and it is REALLY good. I heard about the potential TV series and have been excited by the idea for one, especially since I have a thing for period dramas. If done well, I'd love to see it become a reality.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For a pilot episode, I thought this was pretty well done. It was definitely a bit campy, but that is kinda in the same vein as the movie. The writing had sparks of originality and creativity. Definitely some potential here IMO. We'll see how the next few episodes go. Not totally sold on the casting choices yet.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reading the wide range of opinions on this reminds me of reading the Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel threads.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Reading the wide range of opinions on this reminds me of reading the Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel threads.

I'm just glad to not be the hater for once. :-D

Now that you mention it, there are some parallels to one of those conversations. If I had to break this pilot down further, I would say that the technical science stuff and overall narrative was good, but the characterization was a little lacking (except for the black guy with the powers).

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I never said I hated the pilot or the show, I just didn't think it was good. But hey, maybe I can salvage it all after season one is over, and I can get the bluray. It's kind of what this site revolves around. And compared to other pilot's, it wasn't so bad, I just so want this series to be quality.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its probably all about expectations with the pilot. Mine were low. Hence I was pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom