• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BD Vs HD-DVD

Which is better?

• I own a BD player.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I own an HD-DVD player.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own BOTH formats!

• I hate them all.

• I don't own an HD format, but if I did it would be BD.

• I don't own an HD format, but if I did it would be HD-DVD.

• I don't own an HD format, I'm waiting to see which prevails.

• I don't own either but I'd probably buy both when the time comes.

• I'm an undecided patron.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i agree DJ,i got some great deals on BR and i would of thought they would get cheaper has time go`s on.

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DAMN I forgot about that title,I got Blade Runner 5-Disc Collector Edition Bluray for only,now get this,$35.00

and you think that is expensive?

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SONOFABITCH!

you got the bladerunner bluray set for 35 bones??? damn that's a great deal.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i've just (in the last 2 days) decided on a hi-def format (bluray) and a player (a ps3 60GB or 80GB unit that i can get cheap) and i'd like to pick one up in the next month or so.

any bluray-specific thoughts/tips/etc.?

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think the war is as over as some people think, but we'll see.

I think what stamper means by rising prices is that if BD has the market cornered, without any competition they will be able to sell discs as a higher price now. I think a large part of the price drops we have been seeing (especially in hardware) has been both sides trying to make their product more fetching for the consumers.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blu ray will be as cheap as dvd very soon. It's only depends on rising circulations......

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dark jedi said:
KICK ASS! another blow to hd dvd,Warner Bro's is going to be exclusive Bluray now,there hd dvd line will end by the end of May,now this is great news.
Really? are you aware that the BD player specs have not yet reached their goal? And they're SLOWLY updating them. So all those 1.0 players that can't do web-content or PiP will be obsolete next year as it will be a minimum requirement for every player. Not to mention we're yet to see the first true region-free BD player. Meanwhile HD-DVD is both region-free, and the player specs are full.
joebshmoe said:
bluray FTW

it is inevitable so start buying your players now! :)

i'm just waiting for criterion to switch to bluray to make it in-the-bag.
Yeah buy now so your region-coded non-web-enabled player can be obsolete within 2 years??
Blu ray will be as cheap as dvd very soon. It's only depends on rising circulations......
Rubbish. Anyone who believes this doesn't understand the far more complex manufacturing process. BD has claimed to have a 50GB capacity, but still very few manufacturing plants can do them - and those that can can't do them properly and the size has to be limited to about 45GB for data integrity. With that said, HD-DVD uses proven technology and has proven their 3-layer 45GB disc format. In short, BD is much more expensive, and if HD-DVD wasn't on the market competing right now you'd be paying much more for BD releases.

Still, most current BD discs on the market are single-layer; 25GB. And that's pretty close to dual-layer HD-DVD's at 30GB - but it isn't storage that makes HD-DVD better.

The sad fact of the matter is that as BD rapes the consumer more then HD-DVD, it looks like it will prevail in this "format war". So get used to paying for mandatory updates for your BD player every 18 months just so BD can use "new" AACS keys; while HD-DVD will never require a player update.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So get used to paying for mandatory updates for your BD player every 18 months just so BD can use "new" AACS keys; while HD-DVD will never require a player update.

where is from information about mandatory updates? link please.....

Rubbish. Anyone who believes this doesn't understand the far more complex manufacturing process.

same thing I heard about dvd long time ago......."dvd is too expensive and do not win with vhs"......so you are telling rubbish.......whatever format wins will be as cheap as dvd is.....

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL

so you think the cost to the consumer will skyrocket as soon as HD-DVD is out of the picture?

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dunno Voodl. Blu-ray is pretty damn expensive round my neck of the woods. My principle reason for not buying into the whole HD thing. (that and the lack of an HD capable TV)

I like the idea and can see the quality improvement, but I have real issues with going into a shop and seeing something like Wyatt Earp, which is ?17.99 on both Blu-ray and HD-DVD (yes it's a rare both version movie) and both versions are supposedly ok picture and sound, but nothing special. Also the extras are all in 4:3 480p format.

The same movie costs ?4.99 on standard DVD and has THE SAME EXTRAS. The only crib is that it's a 2 sided dvd so you need to flip it halfway. but on a 3-1/2 hour movie thats not such a stress.

Still, I've got a PS3 on order, so I'll possibly pick up a cheap blu-ray movie on ebay to try it out, once I have an HD capable tv set. But To be frank, I'll more than likely be happy with upscaling.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you remember dvd prices at the start? when did you buy your first dvd player?

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
voodl said:
Can you remember dvd prices at the start? when did you buy your first dvd player?

I bought my first DVD player in early 2001. It was a Wharfdale 650, and cost me ?225. A far cry from the costs of HD-DVD and Blu-ray players.
I bought The Matrix and 13th Warrior with it, and they were both around ?10 - ?12.

The difference is that people are selling the HD versions as some form of messianic new thing. This isn't like the VHS - DVD changeover from linear tapes to DVD technology with menu screens, extras, chapters and the like.

Blu-ray for a start is simply better looking DVD. Thats all. HD-DVD is slightly more interesting but at the moment it's scarcely being utilised.

The problem as I see it is that standard def DVD is pretty damn good looking as things stand. Most people don't have 40+ inch HD tv sets that warrant needing 720p, let alone 1080i, let more alone 1080P!!

Hell if image quality was such a biggie to the everyday consumer then Suberbit DVDs would have made more of an impact. rather than the damp squib they were.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My first dvd player was ps2 and my first dvd movie was Matrix.....and I was crying! it was so expensive......

But I must say it is very good point :
The problem as I see it is that standard def DVD is pretty damn good looking as things stand.

but progress is unstopable and blu rays will be as cheap as dvd and hdtv sets will be as cheap as crt was....

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eventually, but the HD craze only began to really start round mid 2007. It took till at least 2005 for DVD's to get as uber-cheap as they are now.

Thats 4 years after the same point we're at with HD now. I'll be happy to go out and fork out some cash for the HD winner in 2012, but for the moment I remain happy with what I've got.

of course by then we'll be streaming all our HD movies off the Internet Wimberflex Mark IV. And driving flying cars with Robots doing the cleaning.....

Harman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a new lcd monitor 22" widescreen (instead of 15" crt) and if you're sitting in front of it DVDs look really sucking and even 720p compressed to DVD-9 isn't so much great like anyone would imagine. HD is only technical evolution, nothing more nothing less.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be sticking with my regular DVD player for quite a while, for two reasons:

1. my upscaling player look wonderful on my 32" HDTV and and it didn't cost me $200-400

2. I have a large collection of DVDs from Japan and Europe and my DVD player has been modified to play all Regions (a feature that looks like will be missing from BluRay players for a long time...)

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a lot dvds too. Im not going to sell them or something....I just will be buying new releases on hi-def format.

Top Bottom