• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/search/label/inherent vice

The film centers on a pothead private eye named Doc Sportello and his hazy adventures in late 60's Los Angeles.

Can't wait to see this one. Never read the book, maybe I'll wait until after the movie. Anybody ever read it?

Kinda bummed Downey Jr didn't make the cast but excited to see the next PTA/JP collaboration. And they announced Benicio Del Toro is in it!

Filming should begin this month. PTA's regular D of P Robert Elswit is back as well.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But can it really achieve the heights of the infamous 1996 two-parter Wishbone adaptation, which was deemed too hot for PBS, and had to air on Showtime instead? :-D

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pumped for this as with anything that PTA does. Premise is intriguing as well.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Huh?

:dizzy:
I admit that that's one of my more random jokes, but I remain strangely compelled by the notion of that old Wishbone show tackling an uber-post-modern adult novel like Inherent Vice or Infinite Jest (strangely similar titles, anyone?).

I know fairly little about either of those two books, but they both seem to me to be exactly what Philip Pullman has in mind when he says there's an anti-storytelling trend in modern "serious" adult literature, with increasing emphasis on style, meta digressions, etc. Of course, Adaptation. and Atonement show that one can have both in modern movies and be totally awesome, but under-3-hour movies are still necessarily more constrained than books that are as long as the author darn well wants.

In short, I very much doubt I'd read either of those books, but I'm sure Vice will produce some fascinating movie reviews at the least, and I enjoy reading reviews almost as much as I enjoy movies themselves. :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotcha. I spent like a half hour last night trying to figure out what you were saying. I thought there was some sort of obscure reference to PTA or Inherent Vice hidden in that Wishbone video.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(These went online a while ago.)

pta+inherent+vice.png

iv+set+photos+part+two+Number+2.jpg

IV+set+3.jpg

doc+1.jpg

IV+set+2+maya+walking.jpg

special.png

iv+set+photos+part+two+Number+5.jpg

14~36.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think I will see this one in theater.

In The Master I simply could not relate to any of the characters in the movie. Mister Phoenix could cry all the tears of his body in front of the camera or kick all the asses in the world, if I can't understand why, or even feel sadness or anger myself, then I don't care. When characters have strong personalities a director should be cautious to not let them just be "circus monsters" but people we can understand and share their feelings with.
And it was not the case in The Master. For me anyway.

I'm afraid that PTA (who made There Will Be Blood that I would call a masterpiece at the level of some Sergio Leone or Scorsese), will slowly take a Terrence Malick's route that I can't follow.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I don't think I will see this one in theater.

In The Master I simply could not relate to any of the characters in the movie. Mister Phoenix could cry all the tears of his body in front of the camera or kick all the asses in the world, if I can't understand why, or even feel sadness or anger myself, then I don't care. When characters have strong personalities a director should be cautious to not let them just be "circus monsters" but people we can understand and share their feelings with.
And it was not the case in The Master. For me anyway.

You should give it a second chance some time. I had the same problem you did the first time I watched it, couldn't relate/didn't get it ect. But I kept hearing about it and wondered if I missed something or if I was in the wrong frame of mind or something, I dunno, so I watched it again and ended up loving it.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did read the book because John Densmore (Doors' drummer) referenced it a couple times in his memoir.
Plot wandered all over the map for me - mind you, this was a stoner detective.
Wonderful, lyrical prose would be matched with folly.

We are so far from the 60s now that most assume it was a nonstop psychedelic haze.
Vietnam, riots, civil rights marches, assassinations, fucking dress codes, paranoia, British Invasion,
all sorts of unhappy shit was prevalent.

Ought to reread the book again, but I just remember being soured by it.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trailer is out. It looks fantastic.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely want to see this in theaters.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The film premiered at the New York Film Fesitval, and the buzz seems to be mixed. We got the lows and the highs.

But who cares about that, because we got a tracklist for the soundtrack! (Or at least, what songs will be featured in the movie.)

“Inherent Vice” Soundtrack
1. Dreamin’ On a Cloud – The Tornados
2. Rhythm of the Rain – The Cascades
3. Vitamin C – Can
4. Soup – Can
5. Simba – Les Baxter
6. Spooks – Radiohead
7. Burning Bridges – Jack Scott
8. The Throwaway Age – Bob Irwin
9. Gilligan’s Island Theme – Sherwood Schwartz and George Wyle
10. Harvest – Neil Young
11. Here Comes the Ho-Dads – The Markettts
12. Electricity – Cliff Adams
13. Never My Love – The Association
14. Les Fleur – Minnie Riperton
15. Journey Through the Past – Neil Young
16. Sukiyaki – KYU Sakamoto
17. Adam-12 (Themes and Cues) – Frank Comstock
18. (What A) Wonderful World – Sam Cooke
19. Amethyst – Jonny Greenwood
20. Any Day Now – Chuck Jackson

And here's all those songs on YouTube... but seriously, I know I'll be buying this soundtrack when it comes out.

my fav tracks:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
We are so far from the 60s now that most assume it was a nonstop psychedelic haze.

wait a minute, vultural--whatchu trying to say? :p

Top Bottom