• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Adobe discontinues Creative Suite, goes Cloud-only!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems everything is going that way. Even Microsoft had talked about going cloud only for Windows. What I believe this means is that, while you still install a copy on your system, it checks periodically to see if you are a subscriber. I guess it all depends on cost and if you can work in an offline mode.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use CS6 right now but was planning to upgrade to Creative Cloud as soon as the new version comes out. For me, I find it a great thing since I use nearly every program they provide and it automatically upgrades. According to that, it will update per feature and not per version.

However, I'm disturbed Creative Cloud is only mainly Master Collection and Lightroom. They should offer better discounted prices for Production premium and stuff. They charge $19.99 for one program, but only $39.99 for all programs!

I like Creative Cloud, but there is no good reason to cancel standalone products. Except for it would very likely rid Adobe of the piracy problem, since CC wouldn't have any offline activation and the online activation would have to recheck every month. Apart from piracy, I don't see any good from this desicion.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I have three main concerns:

1. I've been fortunate to get academic discounts in the past; will these continue, and if so, how? I'm thinking not just for myself, but also for the students I will be advising in the fall (there's a computer animation program at the school I work at, and they make pretty extensive use of Adobe products, as do several other programs).

2. How does Creative Cloud work with feature-length projects? Where are the movie files stored? I'd appreciate feedback from any of you who has used it...

3. How does the cloud version play with third-party plugins like Magic Bullet, Video Copilot, or mocha? Again, any input from someone who already uses it would be great...

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My internet was down for about 24 hours over the weekend, some of which I was able to kill by doing some editing. Would I not be able to edit in that case?

Boo-urns.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not so much "cloud" as always on DRM. I believe you still install the software on your computer, but each time you start it up it needs to connect to the Internet to see if you have a licensed copy. I'm guessing that's how it works because I can't imagine editors loving the service if they're trying to edit an HD project, let alone a 4k project, online. The U.S. internet is good, but it ain't that good.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not so much "cloud" as always on DRM. I believe you still install the software on your computer, but each time you start it up it needs to connect to the Internet to see if you have a licensed copy. I'm guessing that's how it works because I can't imagine editors loving the service if they're trying to edit an HD project, let alone a 4k project, online. The U.S. internet is good, but it ain't that good.

Still, the problem with this is you need to have an internet connection to use it. What if you want to do some editing on your laptop when you don't have a connection?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Still, the problem with this is you need to have an internet connection to use it. What if you want to do some editing on your laptop when you don't have a connection?

Oh I agree. As a PC gamer I had the always on DRM shit.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?

No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.

It seems reasonable to me, and pretty much the only way to kill piracy (or at least stun it for now). I've been using the Adobe Cloud for over 6 months at my job as a web developer, haven't had any problems so far. I don't do any video editing at work though, so I can't comment on that. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks all work well and update automatically behind the scenes. I don't have to maintain anything.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Oh I agree. As a PC gamer I had the always on DRM shit.

lol phone auto-correct.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
It seems reasonable to me, and pretty much the only way to kill piracy (or at least stun it for now). I've been using the Adobe Cloud for over 6 months at my job as a web developer, haven't had any problems so far. I don't do any video editing at work though, so I can't comment on that. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks all work well and update automatically behind the scenes. I don't have to maintain anything.

Sorry, but, ROFLMFAO. If you think that that'll kill piracy think again, it's already very easy to bypass protection systems like that.

All DRM and similar technology does is make life difficult for the paying consumer.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Sorry, but, ROFLMFAO. If you think that that'll kill piracy think again, it's already very easy to bypass protection systems like that.

All DRM and similar technology does is make life difficult for the paying consumer.

exactly. If anything this is actually going to promote piracy, IMO.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's why I added the word stun. I was speaking more from Adobe's perspective than my own. Whether it works or not, we can agree their intent is to kill piracy and they think this method will work.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
That's why I added the word stun. I was speaking more from Adobe's perspective than my own. Whether it works or not, we can agree their intent is to kill piracy and they think this method will work.

Yes, I agree. Their intent is surely to reduce piracy. Unfortunately for them, I think that cloud services and subscriptions have the opposite effect.

wayne.workman2012

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a friend that uses creative cloud. The files are stored locally.

I use Video Pad Pro for everything video related so I can't speak about CC personally.

A guy from work says he'll never go cloud simply because he doesn't want to risk his work
being stolen due to some security hole or whatnot, which is a real threat to editing work
on an internet connected computer. That security hole could be in CC, could be in Google Chrome,
IE, Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.7 through 10.9 etc....

If it's connected to the internet, it can potentially be compromised...

NOT GOOD if you're Paramount Pictures or Sony Entertainment, etc.

So all of the big players will naturally avoid CC like the plague due to the potential risks.

And personally, I wouldn't use CC for a business venture because of this risk.
When I'm editing my low budget movie that I've put MY hard earned dollars into for production costs, I will do all of my editing totally offline to avoid the risk of my work being STOLEN from me. I don't want copies of my work getting out before I at least make a deal with a vendor or two and ship my product.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wayne.workman2012 said:
I've got a friend that uses creative cloud. The files are stored locally.

I use Video Pad Pro for everything video related so I can't speak about CC personally.

A guy from work says he'll never go cloud simply because he doesn't want to risk his work
being stolen due to some security hole or whatnot, which is a real threat to editing work
on an internet connected computer. That security hole could be in CC, could be in Google Chrome,
IE, Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.7 through 10.9 etc....

If it's connected to the internet, it can potentially be compromised...

NOT GOOD if you're Paramount Pictures or Sony Entertainment, etc.

So all of the big players will naturally avoid CC like the plague due to the potential risks.

And personally, I wouldn't use CC for a business venture because of this risk.
When I'm editing my low budget movie that I've put MY hard earned dollars into for production costs, I will do all of my editing totally offline to avoid the risk of my work being STOLEN from me. I don't want copies of my work getting out before I at least make a deal with a vendor or two and ship my product.
Unless it was removed in CC, offline activation might work, and maybe you would just have to reactivate it every month, without having to have that computer connect to the internet.

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No! I'm not a fan of cloud computing. I'm from Sri Lanka and internet services here compared to the US and UK absolutely sucks major ballsack. I won't be able to work with anything when every tom, dick and harry goes cloud. :(

Top Bottom