• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

uh oh.... my wife is going to be unhappy, Thor did not take his shirt off in the trailer.... :p

she must really like the twilight series then :p

Looking at Loki's new haircut all I can think is.... Oh hai Thor!

Otherwise pretty cool trailer

bionicbob said:
uh oh.... my wife is going to be unhappy, Thor did not take his shirt off in the trailer.... :p

My wife prefers his brother.

I could look this up but I'm lazy. Is this Kenneth Branagh again?

Nope. This time is Alan Taylor directing. He directed a few Game of Thrones episodes including the one that
Ned's decapitation happens

that's so led zep.

Hooray, Ray Stevenson (aka Titus Pullo, bringer-down of the Republic) makes the poster! :-D

TM_PAYOFF_UNITEDKINGDOM_desktop-610x871.jpg

i think it's being released late in the year because of oscar considerations.

maybe it's just because I know that alan taylor directed game of thrones but I really get a game of thrones vibe from these pictures and taylor even confirmed as much:

“Well in both cases, it’s using the conceit of a fantastical, alien world to make fresh what is really a domestic drama. In Game of Thrones, seeing Tyrion battle with his sister Cirsei, seeing the relationship between children and their fathers, it’s all stuff that we can relate to. You know, the oldest stories we tell, it’s all about that stuff. It’s all the stuff we’re interested in at a psychological level because we’re living it all the time. But it takes place in this otherwise fantastical, foreign realm.
“I think the same thing is true in Thor. The brilliant thing that Ken Branagh did in launching it was to make it very much a story about two brothers, a story about brother competing for the love of their father. So it’s small, and confined, and human, at the same time as it’s this blown-out, intergalactic world.”

http://screenrant.com/thor-2-dark-world-alan-taylor-game-of-thrones/

only thing that bothers me is the london attack... why not get full on fantasy and leave earth behind?

Because Hollywood doesn't think we can watch a movie without it being surrounded by humans and involving a love story. Case in point, the Smurfs takes place in NYC instead of whatever fictional land they come from.

Well they need to get Portman right? Doesn't it make sense for there to be scenes on Earth?

sure scenes on earth to brign her to asgard I'm ok with. but destruction/invasion of london looks like the dark elves threat is tied to earth as well which just seems as if the makers think we won't care about asgard being destroyed so earth is threatened as well

So, they're still shooting, and haven't even made an edit of the film yet. I'm cautiously optimistic about all this.
http://screenrant.com/thor-2-dark-world-reshoots-imax/

On the bright side, the IMAX 3D opens earlier, so I might want to go to my local liemax. Then again, the movie released a week later could be slightly better. (Also, given the fact it would still have to be finished earlier to do the IMAx conversion, unless it's just all automatic, and they only have to care about rendering time now.) It happened to several other films before like the 35mm version of ATOC compared to the finished digital release.

Some story information got out in how the ending of Thor and the story of Avengers play into the rise of the Dark Elves:

“When the Bifrost was broken at the end of the first film, Odin had to conjure a lot of dark energy and go through a lot of personal sacrifice to try and get his son back to Earth. And it was a one-shot deal. If Thor didn’t succeed, without the Tesseract he couldn’t have got back again. And in our film, finally the Bifrost has been rebuilt, but during that time, when the cops were largely cut off from the rest of the universe, you had miscreants that came in from outside the Nine Realms, pillaging and destroying and causing havoc. So that’s what our guys have been doing now – trying to put all these fires out across the Nine Realms.”

This has me really happy. sounds like finally Marvel starts to make use of their universe! I really hope the dark matter was some sort of sacrifice because it is so super cheap in avengers and needs to have an effect on thor. otherwise it was just "yeah throwaway line so we can have thor in the avengers"

Well, just came back from watching the movie:

It's absolutely stupid, but really fun. The entire movie is so dumb and over the top but quite enjoyable. Tom Hiddleston is the best, but he really is the only real character. There are enough hero moments for each character. the direction is pretty good, the villain is standard and has the usual doomsday device. Natalie Portman's role is a bit better than in Thor 1 and the ending is just completely bonkers over the top and really enjoyable.

I liked this movie much more than Iron Man 3 which couldn't decide where to go - thor 2 knows exactly where to go: the most absurd over the top laser fantasy sci fi setting imaginable... depending on the plot the asgardians either have lightsabers or anti spaceship artillery... it is just so much flashy colors and splosions :D

Just got back from this and pretty well loved it also - it definitely builds on the promising groundwork of the first movie, spending a lot more time on Asgard and other realms, gradually warming us all up to the balls-out weirdness of Guardians of the Galaxy. The actual plot is a bit meh, borrowing a hokey premise from the original Tomb Raider movie, and the villain is similarly generic, but I was so pleased to just soak in the rich detail of the various worlds I didn't mind one bit. It wasn't a grand slam like Iron Man 3, but it was definitely at least a double. B+

Pretty cool movie was pretty cool. Saw it today too. In a weird way it was nothing special, but it did have a lot more great other-world action than the first one, which is what I wanted. So it was cool. But probably also my second least favorite MCU film (better than Iron Man 2, I think). I might have liked it better if Iron Man 3 hadn't set the bar so high for Phase 2 movies. At least Cap 2 looks AMAZING.

Back
Top Bottom