If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Film webzine/blog Hope Lies at 24 frame per second article featuring fanedits
Interesting points [MENTION=10512]geminigod[/MENTION], I guess my thinking re: Mix vs Fix is the editors intention, rather than the audience's reaction/expectation. If the editor wants to improve the original film, it's a fix, if the editor wants to create an entirely different experience of the film as an alternate experience to the original, it's a mix. So, when editing, do you plan to have your edit replace the original movie, or sit next to it on the shelf?
Completed: 
Raiders of the Lost Skull | Where the Wild Things Are: The Wild Rumpus Edition
Pulp Empire | The Dark Knight Saga Recut - Part I | Part II | Part III

Next Up:
Hannibal: The Ripper's Lament
njvc Wrote:Interesting points geminigod, I guess my thinking re: Mix vs Fix is the editors intention, rather than the audience's reaction/expectation. If the editor wants to improve the original film, it's a fix, if the editor wants to create an entirely different experience of the film as an alternate experience to the original, it's a mix. So, when editing, do you plan to have your edit replace the original movie, or sit next to it on the shelf?

That is a good way of thinking about it and does make more sense to me that this information might be useful to a viewer.

What did you think about my TV-to-Movie comment?
Projects Completed:
Matrix Revolutions - The Epic Edition
The Two Towers Rebuilt

Projects truly In the Works:
Star Trek (2009): Gem Edition

Projects kinda sorta conceptually In The Works:
Riddick: The Chronicles
Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
Who Watches The Watchmen
geminigod Wrote:What did you think about my TV-to-Movie comment?

I agree that the vast majority are actually TV-season-to-mini-series, or TV-season-to-really-long-movie, but for the sake of convenience, TV-to-movie is fine.
Adabisi Wrote:I agree that the vast majority are actually TV-season-to-mini-series, or TV-season-to-really-long-movie, but for the sake of convenience, TV-to-movie is fine.

So what would a Movie-to-TV be classified as?
Projects Completed:
The Two Towers Rebuilt

Who Watches The Watchmen
njvc Wrote:If the editor wants to improve the original film, it's a fix, if the editor wants to create an entirely different experience of the film as an alternate experience to the original, it's a mix. So, when editing, do you plan to have your edit replace the original movie, or sit next to it on the shelf?

Speaking for myself, that's never how I plan a fanedit. I think up an edit that I'll want to work on and an edit I'll want to watch. Maybe I'll want to watch it instead of the original and maybe I'll watch it in addition, and maybe my preference will change from time to time.

Maybe a viewer will want to put it next to the original on their shelf or maybe they will want to replace the original with it. That's up to the viewer. It doesn't make a difference to my starting fanedit idea.

And if they don't want to watch my fanedit at all I guess that makes it a Fan Nix.
geminigod Wrote:So what would a Movie-to-TV be classified as?

Fucking Awesome
Brumous Wrote:And if they don't want to watch my fanedit at all I guess that makes it a Fan Nix.

Big Grin

I guess I was trying to describe the philosophical difference between the two categories, rather than the literal way in which the viewer plans to organize their shelves.
Completed: 
Raiders of the Lost Skull | Where the Wild Things Are: The Wild Rumpus Edition
Pulp Empire | The Dark Knight Saga Recut - Part I | Part II | Part III

Next Up:
Hannibal: The Ripper's Lament
I'm pretty sure this has wandered far-enough off-topic that I can suggest a new thread be started if y'all wish to discuss this further.
Brumous Wrote:And if they don't want to watch my fanedit at all I guess that makes it a Fan Nix.

Hahah. Awesomeness. Smile
Projects Completed:
The Two Towers Rebuilt

Who Watches The Watchmen