• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Film webzine/blog Hope Lies at 24 frame per second article featuring fanedits

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Decent article at hopelies.com features (unsurprisingly) Adywan and The Phantom Editor, but the writer has also seen and discusses the following:

• The Usual Suspects – Flip Ya for Real by Adabisi
  • Where The Wild Things Are – The Wild Rumpus Edition by njvc
  • Large's Ark by L8wrtr
  • Fight Club – The “I Am Jack’s Laryngitis” Edit by Zach Action
  • Plan 2001 from Outer Space by Adabisi

What I like about this article is that it takes fanedits seriously beyond the usual it's cool that this phenomenon exist. He likes some and dislikes other edits, and gives reasons why. Being taken seriously is always a good thing.

Also, it reminded me that I need to finally watch I Am Jack's Laryngitis.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, that's pretty awesome. Great find!

Fettclone1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll have to read more when I have the time, but that sounds good.

I like that they went from talk of official releases to fanedits, thus lending some them legitimacy.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just found this article (late to the party, i know). Very cool. I forget sometimes that people outside this website have access to the edits, and sometimes even take the time to watch/think/write about them afterwards.

:) Quite chuffed.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Decent article at hopelies.com features (unsurprisingly) Adywan and The Phantom Editor, but the writer has also seen and discusses the following:

• The Usual Suspects – Flip Ya for Real by Adabisi
  • Where The Wild Things Are – The Wild Rumpus Edition by njvc
  • Large's Ark by L8wrtr
  • Fight Club – The “I Am Jack’s Laryngitis” Edit by Zach Action
  • Plan 2001 from Outer Space by Adabisi

What I like about this article is that it takes fanedits seriously beyond the usual it's cool that this phenomenon exist. He likes some and dislikes other edits, and gives reasons why. Being taken seriously is always a good thing.

Also, it reminded me that I need to finally watch I Am Jack's Laryngitis.

Interesting article. I like how he talks about the art of fanediting ultimately being a reductive process. I have tried in both of my released edits to skirt around this and actually add something new, but of course it is always using existing footage just in a new way. Is it still reductive when a scene has new meaning or a new story emerges?

This is the blessing and curse of fanediting. An editor's options mostly are reductive in nature, but limitations force creativity.

Perhaps this is advice that modern big budget filmmakers should consider as well. Just because you can turn 100 troops into 100,000 with a computer doesn't mean you should. Just because you can make your animated characters defy gravity doesn't mean you should.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
he talks about the art of fanediting ultimately being a reductive process.

not necessarily. there are extended editions. and fanmixes can take movies down some purdy interesting rabbit holes.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, look at Crouching Tiger - Tiger Lilly, or War of the Stars I or II, or the Matrix Grindhoused, or Pulp Empire...

...I'm sure there's at least two others I'm forgetting...

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anything by frink or dieuyoda.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I still struggle with the difference between a fan mix and fan fix. I get the idea in principle of course, but it still seems kinda gray to me in lots of cases. I don't really know how either of my edits should be classified. In my Matrix edit, the story is quite different even though the conclusion wraps up in a semi-similar manner to the original. There are three new scenes that are a combination of re-worked existing footage and effects. Sure, no killer shark jumps onto Agent Smith at the end to save Neo, but just because it doesn't have a radically different ending or a new soundtrack, does that mean it isn't a mix? In my Two Towers edit, Faramir's story is completely re-worked. Are these fixes? Mixes? A bit of both? Beats me.

Sorry to stir up the pot, but I preferred it when everything was just called fanedits or extended editions. (Maybe a 3rd category would be useful for differentiating TV-like edits that are more episodic in nature.) I have actually thought about this issue for a long time but never bothered to bring it up until now.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be more specific while I am on a creative roll here… I just looked at all the IFDB categories. The only three that bother me are fanfix, fan mix, and TV-to-Movie edits. In the crazy world of my mind it makes more sense for these to be condensed to Fanedit Movies and Episodic Fanedits. My two main arguments are:

1) Differentiating between a fanfix and fanmix is not so easy and is somewhat degrading to many edits that are classified as fan fixes because it makes them sound less creative than their fanmix brethren. I am going to pick on [MENTION=8922]njvc[/MENTION] because he knows I love him, and I have repeatedly expressed that Where the Wild Things Are is one of my favorite fanedits. With that said, I really don't see how it is any more of a mix vs. fix than my matrix edit. Emotional changes vs. narrative changes? Musical changes vs. visual changes? IMO the viewer should decide these subjective debates; not the faneditor or fanedit.org.

2) TV-to-Movie is super confusing. In the fan editing world, defining an edit by the viewing medium that it was originally made for makes no sense. Some TV edits like the various Lost edits are still broken out into serial episodic parts. These are not like any movie I have ever seen, and IMO it is inappropriate to call them that. They are really more like a TV edit, or a TV-to-Miniseries edit. On the other hand, Gatos's Oz is a TV edit that actually does follow a movie format and flow. It is a self-contained two hour story with a beginning, middle, and end. So, Oz I would call a fanedit movie whereas Lost I would call a Episodic (or maybe Serial) fanedit. Consider the following, which I think really drives this point home. I have contemplated doing a Riddick fanedit where I actually take all the Riddick movie material and break it out into more of a serial episodic format of like 6 or 7 episodes. Where would this go in the current categorization scheme?

In conclusion, I believe all our categories should tell the audience objectively what the general viewing medium of the edit is, not what the original viewing medium was or any subjective information about whether it is a fix or mix or whatever.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting points [MENTION=10512]geminigod[/MENTION], I guess my thinking re: Mix vs Fix is the editors intention, rather than the audience's reaction/expectation. If the editor wants to improve the original film, it's a fix, if the editor wants to create an entirely different experience of the film as an alternate experience to the original, it's a mix. So, when editing, do you plan to have your edit replace the original movie, or sit next to it on the shelf?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Interesting points geminigod, I guess my thinking re: Mix vs Fix is the editors intention, rather than the audience's reaction/expectation. If the editor wants to improve the original film, it's a fix, if the editor wants to create an entirely different experience of the film as an alternate experience to the original, it's a mix. So, when editing, do you plan to have your edit replace the original movie, or sit next to it on the shelf?

That is a good way of thinking about it and does make more sense to me that this information might be useful to a viewer.

What did you think about my TV-to-Movie comment?

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
What did you think about my TV-to-Movie comment?

I agree that the vast majority are actually TV-season-to-mini-series, or TV-season-to-really-long-movie, but for the sake of convenience, TV-to-movie is fine.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
I agree that the vast majority are actually TV-season-to-mini-series, or TV-season-to-really-long-movie, but for the sake of convenience, TV-to-movie is fine.

So what would a Movie-to-TV be classified as?

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
If the editor wants to improve the original film, it's a fix, if the editor wants to create an entirely different experience of the film as an alternate experience to the original, it's a mix. So, when editing, do you plan to have your edit replace the original movie, or sit next to it on the shelf?

Speaking for myself, that's never how I plan a fanedit. I think up an edit that I'll want to work on and an edit I'll want to watch. Maybe I'll want to watch it instead of the original and maybe I'll watch it in addition, and maybe my preference will change from time to time.

Maybe a viewer will want to put it next to the original on their shelf or maybe they will want to replace the original with it. That's up to the viewer. It doesn't make a difference to my starting fanedit idea.

And if they don't want to watch my fanedit at all I guess that makes it a Fan Nix.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
And if they don't want to watch my fanedit at all I guess that makes it a Fan Nix.

:D

I guess I was trying to describe the philosophical difference between the two categories, rather than the literal way in which the viewer plans to organize their shelves.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure this has wandered far-enough off-topic that I can suggest a new thread be started if y'all wish to discuss this further.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:

Hahah. Awesomeness. :)

Top Bottom