• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

"Watchmen: Midnight" fanedit to have a public screening!

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WATCHMEN: MIDNIGHT will be screened at StarFest in Denver, CO on Friday, April 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM. StarFest is a big pop culture/fan convention that's held every year in the city of Denver, and it includes events for sci-fi, horror, fantasy, comic books, and movies. They are very supportive of fan created works, and WATCHMEN: MIDNIGHT will be screened as part of their "Fan Film Festival" on Friday.

People attending my screening will receive a printed list of the major changes in my fanedit, but I will also have some time before the screening to introduce the film.

StarFest has been going on since 1977 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfest) and has celebrity guests, lots of cosplayers, workshops, and sci-fi/horror/movie/comic/game vendors and activities. They also screen movies, including independent films and fan projects.

Here is the StarFest homepage: http://starland.com/

I also have some other news about my fanedit and academic work coming up this summer that you guys might like to know about. Maybe you would like to announce this in the future, closer to the date it happens?

I've been invited to present WATCHMEN: MIDNIGHT at an academic conference in Maastricht, Netherlands in July. I'm going to show excerpts from the film before vs. after recutting it into my fanedit and I'm going to give a presentation on fanediting itself. The conference is called MASH (Making and Sharing) and its organizers are interested in the mixture of media theory and production.

MASH 2013 website: https://mash2013.wordpress.com/cfp/

Finally, I have my own blog that I use to write about fanediting and related things. I've written about the history and issues raised in PSYCHO: THE ROGER EBERT CUT and RAISING CAIN: RE-CUT, and eventually I'm going to do a full "Making of" for WATCHMEN: MIDNIGHT. http://wille.tv

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats flixcapacitor, that sounds amazing!

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds superb Flixcapacitor, I wish I could be there. Watchmen: Midnight is still my all time favorite fanedit.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, congrats on your screening

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BladeRunner391 said:
Sounds superb Flixcapacitor, I wish I could be there. Watchmen: Midnight is still my all time favorite fanedit.

Wow, thank you. I've got an updated version coming soon...

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
very cool, FC. i'm curious—will you be using your DVD-9 for the public screening? or have you created an HD version for the occasion? i'm assuming the edit will be projected onto a large screen, on which the limitations of standard def resolution might be apparent.

again, congrats. i trust you'll be duly compensated for your presentation with booze & strippers. :D

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
very cool, FC. i'm curious—will you be using your DVD-9 for the public screening? or have you created an HD version for the occasion? i'm assuming the edit will be projected onto a large screen, on which the limitations of standard def resolution might be apparent.

This Friday I'll be showing an updated version of my edit which I'll be releasing here very soon :) Unfortunately, I've learned that the projector at the convention is limited to VGA, so I think an up-rez would probably be wasted on that display. However, I'll be rendering a minimally re-compressed H.264 video for the screening that will be in SD but somewhat improve the overall picture quality.

A true HD version would be great and I'm interested in releasing one but I'll need to remaster it from Blu-ray source footage rather than DVD.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
steelio2006 said:
congrats that is really awesome.

Thanks :) I'd like to see more public screenings of fanedits so we could show off our work and spread the word about fanediting in general.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
7b9c34e8075ab942bce59a5d641f716b1472009974.png

Just kidding, Congrats on the screening. I am actually flying into Denver on Friday but sadly I will not have time to check this event out. I doubt I could talk my buddy and his wife into a Con. But seriously congrats man. its a huge step for Fan editing.

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, would have to agree that it is a huge step for fan editing. and it'd be cool to start seeing more events for fan edits like this. that'd be awesome.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flixcapacitor said:
Wow, thank you. I've got an updated version coming soon...

yes!
Watchmen midnight is easily the best Watchmen version out there!

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Was this obtained?

If you choose to show a film for public viewing, your first step is to purchase a public viewing
license ($300.00 -$500.00) and rights to show the film in public, which includes a public
performance fee ($300.00 - $500.00). Even if you choose to show the movie for free, you are still
required to purchase the copyrights. Federal copyright laws protect all movies viewed in public
areas regardless of format (35 mm, video tape or DVD)

Im not trying to harsh anything, i was just asking a legit question.
I though this sight was about owning the material, no mentioning of bootleg or breaking the law.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Dude, stop harshing his buzz.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That all sounds awesome!!!! Look forward to checking out your updated version.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
juice4z0 said:
Just kidding, Congrats on the screening. I am actually flying into Denver on Friday but sadly I will not have time to check this event out. I doubt I could talk my buddy and his wife into a Con. But seriously congrats man. its a huge step for Fan editing.

Thanks! Too bad you and some others can't make it to the Con. It would've been great to have a FanEdit.org meet-up.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
steelio2006 said:
yeah, would have to agree that it is a huge step for fan editing. and it'd be cool to start seeing more events for fan edits like this. that'd be awesome.

I think fan conventions are a good start for this sort of thing because the audiences share a lot of our interests and many of them are already there to share their own types of creativity that relates/remixes movies and comics, etc.

Top Bottom