• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rogues Alternate/Retro Cover/Poster thread/thread

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...wait wait.... wait a...second here... so my photobucket images appear to be showing up again, but they weren't for awhile, but there back again after I got an email from photobucket the other day saying they wouldn't be showing up anymore...YEAH!!! I mean sometimes all it takes is meeting some crazy gandolf looking tree hugging wise dinosaur dude who says a bunch of stuff you can't remember but leaves you with the points of having a good energy (what), not thinking about others expectations of you and sh!t like that... and then, BAM! the images are fixed. Or its a cache thing again.
   Anyways, what I was going to say before letting the liquor do the talking was that I've figured out that dollar store craft acrylic paint is shite but artist acrylics from walmart are a lot better (they have a reasonable art supply section now), so I've been painting a bunch lately and feel more confident with acrylics now and hopefully will have something to post soon.

tl;dr: words were posted. Nothing substantial though, FrOm A cErTaIn PoInT oF vIeW!>!<!.
4350324775_9e4bfcf5b0.jpg

also:
wnd_f84ad17a3e230af55496de814757243f.jpg

to-be-continued-500x327.jpg

no I don't drink and drive, I don't even like to fly, I take plains. Just trying to figure out an ending to the post.

Arrival was pretty good.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad to hear about your Photobucket, Rogue.
I gave up and shifted my images elsewhere.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Anyone know of another image hosting site I could try, one low on the ads?

I currently use IMGBox, then use a browser extension to save each IMGBox image file to Archive.org's Wayback Machine, then share the Wayback Machine link to the image. In theory, the images should continue to stay online as long as the Wayback Machine does, even if the original IMGBox files goes offline. 

I doubt that you would be interested in archiving your uploaded files to the Wayback Machine the way that I do, but IMGBox might interest you.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use imgbb, they have about just two ads and you don't need an account.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^/^ thanks guys :)

@hbenthow is the browser extension labourous for a browser?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
@hbenthow is the browser extension labourous for a browser?

It's fairly easy to use, at least by my standards. All that you have to do is to click on the button on your browser extensions bar or right-click on a page that you want archived, wait a few seconds to see if it's already archived and if it's able to be archived (the extension will tell you) then click the "Archive Page" button. After it finishes archiving (it usually takes a few seconds), you can click the "View archived version" button and it will take you to the archived version.

You can read more about it here:

Save to the Wayback Machine - VerifiedJoseph

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Though after comparing I guess I may have made the colors too bright.

Disagree. The colors in your piece are fantastic! You're really getting quite good!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might not post the images when I'm done, cause its something I might sell, and I think I want it to be a physical release only, not digital, but I'm making a space fantasy adventure horror pulp magazine, first a short-ish test issue with one or two short stories, a novelette and a couple sundays and some dailies from a comic strip. I'm illustrating the stories, doing a bunch of them and then picking out a few that go together nicely and making a story based on those illustrations, like they did in that deep space nine episode where Ben Sisko is back in the 1930s as a pulp writer. Same sorta idea for the cover where I'll make several potential covers and just pick the best/coolest. I'd like to document my progress if no one minds?

First update:
4 more panels to go and the first rough of the first sunday for the comic strip will be done.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will buy!  Hit me up via PM if you want some feedback.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Throw! Will do! :)

2nd update:
a bit of copy (text) left to add and the last 3 panels of the 1st sunday strip will be roughed out.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3rd update:
1st rough for 1st sunday complete!

I was going to post an appropriate gif too, but I couldn't find one that I really liked, with an open cockpit and the right speed capabilities, so were' stuck with this:
Could+ve+turned+out+weirder+_ae3002dfab5b33b6ae75142954f4a67d.gif

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
44 1/4 update:
2nd rough draft is taking longer, the drawing dimensions are larger (approximately 16x20") so that I can get faces to look the way I like and that when the size is reduced for print it should look better, and I guess the 2nd rough draft will pretty much be completed pencils which I will trace onto the nice paper for inking, this way if I f#ck up with the inking it should be easier to redo it without having to do all the penciling work over again, little mistakes can be corrected of course, but right now I don't know what will be the best way to ink it so this way I could trace a few choice panels multiple times and ink each one differently to get a feel for how it should be inked.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ still at it. Have some other things to deal with so I haven't gotten as much done as I'd like, but still at it. Realized I should tackle the concept art phase now while its still early in the strip, before I get ahead of myself and don't know what certain key designs are supposed to look like. Might post some of my unused designs later on that won't appear in the strip.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be honest, I'm intimidated by just this one damn comic page. Haven't got the nerve to finish the pencils for the bottom half of the panels. I can do it, the first rough draft is decent, so whatevers, I'm a big wuss.

Meantime, I'm making a medieval chess set, a 6x6 gold and black checkered board with a set of pieces I found at a thrift store that had a few missing pieces so I just use what pieces can match. Basically like this:
lachess.gif

except that the queens are replaced with bishops as a queen was one of the missing pieces in the set. All of the wood is recycled if you don't count the playing board which is leftover wood from another project. Most of the wood is cut, its a simple construction, I'll probably use some brass screws with glue, don't have big enough clamps to do it the right way. There will be a door on the bottom that when opened will reveal the hold for the pieces and instructions glued to the underside of the playing surface with suggested rules and piece movements.
bod-264-goed-en-toch-fout-s.jpg

I HAVE THE POWER!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The chess board is coming along nicely. The playing surface was a pain to paint, but it looks very nice now after a ton of BS, I'm not satisfied 100% with the clear coat I put on it so next board I make I'll try something different. Am waiting for the stain on the sides of the box to dry before putting down the polyurethane and then I will finish the simple lock for the storage door and get to work on the instructional illustrations that will be glued inside the box.

I started making chess pieces for another project and they have the right look to them that I will end up making the pieces for this board after all to complete the set.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After wasting time with chess stuff for about a month (or two?) I've apparently recharged with a vengeance with art, drawn/painted a bunch of stuff lately, only one was a junker.

Yesterday I started/completed three comic pages about some loud mouthed aliens, started/completed 3 watercolor and colored ink bird paintings, started another fairy painting and continued work on a fan art painting. BAM.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So some artists use a tool called a 'reduction lens' where you hold it over your art, look thru it and your art will appear smaller thus you will more readily see how well the image holds up from a distance, if there is enough contrast and what needs to be made clearer (among other things I am probably forgetting). I couldn't find where to buy one, but after spying a black cap chickadee out my window apparently digging into a sawed off branch I grabbed my set of opera binoculars to get a good look at the tiny dude, after he flew away I flipped the binoculars over to make everything look small as I hadn't done that in years and BAM! Instant reduction lens. Don't have to buy anything. :cool:

Top Bottom