• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Avid Media Composer Thread

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys,

So I've been trying to figure out the best way to edit Blu-ray footage and I was able to get it to work with Avid Media Composer 6.

First off, why Avid? It's the most stable, intuitive, well-rounded Non-Linear Editing system I have ever used. It is industry standard for a reason, and I STRONGLY encourage all Fan-Editors migrate to this brilliant program.

That said, many of you might be left wondering how to set up a Blu-ray sourced video in Avid MC. Here's a simple little guideline:

VIDEO:
Once you've ripped the M2TS files (using DVDFab or even just copying the files right off of the disc in some cases), you'll notice that Avid cannot import these files. You'll need to manually create Avid friendly files using Sorenson Squeeze (comes with Avid Media Composer).

Import the M2TS files into Squeeze and set the profile to MOV with these settings:

Streaming (hinted)
AVID DNcHD Codec
23.98 fps
(Under codec options, set it to 709 color levels, Alpha->None, and 1080p/23.976 DNxHD 175 8-bit)
Force Key Frame Every 300

I'm going to try some tests with more frequent keyframes and an Avid 1:1 setting, but I feel like it wouldn't be too much better and secondly, good look getting your computer to edit that.

The file will be about 3.7 times larger than the original file. (Tested with a 250mb file)

This file can be AMA linked into Avid with no lag.

AUDIO

M2TS -> DTS
Use tsMuxeR to convert the M2TS to DTS (DEMUX audio only)

DTS -> AC3
Rename the DTS to: input.dts
Place the "input.dts" file into the "dts2ac3" folder
Run the .bat file -> should end up with output.ac3

I believe the AC3 SHOULD be enough. In case you want 6 WAV tracks...

AC3 -> WAV
Run BeSweetGUI
Link the EXE to BeSweetv1.4
Link the ac3 we created earlier
Output to WAV 6 tracks

NOTE: AVISYNTH AND DOTNETFX MUST BE INSTALLED!!!

I'll let you guys know once I've run more tests!

Cheers!

A-Man

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoa! Someone else around here insane enough to use Avid! And I thought I was unique. :-D

Thanks for starting this thread, Asteroid Man! I need to try some of the tips you've posted up there.

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After learning Avid, I think it's insane to edit anything as large as these fanedits with anything else. Seriously, I'm surprised Vegas's popularity has grown so large in the FE community with everyone's constant attention to perfection.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The keywords are "after learning Avid". It's quite a pain in the ass when compared to the simplicity of, say, Vegas. Plus, Avid can do wonders beyond the others, but it's also very picky for import formats and easy to screw things up upon export.

But right, at the moment I don't see myself using anything other than Avid. Mainly because I completely detest the "pull-and-drag-over" method of doing the crossfades that so many of the other methods have.

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It took me about two months for me to get comfortable with it, but I'm getting better and better now. It's been about seven months now that I've been working the Avid Workflow.

ALSO! To those looking to get into MC now, learn the default keyboard layout FIRST. Use it for about 3-4 months, and then change shit around based on what you use.

I've got an offline Editing Station at home that I built, and I've got access to six online stations (with proper batch/capture consoles etc). It's such a beauty.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Asteroid-Man said:
I've got an offline Editing Station at home that I built, and I've got access to six online stations (with proper batch/capture consoles etc). It's such a beauty.

Sounds badass!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Asteroid-Man said:
After learning Avid, I think it's insane to edit anything as large as these fanedits with anything else. Seriously, I'm surprised Vegas's popularity has grown so large in the FE community with everyone's constant attention to perfection.

Well there is the small matter that one is $37 and the other is $2500. It would even pay to take some community college course just to get the student discount. :D

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Sounds badass!
Lucky me, eh? Haha, I lose access to the online stations this time next year though. I've still got my Beast though! :D

Brumous said:
Well there is the small matter that one is $37 and the other is $2500. It would even pay to take some community college course just to get the student discount. :D
Haha, fair enough.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, among my favorite things about Vegas (non-Pro version) is that it is extremely powerful and flexible for such a low cost.

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sorry Frink, but I disagree. Vegas is not "extremely powerful" - it is very flexible though!

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha definitely not, my friend. It crashes all the time, things glitch out, it is HIGHLY dependable on your codecs, it is SUPER laggy, insanely long render times, if working drop-frame, it almost always does an automatic "Frame Fuck" (that's an actual term by the way), etc etc.

And have fun cutting a feature film at uncompressed 1080p with that. :p All that money that you'd spend on a computer that could try to keep up with the high-resource hardware required to comfortably edit projects with Vegas could just as easily go into paying a large portion of Media Composer. haha

Don't get me wrong, I still love it for what it was, but only thing left for me to use it for is audio, and that's only because I don't have an M-Box or an iLock to run ProTools (which I also get through tuition :p ). I'm going to try some emulation that will let the program run without an M-Box or iLock plugged in.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Yes, among my favorite things about Vegas (non-Pro version) is that it is extremely powerful and flexible for such a low cost.

Keywords highlighted in bold.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Asteroid-Man said:
Haha definitely not, my friend. It crashes all the time, things glitch out, it is HIGHLY dependable on your codecs, it is SUPER laggy, insanely long render times, if working drop-frame, it almost always does an automatic "Frame Fuck" (that's an actual term by the way), etc etc.

I've had none of these problems.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, yes. I have some friends in Hollywood producing major films who have gear and programs way beyond anything I could afford. Sure, it was great, but I haven't personally needed anything more than what I have.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No one is questioning Avid. It's a simple matter of what we need versus what we can pay.

Top Bottom