• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

XBOX 720 to ban use of used games

stevenjobs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

stevenjobs said:
I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

well keep in mind the ps4 at first will make things look fine and dandy but they too are going to take the same route as the xbox. Best method of all to really let them know how you feel about drm bullshit---Don't buy their product. it will also pretty much shut down any of those used game stores as well

tranzor said:
Best method of all to really let them know how you feel about drm bullshit---Don't buy their product.

^ THIS. I'm not a gamer, but I have a PS3. Mostly for blu-rays and streaming, but I do own a few games. All used. This would pretty much ensure that I never bought a new system.

tranzor said:
it will also pretty much shut down any of those used game stores as well

Absolutely. I think GameStop makes the lion's share of their money on pre-orders and used sales. Eliminate used sales and that company goes bye-bye. No, for some inexplicable reason, a lot of gamers seem to hate GameStop, but that's beside the point.

Well, we'll see what happens when the announcement is made on the 21st. I for one hope this won't happen, as buying pre-owned has allowed me to try games that I couldn't afford before.

Slightly off topic, anyone read about EA dropping online passes? I wonder how this will affect pre-owned sales on their future releases. Will it ramp them up, based on people on a low budget buying them?

JetSetWilly said:
Well, we'll see what happens when the announcement is made on the 21st. I for one hope this won't happen, as buying pre-owned has allowed me to try games that I couldn't afford before.
Don't all games come down dramatically in price after a year or two?

It's probably because I'm not a gamer, but I find myself not very bothered by the idea of banning of used games, though of course I'd be royally pissed if Microsoft tried to pull something similar with used DVDs. Hm...

Gaith said:

It's probably because I'm not a gamer, but I find myself not very bothered by the idea of banning of used games, though of course I'd be royally pissed if Microsoft tried to pull something similar with used DVDs. Hm...

Normally, they do, but in the case of games like Skyrim, it's still Ă‚ÂŁ25 new. I even saw, and was quite shocked, Call of Duty MW2 in the best sellers range for Ă‚ÂŁ25 as well :shock:, whereas pre-owned it's about a tenner. Although I suppose it does all depend on where you go to buy games. The shop I work at is doing pre-owned games, but some of their "pre-owed" is actually new they've either a) got too many of, or b) can't shift for love nor money, and goes for silly prices (Bodycount for a fiver new).

Gaith said:

I am not a gamer at all, but I know a lot of all this stuff going on and from a principle view I am dead against it. If it means anything literally a day ago due to the huge amount of people already on the rampage, supposedly the xbox 720 will allow the decision of the developer to mandate drm or not. Mostly single player games it will not be enforced, but still I hate something telling me I have to be on the internet to use it if I buy it, IF it normally does not need the internet to run to begin with

I've heard stories about GameStop where employees are encouraged NOT to sell new copies but try to insist on selling used ones. This means zero money going to the game studios. So I can see the point. I only play Japanese Shmups that I import new, so I don't see the problem besides having to get an NTSC-J 360.

If this happens PS3 will be the last game system I own. I am a light gamer at best, and cannot justify spending $60 on a game. I'm also the type that has to own a physical copy of my movies, music and games. I don't trust digital "ownership".

Xbox One: not always on, not backwards compatible

Microsoft has at long last provided confirmation that its next generation console, the Xbox One, will not require an always-on Internet connection.

The company says that it will require an Internet connection at least some of the time, however. The console will use its mostly-on Internet connection to perform system management tasks such as downloading updates in the background, backing up game saves to cloud storage, and synchronizing things like the TV shows or movies that you're watching between consoles so that you can start watching a film on one device and pick up where you left off on another.

Games will also be required to be installed to the hard disk and won't need optical media to play.

This has implications for second-hand games. Games will be tied in some way to Live IDs. If you install the game with a second Live ID, there will be some facility to pay money and use the game with that second Live ID; both IDs will then have full access to the game without needing the optical media.

That's fine for concurrent users but isn't appropriate for second hand sales, where the original owner forfeits their right to use the game and the new owner acquires that right. Microsoft says that it has designed Xbox One to "enable customers to trade in and resell games," but won't say any more on this subject or how that will work until later in the year.

The new console also won't be backwards compatible with the Xbox 360. This is entirely unsurprising given the change in processor architecture. Software emulation of the Xbox 360's three core, six thread PowerPC processor on an eight core, x86 processor is technically unfeasible.

Check out the photo gallery from the launch announcement here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/our-first-up-close-look-at-the-xbox-one/

Aaaaaand here it is :

Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

Retailers will be free to charge whatever they wish for pre-owned Xbox One games, but both Microsoft and publishers will take a percentage cut of every sale.

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft has this week briefed key retail partners on how it intends to take ownership of the pre-owned market.

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent. That’s a significant cut from what it has become accustomed to from pre-owned sales and more in line with what they would receive from the sale of a new game – hence, the value of the pre-owned market to the retailer is effectively destroyed.

How very true to Micro$oft form isn't it?

Long live Steam for Linux

if Sony/Nintendo follow suit, it will only create an underground trade/sell system. some of which already exist any way.
i don't have to mention craiglist to illustrate my point.

baileym43 said:
if Sony/Nintendo follow suit, it will only create an underground trade/sell system. some of which already exist any way.
i don't have to mention craiglist to illustrate my point.
But if the systems have to check in every day, will underground trading even be allowed? Or will you need Microsoft's approval, and fee, to transfer ownership of a game?

Again, in broad terms, this seems to make sense to me. Why should a GameStop store manager and employee benefit from a game reselling when, say, said transfer could be done more easily online, with the game disc either shipped in the mail through ebay or something, or even not shipped at all, and simply downloaded to the new system? I'm sympathetic to the crunch being placed on the retail economy, and I'm not rooting for some Hoboken, NJ GameStop worker to be put out of a job, but neither am I more concerned with that potential job loss than I am the supermarket cashier paychecks being eliminated by scanners. ;-)

reave said:
If this happens PS3 will be the last game system I own. I am a light gamer at best, and cannot justify spending $60 on a game. I'm also the type that has to own a physical copy of my movies, music and games. I don't trust digital "ownership".

I thought the high price of games was due to them not making any money back from pre-owned games.... wonder what reason they'll use now to Justify the non lowering of the prices. Also Online passes, wasn't that how they made their money.

I already decided ps3 was going to be the last system I own though, I figured if there's any games that plots interest me, someone will probably upload a 3 hour edited movie to youtube as people have started doing quite a lot lately. At least when this gen bows out we'll have had some good times, there's still several titles to look forward to yet including the Last of us in 3 weeks :D

They better fucking put Battlefront out on ps3 or I will be forced to steal the ps4.

Just fanedit the ps3.

Back
Top Bottom