• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Do you like Phil Collins?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. Sussudio is a great song, a personal favorite of mine.

I like ABACAB, Invisible Touch, and parts of Genesis and We Can't Dance...so, I guess the answer is sort of?

Never really cared much for his solo stuff.

I liked Mike and the Mechanics better than Phll Collins.

Never got into him, but I know that "No Jacket Required" is rocking good stuff.

my mum is a big fan so for better or worse i've had to listen to music, i'd say he's a guilty pleasure :)

i do like this early genesis song
[video=youtube_share;AryXkeAoCec]

love this song
[video=youtube_share;PoTz3WgZm4c]

gotta be honest and say i like the film buster

Yeap, i do like me some Phil Collins.
And because someone has to post this eventually:

Another Day In Paradise is very mainstream but a beautiful song. I probably listened to it too often though.
In the air tonight is good but I listen to a radio show where they play from time to time a live version of it that is just amazing.

Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are all essential prog albums. Phil's solo stuff? No so much.

Don't just stare at it. Eat it.

Adabisi said:
Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are all essential prog albums. Phil's solo stuff? No so much.

Adabisi FTW!

Adabisi said:

Im more of a Pink Floyd kinda guy, but yeah totally agree with you on this

Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole.

Allways been a really big Genesis fan, I have all three discography sets they released a couple years back. For Phil's solo stuff, I really like it. However I only have his Love Songs 2 disc complitation album, which is really the best of the best for his solo stuff. Phil Collins does remind me that no good slow dance/love songs are made anymore. :-(

Count me in also as a fan of Philidalphia Collins, a true artist:
41901794.jpg

I'm appreciating Phil much more than I used to - I think I was burned by the fact that growing up, it felt like all I ever heard of him was repeats of "In the air tonight".

And tbh, I find that song pretty annoying.

Rogue-theX said:
Count me in also as a fan of Philidalphia Collins, a true artist:
41901794.jpg

You starin' at my gut?

Gatos said:
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. Sussudio is a great song, a personal favorite of mine.

Don't forget to put the sheets down before you get the chainsaw out.

and btw Genesis rocked when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer.

Well, Genesis ABACAB was the first album I ever bought as a kid, so I have a big fondness both for Phil, even when he's cheezy, and Genesis. Checking out earlier Genesis led me to the Peter Gabriel-lead days - those PG-led albums still hold up incredibly well, even when other things (especially other prog albums) I used to love have lost their appeal (I was just listening to Lamb Lies Down Friday). But I do like Collins-led Genesis and solo Collins as well - Collins gets pegged as an adult-pop softie because of his hits (which is fair given the number of them), but he's actually got some darker range - just check out the personas of the voyeur in 'I Can Hear Through These Walls' or the psycho-timebomb dude of 'Mama'.

Plus, at one point I recorded an acapella version of 'Against All Odds' on 4-track as a Collins tribute. lol

And hippie Collins could certainly rock the sideburns at the same time Gabriel had his reverse mohawk.

159_image142.jpg

But don't mess with shirtless Collins and his pants-tambourine:

phil.jpg

Genesis Genius!

I can't believe so many people fell for this!

This is my first ever posting on Fanedit.
(Love Adywan's SWRV and Jaws Sharkspoiltation)
I had to reply to this brilliant posting!

Anyway, back to The Geese and The Ghost....

Now, THAT'S WHAT I CALL PHIL COLLINS!!!

Numriser0008.jpg

rael74 said:
Genesis Genius!

I can't believe so many people fell for this!

This is my first ever posting on Fanedit.
(Love Adywan's SWRV and Jaws Sharkspoiltation)
I had to reply to this brilliant posting!

Anyway, back to The Geese and The Ghost....

Now, THAT'S WHAT I CALL PHIL COLLINS!!!

Numriser0008.jpg

Hello there! Just returned from an excellent meal at Dorsia (I had the sea urchin ceviche). Glad you appreciated the thread, I was wondering how many people would bite. Also, welcome to the forums! If you have time, I'm sure TMBTM and Adywan would love to hear that you liked their edits!

Had to bump this thread as I heard this song on the radio this morning and had never heard about it before. It's pretty good.

Also, Phil Collins in a Bone Thugs-N-Harmony video. It doesn't get anymore gangster than that.

[video=dailymotion;x3fqp1]

I enjoy most of the Phil Collins led Genesis. Their self-titled album has tons of great stuff on it, including "Home by the Sea". I really like the Peter Gabriel led Lamb Lies Down on Broadway too. I spent way too much time one evening plowing through Youtube to find live footage of Phil Collins singing the songs from Lamb Lies Down after Gabriel left Genesis. Here is an
example. (poor quality footage though)

Back
Top Bottom