• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2013 Oscar Nominees - Live Action Short Film

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I saw the Live Action Short Films nominated for the Oscar. I haven't seen many short films but was impressed and thoroughly entertained by the nominees (there were 5 total). Two shorts stood out to me as the best of the bunch.

The best of the five IMO was "Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)". I don't want to spoil it but the basic plot is a man who was killed during World War I is stuck in limbo/purgatory and is involved in a Faustian bargain where he uses a camera to capture a person's shadow at the moment of their death. I felt it was pretty much perfect and it left me wanting more/wishing it was a feature length film.

The other short that I really enjoyed was "Curfew". About a troubled man at his lowest point who receives a call from his sister asking him to watch her daughter for a few hours. This too was close to perfect. And an added bonus were some scenes in a bowling alley that I instantly recognized because I've been there a few times (Brooklyn Bowl). I also think this film could have easily been feature-length.

The other three short films I was not as impressed with. Although the short film "Henry" seems to have received a lot of positive reviews from critics and regular folk. Anyway, if you get a chance to watch these, I highly recommend it. I think they are available as VOD and/or on iTunes. I was lucky enough to have a local movie theater that was showing them.

Yay! So "Curfew" won. Definitely deserved, although like I said in my first post, I did like "Death of a Shadow" just a bit more. I still think if you guys get a chance you should check out some of these shorts. Who knows, it could inspire an editor to make a short, or perhaps spawn new consecution ideas.

Back
Top Bottom