• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Sony Vegas Pro Vs. Premiere Pro

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ready, Set, Fight!

I very experienced with editing in Vegas. My only experience with Premiere is in a roundabout way via After Effects, but I am considering trying it out for next edit.

Would love to here from people who have experience with both!

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't used Vegas for fanediting, but I used it for a long time before for short films of my own. I started using Premiere when i started to use After Effects more and more. For the most part, Premiere is better except there is a weird gripe that you can't cut all 6 channels of audio at the same time. Aside that, I find the Premiere workflow faster, but as effective if not more than Vegas.
Also, a new idea of editing, I'm thinking about using is the Speech Analysis tool. You can have Premiere reference the movie script and create a synchronized transcript. If you can't remember where a line is then just search it. (Especially useful in a Ridiculous edit, maybe) Plus, you can cut by lines and watch the the individual words highlight as they are synced with the movie. Pretty cool feature, I have to admit.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Up until Icarus, I edited all my projects on Sony Vegas Pro and I absolutely loved it. Vegas is a fantastic piece of software for the beginner in editing, in that it's quite easy to come to terms with. What's more, it's more than powerful enough to handle anything you would care to throw at it - particularly for fanediting. Premiere Pro on the other hand, is a steeper learning curve I found. I paid for an excellent online course to make sure I learnt it inside out, and boy am I glad I did.

I really did find it daunting at first, but once you get used to it, you will appreciate the faster workflow for sure. Even with projects where you're using loads of footage from a vast array of AVI files, it loads up very quickly, far quicker than Vegas could. The interface is not as immediately user friendly as Vegas though. Plus, there are still aspects of some of the effects on Sony Vegas which I prefer - although of course if you are going to learn After Effects as well, that kinda becomes redundant.

Overall, I really like Premiere Pro and will stick with it from now on. However, for a cheaper option, Vegas Pro is still an excellent choice in my books.

mrjerm

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I only have used Premiere (which is the only one I have, not coincidentally) - I had the choice to buy either the adobe suite or vegas, not both (not made of $$$ here). Is there any point to learning Vegas if I've already poured in hours into Premiere? I've only done basic to midlevel stuff, always pushing myself, but I do enjoy editing.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vegas baby, Vegas. It does everything I want it to (besides magically creating my DVD menus) and it's fairly cheap.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
and it's fairly cheap.

I don't understand the world you guys live in where $600 for a hobby is cheap.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, back when I got Vegas 8 (my current version) 10 was out and 8 was selling for $225.

On Amazon you can get Vegas Pro 12 for $460 and Vegas Pro 11 for $350. 12 is even less if you have Amazon Prime.

So compared to Adobe at $700 it's "cheap".

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I don't understand the world you guys live in where $600 for a hobby is cheap.

Lol. Try skiing or scuba diving!

As a student right now, I can get a good deal on the latest adobe creative suite, so I guess I'll give Premiere a try since I need to get After Effects anyway. Maybe given the fact that it will be a couple years newer than my Vegas Pro 10, there will be some added features/benefit.

Also, I never want to use DVD Architect again as long as I live. Biggest POS ever when it comes to HD.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Speech Analysis
I'd like to know more about that can you PM a link, or something?
geminigod said:
Try skiing or scuba diving!
Also, I never want to use DVD Architect again as long as I live. Biggest POS ever when it comes to HD.
Or Skydiving. As for DVD Menus, why aren't people doing things in BlueRay now?

As a basis for this thread for people like myself that have limited experience with both:
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?2235-the-good-tools-gt-for-video-editing

I found Premiere overwhelming for the first...many...many hours overwhelming.

A question for everyone though. What can Sony Vegas Pro that Premiere Pro can't, and vica-versa?

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ByteShare said:
I'd like to know more about that can you PM a link, or something?
Just google it, you'll find some useful videos on Adobe TV, youtube, etc. on how to use it, if you want to.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Just google it, you'll find some useful videos on Adobe TV, youtube, etc. on how to use it, if you want to.
Reading what you said after Google it, so the Speech Analysis tool is something specifically in Premiere? I wasn't sure if it was something separate and was hoping it was separate. What you wrote lets me know that unless I use Premiere I don't need to learn about it. Thank you,
ByteShare

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ByteShare said:
As a basis for this thread for people like myself that have limited experience with both:
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?2235-the-good-tools-gt-for-video-editing

2009 was a long time ago.

Regarding bluray menus, there are many on this site that release bluray versions.

Oh, also, emanswfan, Vegas has the same problem of being able to crossfade multiple audio tracks at the same time. I can cut them all at once but can't apply crossfades all at once.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Regarding bluray menus, there are many on this site that release bluray versions.
Thanks, I'll look out for them. I haven't come across any yet. DVD is just such an old format, I'm surprised how much it is still used here. And, yes, I know they still release movies in the DVD format and many people still use it. I know in most countries in East Asia, Central America from experience use it almost entirely (at least in the bootleg stalls). I hope everyone keeps up the great work :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Off the top of my head:
1) Not everyone has a blu ray drive to rip with
2) Not everyone owns blu ray sources
3) Not everyone has enough computing power to edit in HD
4) When editing from multiple sources, not every source is available in HD

There's plenty of reason to still edit in SD.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Off the top of my head:
1) Not everyone has a blu ray drive to rip with
2) Not everyone owns blu ray sources
3) Not everyone has enough computing power to edit in HD
4) When editing from multiple sources, not every source is available in HD

There's plenty of reason to still edit in SD.
I was talking about making BluRay. The source wouldn't matter if you're making BluRay. I hadn't even thought about source materials. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day because DVD has been around so long that support for it will last many more years, but at some point BluRay will be a lone factor, for how long is also a good question.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ByteShare said:
I was talking about making BluRay. The source wouldn't matter if you're making BluRay. I hadn't even thought about source materials. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day because DVD has been around so long that support for it will last many more years, but at some point BluRay will be a lone factor, for how long is also a good question.

First, since Blu is backwards compatible, DVD will likely be around as long as Blu is. Sure, they might stop making blanks, but that seems unlikely given that you can sill find blank cassette tapes. And second, why do you say the source wouldn't matter if you're making a Blu? If you're not using an HD source, the best you can do is upconvert, and that's obviously not the same thing.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
First, since Blu is backwards compatible, DVD will likely be around as long as Blu is. Sure, they might stop making blanks, but that seems unlikely given that you can sill find blank cassette tapes. And second, why do you say the source wouldn't matter if you're making a Blu? If you're not using an HD source, the best you can do is upconvert, and that's obviously not the same thing.
They add in support for DVD each time they make BluRay players, so it is possible they would stop at some point, but you could always find a DVD player for years to come. I can still buy an HD-DVD player. I was just thinking the BluRay menus were more forward thinking since you can have more interactivity.
As for as the source it doesn't matter, you can use a DVD source for making a BluRay. It shouldn't lower the end quality unless you do it wrong. Or what am I missing?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Then I guess I don't understand why you want edits on Blu-ray, if you don't care about the source. You just want better menus?

As far as backwards compatibility, my understanding is that the Blu-ray Disc Association requires it as part of the format.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Oh, also, emanswfan, Vegas has the same problem of being able to crossfade multiple audio tracks at the same time. I can cut them all at once but can't apply crossfades all at once.
Fair enough, never used Vegas Pro with 5.1, I only did one fanedit about a year ago in stereo. And I still have yet to find a reason for my normal projects to be 5.1. I swear there is one that can crossfade all at once?

Top Bottom