• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Quentin Tarantino: The Definitive Guide to Homages, Influences and References

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice, thanks. And yeah, I had heard about the similarities between Reservoir Dogs and City on Fire. Finally saw City on Fire a couple years ago and I can definitely see the stuff that QT stole, but they're 2 completely different movies.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great links! Definitely have to check them out. Though, like you said, I highly doubt it is actually "definitive." I'm sure it's near impossible to sort out all the references. I made a video project some time ago with some friends, and we weren't feeling very creative, so almost all our jokes were pop-culture references. When I re-watch the video, I find there are some references that even I've forgotten about, and it's only a few minutes long.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
I haven't looked through this site yet. I doubt it's the definitive guide, but still pretty cool IMO

http://whatculture.com/film/quentin-tarantino-definitive-guide.php

And here are some cool vids concerning QT references

The next two vids, this guy says Quentin flat out steals (which i guess is true, QT never made it a secret)

Bumping this since it's been a long time and there may be some others who are interested in it.  I was a huge Tarantino fan from his very beginning, but as I've watched more films, especially more old films, I've really gotten a different take on him.

He's not so much a director as the ultimate faneditor.  He writes slash fiction, mashing different genres, then assembles characters, dialogue, music, and shots from all the things he's seen before to try to make a different version.  At his best, the assemblage seems to be so different (because so many people don't recognize what the sources are) that he seems to have created something new.  At his worst, his theft doesn't seem very creative, because he has the same actor playing the same character and doing the same thing, just in his movie (Go-Go from Kill Bill is a prime example).

Love him, hate him, or somewhere in between...in terms of Hollywood directors, you have to admit that Tarantino is really different.

Top Bottom