• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IFDB Review: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Redux:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is the /definitive/ Superman II cut. The theatrical version (ie. Lester Cut) of Superman II is good, but people take issue with the various inexplicably added on powers that Supes and Team Zod have, such as levitation-vision, teleportation, holo-projection, and memory-wiping kisses. Plus there's the complete of lack of Marlon Brando's Jor-El. The Donner Cut, on the other hand, is so fixated on utilizing alternate shots, scenes and dialogue that there is little thought given to whether or not these bits from the Lester Cut are in fact better. For example, having a toilet flush sound in the Fortress of Solitude is just retarded. I've also watched ADM's Hybrid Cut, and you know, it just doesn't feel quite right. ADM mixes the two versions together in what appears to be big chunks; you watch the Lester Cut for a while, then switch to Donner, then back to Lester for a bit.... What made me notice it most was during the depowering scene. ADM uses the Donner Cut during that whole scene, even though various shots from the Lester Cut are far better. THIS fanedit, Booshman's Superman II Redux, is /fantastic/. I've always said that the key to making a wonderful fanedit is to make it appear as though it's not a fanedit at all, and Booshman accomplishes this beautifully with the quality of the video and audio, transitions/cuts, etc. It's just first rate. Again, I notice a major difference (in Booshman's favor) between Redux and ADM's Hybrid in how here, during the depowering scene, Superman says "Father (from Donner)... I love her" (from Lester), various visual shots from the Lester Cut are used with Donner's audio during the actual depowering, and Jor-El looks at a Lois who /isn't/ wearing a Superman-themed nightshirt (in Donner's Cut it is supposed to be part of his suit, but fails). Also, the replacement of inexplicable powers with established ones are /very/ well done; the actual depowering includes various Lester Cut visuals; and the White House lawn fountains are no longer from an obvious still shot. Further, there is the branching option of letting you decide if you prefer the pink bear scene or the intercut screen test (ie. do you prefer Superman subconsciously, yet purposefully revealing himself to Lois, or else Superman being outsmarted by Lois.) I prefer the former, which ADM's cut does not offer. I could go on and on. This cut is just fantastic. ...oh yeah--Lois is allowed to remember everything. Because, you know, she isn't so annoyingly selfish that Supes has to kiss her memory goodbye; and we don't have to groan at the recycled used of the same reversing time bit as was done in Superman: The Movie. I highly recommend this edit.

More...

Top Bottom