• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Sick to death of crashes

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vegas is driving me crazy. It's killed my enthusiasm for two fan edits I'm working on. For some reason, the damn thing crashes frequently when I try to preview my clips.

I've split my timeline into "parts" to try to avoid this but I still suffer a LOT of crashes when I try to preview. Sometimes it works fine, other times it crashes. I can see no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm using Pro 12 btw with windows 7 64. Anybody else experience this or can offer any advice?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It crashes on me sometimes too when previewing. I forget exactly what I did that would cause it to crash, but there seemed to be a pattern where it would crash when I would click around on the timeline too much during playback. Save frequently! Extra memory can't hurt, but there is a chance it won't solve the problem.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems, although I'm only on Vegas Pro 10 and a dual core laptop. Although it only happens with me when I click and it loads but it takes a long time, and I click again and crashes.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had similar issues when using pro 9 on win xp. Except in my case it would crash when I had/tried to view too many keyframing. Always thought the software ran kind of clunky and not smooth which is why I do not use it often at all

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Although it only happens with me when I click and it loads but it takes a long time, and I click again and crashes.

Not sure what this means. Need more info. Though it sounds like you may have some general hardware performance issues. Make sure your video preview settings are set as low as they can go.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had issues with Pro 10 crashing (about 4 months ago), then I un-installed and re-installed and haven't had any issues since.

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got 4gb of ram and am running windows 7 64. I upped the RAM settings for the preview from 200 to 300 and I haven't had any problems yet.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How many sticks of ram are in your computer? 4gb is on the low end. 4gb sticks are 20 bucks, if you have the extra slot I'd suggest throwing another one in.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Not sure what this means. Need more info. Though it sounds like you may have some general hardware performance issues. Make sure your video preview settings are set as low as they can go.

I think it might be the age of my laptop, if I'm honest (2008 I bought it brand new). Although I am looking to upgrade in the near future, though. It's probably because I've only 3GB of ram, and I might need more.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
I think it might be the age of my laptop, if I'm honest (2008 I bought it brand new). Although I am looking to upgrade in the near future, though. It's probably because I've only 3GB of ram, and I might need more.

Yup, that's a problem.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another problem which has only recently cropped up (about 4 days ago), it keeps stuttering, even the audio. Although I did install a new antivirus, so it might be stealing needed ram. Think I might have to go with a different one.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Another problem which has only recently cropped up (about 4 days ago), it keeps stuttering, even the audio. Although I did install a new antivirus, so it might be stealing needed ram. Think I might have to go with a different one.

Or just buy more ram. But yeah, some antivirus programs like Norton are major memory hogs.

Look, 3 GB is unacceptable for normal stuff, much less video editing, but you already knew this before starting this thread. You are looking for a magic solution in order to avoid dealing with the problem right in front of you.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JSW didn't start this thread.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've sorted it now, anyway. Turns out it was my antivirus. It's all running smoothly now. Sorry to hijack the thread.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even still. If memory < 8bg then buy more memory.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, it seems to be working at the mo, but it is something I'll be looking into sometime soon.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
I've sorted it now, anyway. Turns out it was my antivirus. It's all running smoothly now. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Lol. It is a little misleading to say "it was my antivirus." The antivirus software is just a co-factor, but most likely not the underlying cause. It reduces the amount of memory available, and thus you get stuttering video, but it is the amount of memory available that is the real cause. As long as you understand this, its all good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't get a virus in the meantime.

Top Bottom