• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What are you listening to at the moment?

4/19 playlist:

Purple Rain - Prince [title track only]
19th Nervous Breakdown - The Rolling Stones
Bicycle Race - Queen
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Beatles
THRAK - King Crimson [VROOM EP version]
You Got Me Floatin' - PM Dawn [cover of a Jimi Hendrix song]
Warped + Deep Kick - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Five To One - The Doors
They're Coming To Take Me Away - Napolean XIV
Imagine - A Perfect Circle [cover of a John Lennon song]
Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) + Rosetta Stoned - Tool
Flyentology - El-P
The Wizard - Black Sabbath
Across The Universe - Fiona Apple [cover of a Beatles song]
In-A-Gadda-Da-Via - Iron Butterfly
Psychobilly Freakout - Reverend Horton Heat
Where Is My Mind - The Pixies
Brain Damage + Eclipse - Pink Floyd
Echoes - Pink Floyd

4/20 playlist:

the construKction of light - King Crimson [full album]
Bonzo's Monstreux - Led Zeppelin
The Joker - Steve Miller Band
Scarlet Begonias - Sublime [cover of a Grateful Dead song]
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
3 AM - Eminem [3:00 AM]
Eat the Elephant - A Perfect Circle [full album]
Purple Rain (2015 Remaster) - Prince [full album]
The Life of Pablo (19 Track Edition) - Kanye West [full album]
I Wanna Get High - Cypress Hill
Sweet Leaf - Black Sabbath
Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 - Bob Dylan
Hits From The Bong - Cypress Hill
Marijuana - Reverend Horton Heat
The Lions And The Cucumber - The Vampire Sound Incorporation
Roll It Up, Light It Up, Smoke It Up - Cypress Hill
7 - Prince
Eat the Elephant - A Perfect Circle [full album reprise]
Level 5 - King Crimson [full EP]
Because I Got High - Afroman
One Toke Over The Line - Brewer & Shipley
I Smoke Two Joints - [Not] Bob Marley
Mary Jane - Rick James
Marijuana In Your Brain - Lords of Acid
Goddamn Electric - Pantera
Smoke Two Joints (x3) - Sublime [cover of a reggae song incorrectly attributed to Bob]

4/21 playlist:

[all full albums]
Purple Rain (OG mix) - Prince
Phantom Thread - Jonny Greenwood
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
The Power To Believe - King Crimson
Punk In Drublic - NoFx
Pulp Fiction - Various Artists
The Pick of Destiny - Tenacious D
Parade - Prince
Purple Rain (2015 remaster) - Prince

4/22 playlist:

7 - Prince
Let Love In - Nick Cave [full album]
I'm Gonna Kill That Woman - Nick Cave
Murder Ballads - Nick Cave [full album]

Because TM2YC made me think about Argento's films I just had to play some Goblin music. "Non Ho Sonno" ("Sleepless") is most definitely a hidden gem of a soundtrack. The film is whatever but the music is so addictive.

20 years in the making, the new Sleep album absolutely crushes.

^ heck yes! The new Sleep is amazing! I wish they would have released it on any other label than Third Man, but so happy to have new Sleep jams.

Neglify said:

R U on 10 yet? Eye live on ten.

I thoroughly enjoy that whole record and most of the score, too. Probably my favorite music overall in a Marvel movie, though that was a relatively low bar to clear.

This probably isn’t the music most popular among forum members, but I’ve been working on the guitar solo to Steely Dan’s Kid Charlemagne this week. Such a great solo. 

England's Kingdom Choir nailed it. Never heard the song sung better:

02.06 when they catch each others look and smile. Hang on... I've got something in my eye :D .

Moe_Syzlak said:
This probably isn’t the music most popular among forum members, but I’ve been working on the guitar solo to Steely Dan’s Kid Charlemagne this week. Such a great solo. 

Steely Dan was my Dad's favorite band. Is that you in the video?

DigModiFicaTion said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Steely Dan was my Dad's favorite band. Is that you in the video?

Si. It’s easier to play on an electric guitar.  ;)

Started watching Rick and Morty, and just finished episode 6, which had this beautiful ending song.

I didn't believe in it, but it works.

I've been enjoying the the re-release of Appetite for Destruction.  My thoughts pertain to the Super Deluxe Amazon MP3 version - your mileage may vary across the various physical and digital incarnations of the remaster.

"Disc 1" is the remastered version of the original album.  Everything sounds just a bit clearer to me.  Instruments and backing vocals are more distinct than they used to be.  Audiophiles with lossless versions, better sound equipment, and non-Tinnitus-ridden ears may have a different take on the matter, but I think it's an all-around improvement over the original.  A subtle improvement, nothing drastically different.

"Disc 2" is subtitled "B-Sides N' EP's".  A more appropriate title might be "Lies from the Jungle".  It contains the original four faux-live tracks from the Live like a Suicide EP, which were later included on the Lies album.  Three of the four acoustic tracks from Lies are also present.  The ultra-controversial One in a Million is omitted, which I think was the right choice.  In its place, however, are the real goodies.  There's yet another acoustic version of You're Crazy - I think it predates AFD, possibly.  Best of all, there's the entirety of the formerly Japanese exclusive Live from the Jungle EP.  There's a couple catchy live tracks, and a faux-live version of the relatively unknown Shadow of Your Love.  With some re-ordering of the tracks, I consider this to be an upgrade/replacement for Lies altogether.

Discs 3 and 4 consist of early recording sessions that predate the AFD album, and some other odds and ends.  First off are most, but not all of the AFD songs, and they play how you'd expect.  Less polish, less rapid tempo, just rougher all around the edges.  Standard demo fare.  Interesting if you're a fan, but nothing mind-blowing... with one exception.  This prototype version of Anything Goes is a pleasant surprise!  I always considered it the weakest track on the album.  This 1986 version has almost completely different lyrics, and some significant musical differences, too.  I think it's much better than what became the finished product. 

Then there's another version of Shadow of Your Love - this is the one that starts out with "Wake up!  It's time to play!" - that's been out in the wild for a while.  Heatrbeak Hotel and Jumpin Jack Flash are enjoyable covers, roughly on par with the Spaghetti era stuff.  Disc 4 kicks off with yet another version of Shadow of Your Love - the single version featured in the video above.  There's a bit of controversy around this one (because of course there's controversy - it's GNR after all).  It's not entirely clear when this was recorded - and some (including former drummer Steven Adler) have alleged that some portions of the recording may have been done with the current lineup of the band very recently.  Mysterious, but probably the best of the three versions included.

The remainder of Disc 4 primarily consists of other prototype/alternate versions of songs presented previously on the album, but there's a few notable standouts and anomalies.  There's an instrumental version of the pinball-exclusive Ain't Goin Down.  The Plague is a 50-second vocal fragment of a song that never came to be.  New work tune is an instrumental that was never worked on again (despite studio banter approving of it).  There's an early take of Illusions era song Back Off.  Perhaps most interestingly, there's two very early versions of November Rain, one with piano accompaniment, the other with acoustic guitar.  There's some differences in lyrics and structure.  For those that think the final product was overproduced, these are certainly worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom