• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Compilation Covers

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Current material I'm after:

High res posters for Predator 1 & 2 (not a priority).

I'm currently working on the Hannibal Films, Godfather (I have a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure yet which I'll use) and Predator, coming up after those will be Back to the Future, Scream and Terminaotr (1&2).

I'm creating "compilation" covers. Mainly they'll simply be replacements for retail covers so that instead of having 2 or more DVD cases to cover a single movie series, you can use one - but also I'll be creating amaray covers to use instead of O-ring packaging. This is the current list of movies I own that I'll be creating covers for:

Alien quad +Legacy disc - (NOT a priority as Ric Easton's is perfect)
Back to the Future trio (to replace O-ring)
?Batman (NOT a priority)
Blade 1 & 2
Blade Runner 5-disc set (complete)
Conan - Barbarian + Destroyer
E. T. (to replace O-ring)
The Exorcist (Theatrical + DC) (completed)
Godfather trio
?James Bond (NOT a priority)
Jurassic Park trio (completed) version 2 (all red) ... region1 box region2/4 box
Hannibal trio - Manhunter LE, Manhunter Restored DC, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal & Red Dragon - NOT Rising!
Predator 1 & 2
?Red Eye (NOT a priority)
?The Ring (NOT a priority)
Robocop (completed)
Saw 1, 2, 3, 4, +?
Scream - box set + DC
Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi (completed)
Star Wars 1, 2, 3 (completed)
Star Wars special features
Superman 1,2,3,4 9-disc set
Terminator 1 & 2
Total Recall
24 Season 1 (to replace O-ring)
24 Season 2 (to replace O-ring)
X-Men

Once this list is complete I may be persuaded to go on to replace all my "snapper" covers. Further more, all Double-sided discs will also feature disc art (to be used with back-ups), however this is not a priority, and I'm only going to make them when and if I'm going to create backups (which isn't very much). I will update this post as time goes by to include ALL my material in it, linked to either plamdi.com or deviantart.com, or wherever else I choose to host my files. The plan is to add them to deviantart and create a page or several pages on plamdi.com which will cover any additional resources for each cover (such as disc art, alternate logos, etc).

What I would like most is if anyone can provide any high-quality scans of DVD-covers, or can provide high-resolution poster images, or other high-resolution pictures (or knows where to download them for free), please let me know. Obviously I can scan my own packaging, however in some (and probably many) cases I would certainly benefit from having alternate packing scans. I'll let you know within this post if I'm after any images in particular.

Disc-art:
Until I get around to putting these on a page here with completed covers, here's some disc art for The Exorcist - the original disc is a DVD-10, and so fits onto two DVD-R's with no re-compression.

exorcistdiscartof5.jpg

(Actual discs)

And here's the files:

With Australia "R18+" rating:

Without:

robo_front.jpg

robo_in.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very cool idea. I am a big fan of multi cases as they save a lot of room on the shelf. I am very interested in the Jurrasic Park cover. I made one myself a while ago, but I was in a hurry and I really hate it. If you could make something spiffy, that would be awesome ;)

Also I have some blade runner posters, in much better quality. One of the ones is the same poster you have linked above, but the original art without the text. The images are very-high res with little or no artifacts. I can email them to you if you wish. I also have some great high-res poster images for BTTF and some x-men

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, you have a PM.

This is a very cool idea. I am a big fan of multi cases as they save a lot of room on the shelf.
Well that's the idea! I just need to work out where to get quality multi-disc amaray cases from. By all means email me everything you have, that would be much appreciated. I'll try to get onto Jurrassic Park for you.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have had very good luck getting good quality multi disc cases from ebay. The price was very reasonable and I was quite happy with the quality. I can not say the same for single amaray cases. While they have all been cheap, the quality has been crappy at times.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cool!

and btw, i will try to get you those other br posters today

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jurassic Park complete... Next cover will be The Exorcist - would be really good if anyone can provie a high-res poster scan, but not absolutly required.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i like the JP cover, but would also be nice to see the spine and front simplified, maybe "the complete trilogy" or something to that effect, since you have everything listed on the back. just a suggestion. looks good and thanks for sharing

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm, I may re-work the spine a bit later, the text is a little large.

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the spine and the front should both just say Trilogy...use the JP font and make it say the Jurassic Park Trilogy or the Complete Jurassic Park Trilogy or something...as ThrowngCpr said since you mention all of them on the back.

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't mean to sound disrespectful to your idea, and thanks very much for your feedback, however I was basing my design on my 2-disc JP&LW DVD which looks like this:

jporiguk0.jpg

(take a look at the dvd-logo placement on the spine! someone must have been smoking some wacky-tobaccy!) I might just add the thing I don't like about this cover is that the front pic's background isn't a solid red, I also can't for the life of me work out why part of The Lost World's logo-text on the back (the Jurassic Park part) is in red while the rest is white. But I do like the two-colour simplicity.

And secondly, I don't like the "African" font, I don't think it looks anything like the original (especially when placed next to it). Take a look (this is somewhat modified to fit the original better): link.

Which means I'd have to create the text from scratch (much like what I ended up doing for the JP3 text mind you). Also, I have lots more covers to do, so I can't go making too many versions of each cover (and I provided the region 1 and region 2/4 spec boxes), but feel free to attempt it yourself and I'll be happy to include the 3-rd version on this page (and also at plamdi.com when I get around to compiling a page to present them all on). I have provided the Jurassic Park covers in PNG format and there'll be no generational loss, or just do the trilogy text and I'll paste it into the image and save it.

[rant] I'll just add that I don't consider it to be a true trilogy, because both the first two movies differ so much from the book - and I remember one of the producers for the 3rd film (a woman) saying that Jurassic Park is educational - that's completely untrue! Every single dinosaur in the book is a work of fiction, and the movie is based on the book's ideas - like that raptors were much larger then they really were (and for the movie although they call them raptors, their model is based on a completely different dinosaur skeleton, and if I remember correctly they did this based on what was at the time "new" findings that some species of raptor could have been larger then previously thought), and basically the movie's are action-only. The first book is about failure in complex systems, and is incredibly well written. The second is about changes in behaviour, and they visit the island to test Malcolm's theory (and his business partner Levine who finances it isn't even in the movie and is replaced by Hammond - and then Malcolm's reason for going to the island is replaced as well!) Since neither of the first two movies even remotely resembles the original story, I cannot see the movies as a trilogy. [/rant]

I will be fixing the spines, however because I do think the text is a little large.

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars 1, 2, 3 complete - I know it may look slack because all I did was open my old covers and thow it all onto one cover - but hey I printed it:

swpfrontpa9.jpg

I've also fixed the Jurassic Park spines, what do you think - much better? :D

Enjoy!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spines do look a bit better. At first glance, i didnt know what to think of the SW prequels cover, but it is growing on me very much. simple yet elegant. I think I will leave mine as they are for now, but I like that.

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really not liking the Star Wars ones at all. There's absolutely nothing to them and they're boring. The JP spine does look a lot better though.

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I think you'll feel differently about my blade runner covers... now complete, I'll upload them tomorrow (I'm going to do a colour print test first for the R2's background colour) - I may also slightly re-work the R1 spec logo's (specifically, to include the aspect ratio, possibly the canadian classification and I may remove the recyclable logo - which is there in homage to the snapper DVD):

R1WIP R2WIP

I hope you like them! In case your wondering, the sole reason I used a green background instead of black on the R2 cover was to heighten the impact of the 4 photos on the reverse. I wanted to include the BBFC "18" and "anti-copy" logos on the reverse of the R2, but didn't due to colour. The logos that are used are essentially Warner-correct.

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second one is way better than the first. I'd maybe suggest using a dark blue for the BG instead of green, mainly because the themed color of Blade Runner seems to have a much more blue overtone rather than green. I like the logo better, the layout is very nice, and the images chosen are good.

The first one is a bit too bland. The front cover's kind of boring, as I think Harrison Ford's name is too big and the logo is placed oddly, which I don't like. The back is extremely bland and I really don't like how big the logos are on the back and how much space is taken up with a simple sillohuette.

The second one's nice, but the first needs a lot of work.

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The R1 is a much more American design, although you may be right that it does need a bit of work - however I won't be removing the glyph.

For the R2, I don't think blue would bring out the reverse photos or contrast as well with the yellowed logos -which I used instead of red and is based on these posters:

poster220bladerunnerjy1.jpg
advanceml9.jpg

But the thing I really like about the green is it subtly makes it look a little dated. I started the R2 cover first, but finished the R1 first ... so I do still have some minor work to do. Note also the size of "Harrison Ford" in the above poster - and the below one.

It's funny you should mention that you don't like the R1 "logo", because all I did was create a high-resolution one using this official one as my base:

I didn't do anything to it for the R1 - and I was going to use exactly the same logo on the R2 (except in yellow).

I might just upload the back cover off the R2, because one of the limitations I found was that I had to list disc 1, 3 and 5 on the left and 2 and 4 on the right - which is logical to the point that the movie discs are on the left, and the supplemental ones on the right - but I still don't know if it was the best choice:

I might also add the the text on the right (Disc 2 and 4) is slightly condensed compared to the left - in addition to having tighter line-spacing.

The credits are in the box purely cosmetically - another problem I had was filling in blank space, and using yellow credits kind of detracted from the authority of the title and photos, and so in the end I boxed them in (which was good because I wanted another box anyway and I'd tried boxing the logo's but worked out it didn't work). Let me know what you think, thanks for your feedback,

Daniel

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My net's been down all day, so I've only just been able to upload the covers. I printed the R2 last night, and it's sitting in a 5-disc cover awaiting the discs that will be deployed on Dec 3rd from Amazon.co.uk.

Top Bottom