• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Scrooge: The Literary Cut (AVAILABLE AGAIN)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tagline: Both the tale you know by heart, and a completely new experience.

Original title: Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol (1951)
Original movie release: 1951
Fanedit release: December 2006
Original running time: 86 minutes.
Fanedit running time: 69 minutes (V2).
Time cut: 17 minutes.
Release: MKV (V2).

In a nutshell: The classic 1951 version of A Christmas Carol rendered more faithful to its literary source via the removal of the events created specifically for the screen, and visually reshaped for a fresh viewing experience.

Intention:

The widely beloved 1951 movie starring Alastair Sim is the definitive adaptation of A Christmas Carol for many people, yet it felt the need to expand upon the book by adding new sequences that in my view damage the balance of the narration making it lean too much towards the Christmas Past segments in detriment of the rest. The intention with this edit is constructing a more balanced narrative by removing those additions. Furthermore, a new visual style (which I will not spoil here so far) has been implemented throughout, based on an old idea of mine from way before I knew about fanedits, on a style that I always thought would fit this story perfectly and is how I would have filmed it.

Not all changes from the book have been removed. If a scene was new but had an equivalent in the novellla, I left it in.

Also, it must be pointed out that due to the particularities of this edit, it had to be created from an unrestored, unremastered source. As such, it looks somewhat battered and far from pristine HD. Hope you're forgiving about this aspect.

DISCLAIMER: In December 2021, an attempt was made to upscale this using Topaz, but since the source was not HQ enough, the software went insane and invented textures that weren't there. So unfortunately it has to stay as an SD edit. If a HD source that fits the edit's aesthetic intentions is ever released, I'll recreate it. Otherwise, if anyone wants to try to upscale it and manages to achieve good enough results, they're free to do so (and I'd appreciate a copy).

Cutlist:

-Cut Tiny Tim at the toy shop window. This is Scrooge's story, and thios is the one scene that he is neither present in, nor witnessing, nor affected by. Plus, I really detest the character of Tiny Tim, even in the book, and would have cut him back further if I could.

-Cut Mr Jorkin at Fezziwig's and meeting Scrooge. Mr. Jorkin, a character created for the movie, is completely removed from this edit.

-Cut Fan's death scene. All that's relevant from it is learnt from the Ghost of Christmas Past earlier in the story.

-Cut Scrooge meeting Marley for the first time. Can be taken for granted anyway.

-V2 CHANGE: Cut young Scrooge and Marley buying Fezziwig's business. With the previous cuts it kind of felt like it came out of nowhere.

-Cut the boardroom scene. The kind of businessman Scrooge is is clearly established from the very opening, no need to elaborate.

-Cut Jacob Marley's death scene. Not only is it unneeded, but I feel it works against the story in a way, as Marley delivering a warning to Scrooge before dying makes him coming back as a ghost much less poignant.

-Cut the Ghost of Christmas Present's talk of "the child born in Bethlehem". Too much Christian propaganda. No problem with human characters being depicted as very religious, but a spirit delivering a mini-sermon is a completely different subject.

-V2 CHANGE: Cut scene depicting Scrooge's lost love as a spinster. I initially left it in because the book did have a segment depicting her fate (she married another man), but decided to remove it because I heavily dislike the trope of having the hero's girlfriend decide that if she's not for the hero she's for no man.

Last edited:
Awesome! Love the Alastair Scrooge! Nice to see a Christmas themed fanedit here for a change!

Right on, I was hoping you`d get this one off the ground, Dwight. :)

now that is a surprise release!

DVD uploaded. Until it shows up you-know-where, feel free to PM me for the links.

Dwight Fry said:
Until it shows up you-know-where, feel free to PM me for the links.

You are allowed to say "info."

This edit is finally available on the noseless guy site.

Aaaand my Mediafire account is gone. Reported and blocked. RS files still work, though we all know what RS is like now, so I hope enough people grabbed it on time for Christmas. I'll reupload the edit (not to MF, though, I'm done with that) but there's no time to have it there again for tomorrow. :-(

I can re-up to Mediafire today for anybody that didn't get a chance to grab it and wants to watch it before Christmas. PM me if you're one of those people.

Thanks a lot, Neg. Your connection seems a lot faster than mine so maybe you'll be able to get it there on time. I owe you a beer.

I'm uploading the AVI version to filefront, just to test the server. Seems to be a pretty fast upload, so I might have it there on time (the DVD I don't think so).

As I wouldn't want anybody interested in this edit to miss it for Xmas Eve due to unavailability, I've also released it to YouTube (hope it doesn't get removed!)

Here it is, and it also goes to the first post of the thread.

Sweet. And the DVD is back on Mediafire. PM me or Dwight for links.

Ironically, Dwight, you've picked the only version of A Christmas Carol that I think is flawless! :) I love everything about the original. Nonetheless, remixes of favorite movies are always fun, too.

I'm glad you uploaded this. I look forward to watching it!

TomH1138 said:
Ironically, Dwight, you've picked the only version of A Christmas Carol that I think is flawless! :) I love everything about the original.

I consider it an almost perfect adaptation in the sense that what comes from the book, which is most of it, is absolutely spot-on. Not only the text but the spirit, the feeling and atmosphere, almost all of the casting and performances (with the exception of Tiny Tim) are about exactly what and how they're supposed to be. However, the filmmakers felt the need to add a whole string of invented scenes that, while not bad in themselves, are so superfluous that they work against the movie and make it be worse than the sum of its parts, always in my opinion of course. In fact the character of Mr. Jorkin seems to be there just to get actor Jack Warner in the movie, as he was apparently a big box office draw in the UK back then and was loaned from another company specially for this. Not just stunt casting but stunt writing as well.

Thanks a lot for the kind review, Q2! May I ask what the black frame is that you refer to?

Dwight Fry said:
Thanks a lot for the kind review, Q2! May I ask what the black frame is that you refer to?

It's was around the 10 min mark of the AVI version. He was walking from one room to another.

Q2 said:
It's was around the 10 min mark of the AVI version. He was walking from one room to another.

I did not cut anything from there, it's like that in the original copy I worked from. But you are right, there *is* a black frame there. Well spotted! I had to load the video into VDubMod and go frame by frame to see it. I'll look into correcting it.

Back
Top Bottom