• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lincoln

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
saw this yesterday with some friends. Really enjoyed it. Daniel Day Lewis' performance was impressive. The only thing that didn't seem to totally work for me was the rushed ending.

They tacked on the death of Lincoln at the very end, and it seemed rushed and added compared to the rest of the film. Personally I would have ended it right before that when Lincoln is walking out of the white house at night.

At any rate, I highly recommend this.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeh, saw this a week after it came out. Speilberg has certainly done it again. What I really love about this movie is the great quality of character development in the film. The movie never rushes, except the ending. There is plenty of dialogue, enough so that instead of bringing emotions across the dialogue, it brings the emotions over the overall tone of the dialogue. I can easily put this as the best film I've seen this year, which I'm sure will be right up there with Unexpected Journey and Les Mis.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, saw this a couple of weeks ago. Amazing film.

About the ending, totally agree with you Throw. Literally my only qualm with the film. I remember whilst sitting in the theater, when Lincoln is walking away, I was thinking: "well, this is the end." But then it wasn't. It didn't feel right.

Honestly, though, superb. My favorite Spielberg film since Saving Private Ryan, and easily one of my top pictures this year.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved the film too - but with regards to the ending...

my issue was not with the way the assassination was handled (that was quite tasteful imo) so much as the extremely cheesy visual of having Lincoln literally appear in the candle flame, before transitioning to one of his speeches. We get it, his light lives on. After so much of the film was handled with restraint, this seemed very out of place - it was an odd visual effect to tack on at the very end.
Despite this small gripe, I really thought this film was brilliant. Great character actors performing at the top of their game, and ably (ha) led by probably the best actor alive in Daniel Day Lewis. As good as Liam Neeson can sometimes be, it's hard to imagine the film would have been as engrossing without DDL in the lead role.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if WarHorseSucked has seen this movie yet.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
I loved the film too - but with regards to the ending...

my issue was not with the way the assassination was handled (that was quite tasteful imo) so much as the extremely cheesy visual of having Lincoln literally appear in the candle flame, before transitioning to one of his speeches. We get it, his light lives on. After so much of the film was handled with restraint, this seemed very out of place - it was an odd visual effect to tack on at the very end.

my thoughts:

I also thought it was tasteful, but it threw the pacing way off, IMO. And it seemed unnecessary to the story - while this was a biopic, it entirely focused on passage of the 13th amendment. And while you can certainly link the events, it didn't seem necessary to the story.

I agree the candle light was cheesy. My wife and I laughed at that bit.

njvc said:
s good as Liam Neeson can sometimes be, it's hard to imagine the film would have been as engrossing without DDL in the lead role.

I am so glad that Neeson backed out. I just can't see him being anywhere near as effective as Day Lewis

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Agreed. A very good movie on its own terms, made into an instant classic by DDL's performance. He is Lincoln, period. It's the next best thing to a time machine. I really hope the dvd comes with a scene of him performing the Gettysburg Address in full; it'd be a crime if, during this whole production, he never performed it for posterity.

The ending worked fairly well for me, and I appreciated the big fake-out, though it probably would have been better to fade out on his long walk. What didn't work for me was the first dialogue scene, which felt hokey and contrived, with a thuddingly obvious "look, it's the Lincoln from the memorial statue come to life!" wax museum feel. Happily, things got and stayed better from there.

... And James Spader was clearly playing Alan Shore's great-grandfather. :lol:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this that movie about the vampire hunter?

:p

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Is this that movie about the vampire hunter?

close. but not quite. This is the one we are talking about:

376597182b6953bf0818c5d97665aedf.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Consider my boner confused.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're all wrong! It's an adaptation of the famous Beatrice Gormley teenlit book:

n334721.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Spoiler tags, dude!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The movie's been out for several weeks. If you haven't seen it yet and learned the ending, it's your own darn headache. :p

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But not everyone has read that book yet.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ No, but the redhead "loses it" to Booth.

WHOOPS, SPOILE- :oops:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice! it seemed like an obvious issue to an overall spectacular film.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
You're all wrong! It's an adaptation of the famous Beatrice Gormley teenlit book:

n334721.jpg

Looks like another court case to me. What with Apple suing that Polish grocery store and that German cafe for using apples in their logos last year.

Top Bottom