• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Advice on moving from 32bit to 64 bit setup

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In 2013 I'll be leaving Windows XP behind and moving to 64 bit Windows 7 or 8 on a new desktop PC.

I'm a Premiere CS3 and After Effects user, and I've been using Avisynth for serving all files to my Premiere timelines. Other supporting apps I use include Virtualdub, DGIndex, DGAVCIndex, etc.

This will be a big change, so I wondered if any 64 bit Premiere users (CS5 or CS6) can give me tips regarding:

1) A stable, high performance combo of motherboard, CPU and video card
2) The extra RAM above 4GB that 64 bit allows - is it worth it?
3) Avisynth 64 bit - it it good, or is it time leave frameserving behind and just import DVD and Bluray sources straight into my timeline?

I'm technically minded I suppose, but not THAT technical, so please keep that in mind.

Thankyou! :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
In 2013 I'll be leaving Windows XP behind and moving to 64 bit Windows 7 or 8 on a new desktop PC.

First, congratulations on leaving XP behind. Considering the OS is over 10 years old it's a good time to upgrade! It sounds like you'll be building your own system so have you decided on your OS? Windows 7 or 8? There are pros and cons for each, so if you haven't decided on this let me know and I can give you some advice.

I wondered if any 64 bit Premiere users (CS5 or CS6) can give me tips regarding:

1) A stable, high performance combo of motherboard, CPU and video card

It all depends on cost and if you do anything else with your PC besides video edit. Are you a gamer? If so you'll want a slightly higher-end card to help out with that.

For CPU Intel is where it's at for power. AMD has been floundering the last couple years and have been sticking to budget CPU's. I recommend Intel Core-i5 3570 (or 3570k if you plan on overclocking). Depending on sales it ranges from $180 - $220. If you think you'll want multi-threading (and you may if you use AE extensively) then go with the Core-i7 version of this CPU (3770 and 3770k). This is the latest CPU model from Intel called Ivy Bridge. If you don't need the latest and greatest you could save a few bucks by going with last years Sandy Bridge model.

For motherboard anything from Gigabyte, ASRock or ASUS are good. I've used all. Right now I'm running the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. On sale this can be gotten for $105 - 125.

There are "certified" video cards for Premiere that allow for the GPU to help render. Don't be fooled by the certification because you will be forking over extra cash for these. You can hack a Premiere file very easily (it's a text file) that will allow you to add virtually any graphics card to be certified. I use the nVidia GTX 560 Ti.

2) The extra RAM above 4GB that 64 bit allows - is it worth it?

Yes. I'd recommend 8. You can get memory pretty cheap so there's no reason not to spring for a little extra.

3) Avisynth 64 bit - it it good, or is it time leave frameserving behind and just import DVD and Bluray sources straight into my timeline?

With CS6 you can import M2TS files directly onto the timeline so don't worry about AVISynth anymore, that is unless you want to waste extra time transcoding. :)

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm doing a similar thing and a friend offered me two 120gig solid state drives. I was wondering if anyone has used solid state AND are these 120gig drives going to be big enough for editing video OR should I get a bigger one or bigger ones? Thanks for starting this thread, spicediver!http://www.fanedit.org/forums/member.php?5815-spicediver

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:
I'm doing a similar thing and a friend offered me two 120gig solid state drives. I was wondering if anyone has used solid state AND are these 120gig drives going to be big enough for editing video OR should I get a bigger one or bigger ones? Thanks for starting this thread, spicediver!

I have my OS and software installed on a 90GB SSD. I don't store any data on this drive really. 120GB seems light on size for HD editing, but might be just fine for a SD project. I definitely think that using a SSD drive for your OS is worth the cost.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:
I'm doing a similar thing and a friend offered me two 120gig solid state drives. I was wondering if anyone has used solid state AND are these 120gig drives going to be big enough for editing video OR should I get a bigger one or bigger ones? Thanks for starting this thread, spicediver!

Don't waste an SSD as a media drive. It serves no purpose as rendering is either done by CPU or GPU. Even a standard 7200 mechanical drive is more than fast enough for HD playback. SSD is best used as an OS boot drive and/or program launch drive. That's where you'll see the speed boost.

120GB is good as an OS drive (approx. 30GB) with room to spare for programs. If you can afford a slight bump go with 256GB though. But with 2 120GB I guess that would work just as well. What I would recommend in this instance is have OS on one drive, and install all your programs on the other.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Also, don't assume that your data is safe on an SSD. I've seen more than a few fail.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had an SSD fail yet. And the newer ones are pretty solid.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my machine is about 2 years old now, and my 90GB SSD has been running like a champ. I also think that 120GB is more than enough for the OS and software. I have a lot of heavy hitting software on my machine for work (including Adobe Creative Suite and ArcGIS) and I have some room to spare with the 90GB.

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the responses all.

Yep, a small solid state drive will be my Windows and Program App drive. Everything else will stay on my 7200rpm WD Black hard drives.

Q2, in answer to a couple of your points:

1. There will be no gaming. Its a PC for video editing plus general purpose uses. Does that change any of your recommendations? I find that with graphics cards, most discussion and comparisons online are about gaming performance. Its hard to extrapolate from these discussions what's relevant for great video editing and encoding performance.

2. Re. choice of Windows versions. I only have Windows 7 on a work notebook, so I have no idea about the pros/cons of 64 bit Windows 7 versus Windows 8 for video editing. All I know is that Windows 7's file permissions issues and overzealous security features piss me off no end.

SD

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
1. There will be no gaming. Its a PC for video editing plus general purpose uses. Does that change any of your recommendations? I find that with graphics cards, most discussion and comparisons online are about gaming performance. Its hard to extrapolate from these discussions what's relevant for great video editing and encoding performance.

Not really. The 560 Ti is a great card and not top of the line so you can get it for a pretty reasonable price.

2. Re. choice of Windows versions. I only have Windows 7 on a work notebook, so I have no idea about the pros/cons of 64 bit Windows 7 versus Windows 8 for video editing. All I know is that Windows 7's file permissions issues and overzealous security features piss me off no end.

Windows 8 is a great OS regardless of the negativity towards it. It boots and shuts down faster, it is less resource intensive and is a very secure OS. Windows 8 handles copying of files better than Windows 7. Also, if using SSD, Windows 8 has been optimized for it. The biggest issue is Metro UI and the lack of a start button, but neither should be a deal breaker as there are free or very cheap workaround.

And be sure to stick with 64-bit. No reason for 32-bit on a modern OS.

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How does Windows 8 run the various 32 bit apps that are popular with faneditors such as VirtualdubMod, Staxrip,etc. Because I'd still like to be able to use AviSynth scripts for post-editing mastering and encoding.

Q2 said:
You shouldn't have any problems at all. 32-bit programs should run fine on a 64-bit system.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^
Fricka fraka. That was suppose to be a reply, not an edit. My bad.

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
You shouldn't have any problems at all. 32-bit programs should run fine on a 64-bit system.

Thanks again Q2.

Another question: has anyone here had experience with 32bit versions of Adobe Suite on a 64bit Windows 7 or 8? It's an option for me. Curious if it's viable.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
Thanks again Q2.

Another question: has anyone here had experience with 32bit versions of Adobe Suite on a 64bit Windows 7 or 8? It's an option for me. Curious if it's viable.

not all the apps in the Adobe Suite are 64bit, IIRC. I have run both on my 64bit machines with no problems.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Again, 32-bit apps should have no problem running in Windows 64-bit. It's the other way around that doesn't work.

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay well here's my proposed component list for my upgrade for about $2k:

Intel Core i7 3770K/3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA1155 Ivy Bridge
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 SABERTOOTH Z77.Z77 4xDDR3 3xPCI-E16 GBL SATA3 USB3.0 RAID eSATA DSP HDMI
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM Memory for for 2nd and 3rd ge
Corsair 120GB Force GT Series 3 SSD
ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5 2GB GDDR5, 1502MHz, 2DVI, HDMI, DP, PCI3.0
Asus VE248H 24"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI Speaker
Liteon IHBS312(BLACK) BLURAY BURNER/12X BDWRITE/16XDVDRW/48XCDRW
CoolerMaster Silencio 650 case with 2x USB3.0, SDCard Audio
CoolerMaster 800W Silent Pro Gold

1. The video card has done well in specific performance tests for Adobe Premiere CS5 and CS6 using the CUDA enhancements. This particular model card is the sweet spot of price versus performance.
2. The SSD will be the Windows drive only. I'm adding my own existing WD hard drives to the setup.
3. I'm hoping this 24cm x 30cm motherboard fits the ATX mid-size case. A nightmare trying to work that out and I really don't want a full size tower - they're too deep at an average 60 cm!

Comments?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like a sweet setup. Nice!

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is done.