• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The 50,000 Movie Challenge

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you've ever watched a movie all the way through the end credits you've more than likely seen the MPAA logo with a number associated to it.

Example:
MPAA_certificate.jpg

This number, which is sometimes called a "certificate no." or an "approved no.", indicates the order in which the film was approved by the MPAA. Although in the early days it was the "PCA" (Production Code of America), and later the "MPPDA" (Motion Picture Producer's and Distributors of America) who decided if a film was approved or not.

Now as you all may know after my little stint with the IFDB, I'm a little OCD. :lol: I'm also kind of anal and I like to keep lists of movies that I've watched, books that I've reads. You know, that sort of thing. About a decade ago or so ago I decided to start keeping track of these numbers. Why? I have no idea. After a while though I'd wonder to myself why the hell I was doing it. What was the point? And I'd just end up tossing my list. Then after some time I'd decide to start up again and wish I hadn't tossed that list. And the cycle would repeat.

About a few weeks ago I threw out about 5-6 handwritten pages, double sided, with these numbers and corresponding titles to which they belonged. Now I've decided to start up again and wished I hadn't thrown out my list. :lol: This time around though I've decided to give myself a little incentive, and a challenge, to keep my list going.

What's the challenge? Well, not only am I going to compile a list of the near 48,000 titles that have been approved so far, the highest number I could find was 47,950, but I am also going to watch every single title on that list. You read right. I am going to use that list as a checklist of films to watch, and I am going to try and get through it. :lol: Luckily for me I watch around 500 movies a year, and I'm sure I've already seen countless thousands from the list already, so I'll be able to check off quite a few right from the start. Unfortunately this means that I'm going to have to sit through films for which I was hoping never, ever, to see. Yep, that means I'm going to have to watch the Twilight movies, that Justin Bieber movie, the Hannah Montana concert movie, etc. I'll just save those for last. :lol:

So, in conclusion, yes, I am insane. :lol:

If anyone is interested here's my checklist of films seen so far. I'll try and update it at least once a week.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxos_HwWGb9eVmx6RUJVMTQ5ZWs&usp=sharing

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well good luck with this goal of yours!

Frantic Canadian said:
Unfortunately this means that I'm going to have to sit through films for which I was hoping never, ever, to see. Yep, that means I'm going to have to watch the Twilight movies, that Justin Bieber movie, the Hannah Montana concert movie, etc. I'll just save those for last. :lol:
Those are nothing. But when you come along this:
FGF.jpg

May God be with you...

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
FGF.jpg

May God be with you...

k67040_Kill_it_with_fire_Titles_on_Posts_are_Soooo_Mainstream-s256x192-162844-580.gif

seriously, that has to be the worst movie I have ever seen. I wanted to kill puppies (ALL THE PUPPIES) after seeing it.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
30.jpg

Dude... not a good idea. Just not. ;-)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would take you well over nine years to do this even if you could somehow do the films back-to-back with no breaks whatsoever. So can you imagine how long it will take to do it within the confines of a real life? Good luck!

Prediction: Frantic gives up in six months. ;)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Not to mention the vast numbers of these films that are surely commercially unavailable. :oops:

How's this for a more constructive alternative: make a log of one-sentence reviews plus a grade for every movie you've ever seen, revisiting each entry any time you rewatch that movie. Be sure to add the year of most recent viewing in parentheses for contextual perspective. Example:

Shoot the Piano Player ('60): Gripping, sometimes zany and hugely memorable French noir; A ('10)

.... This is what I do.(I'm on the seventh page of a word document, though I know there's a good deal I've seen long ago but haven't yet logged.) And if it's good enough for me... :wink:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'll watch football today instead.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
FGF.jpg

May God be with you...

Pfft. :lol: I saw that movie a decade ago. Tom Green is from my hometown. I used to watch his public access show with a buddy of mine all the time. Said buddy was a huge fan of Tom Green and got Freddy Got Fingered as soon as it came out.

Uncanny Antman said:
It would take you well over nine years to do this even if you could somehow do the films back-to-back with no breaks whatsoever. So can you imagine how long it will take to do it within the confines of a real life? Good luck!

Nobody said it wouldn't take time, although I don't think it would take nine years. And I'm not going to watch every single movie on this list, especially not in order. For the ones I've already seen I'll just check them off the list. After all, the goal is to see every movie on the list. If I've already seen it that's just one less to have to watch.

Uncanny Antman said:
Prediction: Frantic gives up in six months. ;)

We'll see. ;) I'll be sure to keep this thread updated.

Gaith said:
^ Not to mention the vast numbers of these films that are surely commercially unavailable. :oops:

That is a possibility I'm afraid. Thankfully though TCM will surely be able to help with a lot of these. Unfortunately though I'm probably going to have trouble with some of the straight-to-VHS movies from the 80's and 90's.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do like Gaith's idea of writing a one sentence review for each.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I do like Gaith's idea of writing a one sentence review for each.

For me it's kinda redundant as I have a pretty good memory when it comes to remembering how I felt about a particular film, and my opinion will rarely change.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, it'd be an interesting way for you to update the thread at least. You know, like

Here are the movies I watched last week:

Messiah of Evil (1973), no. 34,562 [or whatever]. This was incredibly confusing and boring. C-.
Martyrs (2008), no. whatever. A lot of people said this was brutal but I thought it was funny. B+.
Breakfast with Scot (2007), no. whatever. I cried my eyes out all throughout. A.

Etc.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Yes, that would be pretty cool. T'would benefit the whole community. And maybe, putting your thoughts down, will help to keep your brain from exploding.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
^Yes, that would be pretty cool. T'would benefit the whole community. And maybe, putting your thoughts down, will help to keep your brain from exploding.

+6

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So your movie viewing guide will be one established by an association potentially hostile to fanedits and which has been known to support the most threatening law projects against online freedom of speech?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh hai Sgt. Buzzkill!

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And I thought the menace was ridiculous...wow, you're on a whole new level man. :loco:

But seriously, that is cool that you're going to do that. The weirdest thing is that the movies rated vary so much in genre and quality. The movies would stretch everywhere from The Care Bears Movie to The Human Centipede.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
FC is invincible. He can't be kilt.

Fuckin' A! :-D

Dwight Fry said:
So your movie viewing guide will be one established by an association potentially hostile to fanedits and which has been known to support the most threatening law projects against online freedom of speech?

So I take it you only watch foreign and independent films? ;)

emanswfan said:
And I thought the menace was ridiculous...wow, you're on a whole new level man. :loco:

Yeah, I'm on a whole 'noter level of crazy. :lol: But if you're going to be crazy might as well be entertained. :D

emanswfan said:
But seriously, that is cool that you're going to do that. The weirdest thing is that the movies rated vary so much in genre and quality. The movies would stretch everywhere from The Care Bears Movie to The Human Centipede.

It's a good thing I enjoy films of all genres then. ;-) BTW, I've seen both of those movies.

And for Neg and Gaith here's my one sentence review for "Wild Things", which I wrote after seeing it on opening night (March 20th, 1998).

Wild Things opened today. Saw it, very good, very sexy, very confusing.

Okay, so technically two sentences, but whatever.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Wild Things opened today. Saw it, very good, very sexy, very confusing.

Okay, so technically two sentences, but whatever.

technically, that is one sentence, and multiple fragments :p

Top Bottom