• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rome: Decimated

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rome_front.jpg

Fanedit Title: Rome: Decimated
Faneditor Name: Brumous
Original Movie Title: Rome
Genre: Action; Drama; Historical
Fanedit Type: TV-to-Movie

Original Release Date:
Original Running Time: 619
Fanedit Release Date: November 2012
Fanedit Running Time (Min): 234
Time Cut (Min): 387
Time Added (Min): 2

Brief Synopsis:

Rome: Decimated condenses season 1 of Rome to focus on a few core story lines, trim episodic digressions, and make a fanedit paced and structured like a movie. The story focuses on two soldiers, Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus, and their general, Julius Caesar.

Intention:
The 2005 HBO series Rome deserves all the critical praise it has received. It shows the ancient Roman world in a fresh way, with as much authentic detail as possible. The plotline is also innovative. The series covers the fall of the Roman republic and the rise of the empire, which is familiar from other Hollywood movies. But in addition to the generals and senators, it tells the stories of middle and lower class people, slaves, women, and soldiers. Throw in the usual HBO sex, violence, and astronomical production values, and you get some classic video.

Rome: Decimated focuses on Titus Pullo, a cheerful, impulsive foot-soldier in the Roman army. He’s my favorite character and the heart of the series, really. And it has some of the story of his commanding officer Lucius Vorenus, a middle-class, moralistic prig, and some of the war between Julius Caesar and the Senate, which everyone is caught up in.

One of the commentary tracks on the commercial DVD says the conceit of the series is Pullo and Vorenus go through Roman history like Forrest Gump. They’re always in the right place at the right time to change the course of history. This fanedit rolls that gimmick back, to make the plot more serious and less dependent on wild coincidence.

As great as it is, the original series has a lot of soap opera, and Rome: Decimated aims to scrub a lot of that out. The romantic intrigue, marriages, affairs, etc are trimmed. Gratuitous sex and torture scenes are cut. Many of the major characters in the series are reduced to bit parts. There’s also many scenes that are very on the nose, as if the producers are shouting “see how weird and cruel and pagan the people were in ancient times!” Material like that can be a lot more subtle and folded into the background.

Cuts and Additions:
Cut Pullo and Vorenus’s adventures in the Mediterranean Sea and Greece
Cut the Egypt episode
Cut the subplot about Pullo and the Republic’s gold
Cut Pullo’s first contract killing
Trimmed Pullo’s trial
Trimmed Vorenus’s home life, marital and financial problems, and his various jobs as an ex-soldier
Replaced Vorenus’s final scene with the season 2 version
Cut Caesar’s romantic liaisons and home life
Cut the storylines of Atia, Timon, Octavia and Servilia
Cut Antony’s romance
Trimmed the storylines of Pompey and the Senate leaders
Added season 2 battle scenes for the battle with Pompey’s army
Cut or trimmed various scenes of religious and governmental procedures
Cut some Senate sessions
Cut stage performances and some newsreader announcements
Added some subtitles to tell where scenes are happening
Customized the start and end credits
Release Information
NTSC DVD-5

Special Features
Scene selections, trailer, map gallery. Two disks.

Additional Notes:
Presented in two parts, on two NTSC DVD5 disks, in standard definition widescreen and 5.1 surround sound.

Other Sources:
Rome Season 2

Cover Art
rome_3Dview.jpg

Download Cover Art

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on finishing! This looks really awesome. :)

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Dwight! And thanks to the admins for getting these fanedit profiles posted so quick. You guys are great.

gimp575

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Desperately want to watch this!

I was a massive fan of Rome. Currently enjoying Ray Stevenson in Dexter.

Unfortunately, I don't understand how to use usenet, always seemed a lot more complicated than torrents or dlc files.

Oh well, I shall have to hope it turns up elsewhere.

Great work!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gimp575 said:
Unfortunately, I don't understand how to use usenet, always seemed a lot more complicated than torrents or dlc files.

I think you're right about that. The program Grabit is pretty easy for downloading, and it will help a lot if you pay a Usenet provider for a Usenet account.

More fan trivia: Ray Stevenson plays Volstaag in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

Graham McTavish, who plays Dwalin in The Hobbit, appears in Rome: Decimated. See if you can spot him.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ray Stevenson is awesome. He's also the only actor to do The Punisher justice. He owns the role IMO.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is uploaded now to a file locker and the DLC is submitted to info. Wait till it's posted on info, or send me a PM for details.

Happy turkey day dinner dreams.
pumpkin-pie-1.png

citizenryan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rome is a tragically underappreciated show. Gratz on tackling this subject.

Do you have plans for addressing season 2? The show lost a lot of steam in that season. It tried to cover too much material. It would certainly benefit from a similiar kind of edit.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
citizenryan said:
Do you have plans for addressing season 2? The show lost a lot of steam in that season. It tried to cover too much material. It would certainly benefit from a similiar kind of edit.

I am not planning on a season 2 edit, but if I did I would condense the first four episodes. That was the part that was enthralling.

just to finish up the Vorenus story arc to the point where he marches his children out of the slaveholding quarry.

But did you catch Kerr's idea for an edit that focuses on Brutus, with 2/3 coming from season 2? I'll be looking forward to that one. Kerr did the Lord of the Rings book edit series, one of my favorite fanedits.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
This is uploaded now to a file locker and the DLC is submitted to info. Wait till it's posted on info, or send me a PM for details.

Found out Rapidshare changed their download policy, so free accounts can only download 1 Gb per day. I tried to pay for a month of premium, but the system won't take my payment. I'm stuck with Usenet as the only distribution way until a better alternative is available. :-(

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the idea, Frink. But Megashares automagically blocks my RARs parts 1 and 2 from uploading. Makes no difference if it's encrypted. So no go. I will keep on looking for a file locker I can use.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, this is the newest chapter in the Neverending Story of getting this fanedit placed online. I've found a file locker I can use. It reminds me of the old Rapidshare, and that means it's slow, balky and limited. It ain't the sleekest car on the block but it gets the job done.

The drill is the same as before. I've submitted the DLC to info, you can wait for it to show up there. Or PM me if you don't want to wait.

gimp575

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was lucky enough to watch this edit. Excellent!
Are there not any torrent trackers that fanedit.com use?

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gimp575 said:
I was lucky enough to watch this edit. Excellent!
Are there not any torrent trackers that fanedit.com use?

Hey that's fantastic gimp575. If someone is entertained, that makes it all worthwhile as far as I'm concerned.

Fanedit.org is totally uninvolved in distributing fanedits. Individual faneditors are responsible for how, when and where their fanedits are distributed. That's the only way we can keep Fanedit.org, this great resource, available to us all.

Top Bottom