• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Robocop

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember back to when I bought The Criterion Edition of Robocop - brand new from amazon.com. I thought it was great. Nothing about the transfer really bothered me except for one thing - the scanlines. Still it's a great transfer (direct off an LD master). Later, the Robocop trilogy was released in R2 - I bought it immediately, as I'd never seen Robocop 2 before. I was disappointed with the quality of the transfer for the first film (not to mention the glitchy branching), but I decided it was still acceptable quality should I ever wish to watch the theatrical cut. Then the R4 was release ... a direct bit-for-bit copy of the R2 with all it's errors, I ignored the release.

The problems with the MGM version is that it's too dark, has too much contrast and lacks fine detail (it's also too blue). On the up-side the scanlines are better then the criterion. On Aug first the "definitive edition" dvd was released, and I've been tossing up whether to purchase it and I eventually decided I would yesterday. One of the main reasons I was hesitant was that MGM is misusing the "definitive edition" title to simply re-package existing releases - eg, X-Men 1.5 becomes X-Men the definitive edition ... Terminator: Special Edition becomes Terminator the definitive edition ... etc. However I did know that Robocop was not a direct port of the original R2/R4 DVD. R1 also got this release (in NTSC and under some different marketing-ploy title courtesy of MGM).

So now my Robocop collection is as thus:

robo.jpg

Now it is true that when Criterion released the LD in 1988 Paul Verhoven did request that it be released "open matte", but this has been taken way out of context by some fans. Just because he was shooting on 1.66:1 stock didn't mean that's the way he intended it in cinemas - far from it. The only reason he released it that way on LD is because it was a home video format, and wanted it to fill up the TV screen better - it's no more "director preferred" then pan&scan, even if it was approved. It's the same as Lucas release his SW trilogy in P&S in the US - it's no use importing because it's not the director preferred version, he just approved it.

006r0.jpg

006r2.jpg

006r4d2.jpg

DE Disc1

The "definitive edition" anamorphic-PAL has about 45% more resolution then the Criterion's non-anamorphic NTC. The above screenshots (top to bottom - Criterion, original R2/R4, Definitive Edition disc2, DE disc1 link) clearly shows another problem with the criterion transfer - it's over-sharpened.

007r0.jpg

007r2.jpg

007r4d1.jpg

DE Disc1

This screenshot clearly shows the criterion disc having the best overall brightness level.

003r0.jpg

003r2.jpg

003r4d1.jpg

DE Disc1

This screenshot highlights the problem the criterion disc has handling the scanlines (this is one of the better scenes they look much more uneven in others). They look a little too deep on the original R2/R4, and here the Definitive Edition clearly shows a superior picture. This screenshot also illustrates differences in the framing between the three versions.

004r0.jpg

004r2.jpg

004r4d1.jpg

DE Disc1

This screenshot highlights the differences in detail. All three show similar detail, but the criterion is much more grainy.

001r0.jpg

001r2.jpg

001r4d1.jpg

DE Disc1

This screenshot highlights the problems of all three transfers. The criterion is over-sharpened, and not all the hues are even. The original R2/R4 is just plain bad - too dark and too blue. The DE shows a clear image, and is vastly superior to both the other, but is just a little dull and soft. Notice also that both the Criterion and the original R2/R4 have a black-boarder completely around the image, and this is not the case with the DE transfer.

002r0.jpg

002r2.jpg

002r4d1.jpg

DE Disc1

the image shows the DE handling the colour-levels better then either of the others, as well as having better contrast to the original R2/R4 (but the blacks aren't quite as deep as they could be).

005r0.jpg

005r2.jpg

005r4d1.jpg

DE Disc1

The Criterion again has the better black-level, and again the original R2/R4 is too dark, and too blue. The DE highlights it's trouble with showing the skin-tones being too-pink.

Conclusions:

I am far happier with the DE then I ever was with the original MGM-label trash. It's not perfect, but for the most part it's consistent. One would think in 2007 MGM could pull their fingers out and deliver a presentation far superior to Criterion's effort which predates this release by 19 years.

Some SW fans have complained about the fact that Lucas used a 1993 LD-master to release the theatrical cuts, but Robocop fans are treated to modern-transfers that barely-rival a 1988 LD-master. I think at least if you do want to watch the movie in anamorphic widescreen, well it's the best version available thus far. But if you prefer to open-matte version (which actually has better framing in many scenes), well the anamorphic versions do not have much to offer. If you like the theatrical version, then the DE is the one for you.

I have the CC and MGM Trilogy, and have ordered the new one (Labeled the 20th Anniversary Edition here in the US). I always go back to the CC.

Looking at these screencaps, I like the CC in every single instance better than both anamorphic discs. 'Over-sharp'? I disagree with that, the others look downright soft to me. The framing is better, which is a clincher for me. Sure there's less grain in the newer ones, but that's just a byproduct of them 'blurring' it up to hide it. I think when I get my 20th DVD I will still keep coming back to the Criterion. Although I have a 16x9 TV, I use the zoom on my DVD player to zoom in, giving me only a little bit of window-boxing, but mainly fitting the image pretty well. And with no overscan. I wish I could disable that on my TV.

PS: I am not even one of those CC freaks that loves everything they do, but in the case of Robocop...man did they get the transfer right.

beckmen said:
PS: I am not even one of those CC freaks that loves everything they do, but in the case of Robocop...man did they get the transfer right.
It's just too bad they "got it right" in 1988... one thinks they or MGM) could do significantly better today.
beckmen said:
Looking at these screencaps, I like the CC in every single instance better than both anamorphic discs. 'Over-sharp'? I disagree with that, the others look downright soft to me.
Yes, it reminds me of Stargate: Special Edition which I got rid of in favour of the Ultimate Edition. It may look soft in the screenshots, but it does look good in motion, which is what to go on ? I think I agree though that the Criterion is still best overall ? I mean it has a very well balanced black level/contrast/colour, even if it is only 69% of the anamorphic resolution.
beckmen said:
The framing is better, which is a clincher for me.
well, there is no framing it's just the original stock's 1.66:1. For the most part I think they're pretty equal, there's nothing overly special about either.
beckmen said:
Sure there's less grain in the newer ones, but that's just a byproduct of them 'blurring' it up to hide it.
Yeah, unfortunately both MGM's are a little too soft, the first MGM release being slightly softer then the current one.
beckmen said:
I think when I get my 20th DVD I will still keep coming back to the Criterion. Although I have a 16x9 TV, I use the zoom on my DVD player to zoom in, giving me only a little bit of window-boxing, but mainly fitting the image pretty well.
I'll be sticking to Criterion as well, unless of course I want to watch the theatrical.

I watched this movie last night for the first time since I was a kid. Man, what a blast from the past. The stop motion ED robot is hilarious. The surprising amount of gore and over the top acting great as well. The interesting thing about this movie is that despite lots of cheese when watching it now, there still are some moments with the script and the directing that really shine. The 1st person scene of Murphy dying and booting up for the first time is very well done.

The thing that most caught my attention as very odd but interesting was how the script really didn't have Robocop as the central character IMO. It really felt to me like Robocop was more of a supporting character. The central story seemed to be about these two competing business execs at OCP.

geminigod said:
I watched this movie last night for the first time since I was a kid. Man, what a blast from the past.

Bit like this thread and it's starter!

geminigod said:
The thing that most caught my attention as very odd but interesting was how the script really didn't have Robocop as the central character IMO. It really felt to me like Robocop was more of a supporting character. The central story seemed to be about these two competing business execs at OCP.

Man oh man does that quote make me want to finish and release robocop 2.
I feel the same way - even moreso about 2 - the cyborgs take a backseat to the dealings between OCP and Detroit's Mayor.

also, I sold my CC dvd of robo years ago simply because it was letterboxed and I cant effing stand that added "stretch" my TV imposed. even w/ a zoom in i thought it looked like crap. It also fetched a pretty penny on amazon. I've been happy w/ the MGM and DE dvd's for a while though I cant recommend the Bluray at all as it brings nothing to the table in terms of remastering or improved resolution. IMO its on par w/ total recall as one of the worst looking bluray discs i own.

elbarto1 said:
IMO its on par w/ total recall as one of the worst looking bluray discs i own.

Worse/better than The Abyss?

ThrowgnCpr said:
lol. daniel.

Thems were the days :)

There was nothing to write home about as far as remastering work goes. Audio is nothing special. Video looks bad during the news scenes, but looks decent during rest of the scenes. I suspect that was done intentionally... But hell, I bought it for $7.88. It could look better but there are no aspect ratio problems and it looks better than I have ever seen it.

nothing is worse than The Abyss.
every transfer of that film [including the R6 Anamorphic one] is awful.
may as well be a compressed xvid FFS.

[video=youtube_share;u5HOt0ZOcYk]

awesome :)

Interesting! I'm glad I held off on that old blu-ray after all the negative buzz. If this is the uncut version and the 1.66:1 director's aspect ratio, I'm in.

Awesome news bout the new blu-ray. I am looking forward a bit to the remake. Mostly cause I'm interested in seeing where they go with the story. The trailers look fairly decent to me.

matrixgrindhouse said:
Interesting! I'm glad I held off on that old blu-ray after all the negative buzz. If this is the uncut version and the 1.66:1 director's aspect ratio, I'm in.

All released information points to this being a 4K restoration of the uncut 1.66:1 version.

So glad I never caved and bought any of the inferior post-Criterion releases.

Unfortunately, I did. My only copy is that 1.85:1 version that came with the other two movies. I considered double dipping for the Criterion.... but this is proof that patience and/or stinginess is wroth it in the end!

Adabisi said:

Fascinating. I was at least subconsciously aware of some of those similarities at both extremes, but the pattern is rather remarkable.

In other news, that recent Blu-Ray is outstanding. A very bright, clean (but not DNR'd) transfer. It's the 1.85:1 theatrical ratio as opposed to the director's preferred 1.66:1 Criterion version, but I can live with that. It's the longer uncut version at least.

Back
Top Bottom