• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IFDB Review: Judge Dredd: Redemption:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Judge Dredd is a movie I almost enjoy. Yes, it's just as bad as its reputation suggests. Yet I can't help but love the way it looks, that typically 90s flavor in the sets and props from back when it was all built and you can tell it's physically there, CGI being reduced to an absolute minimum. How I miss those days. I can enjoy garbage from back then better than objectively better movies from today in which even the toilet paper is CGI. Heck, I could even forgive the atrocious acting and stupid script of this one, if I'm in the mood for some mindless action fun of the Stallone brand. I don't even much care if he removes his helmet or kisses the girl at the end. Heck, him removing his helmet is completely irrelevant. This is Stallone. A superstar. Everyone knows how he looks like! So why "almost"? The goddamn "comic relief" (relief from what, exactly?) Not only Rob Schneider but his character's very existence. As is the case with so many less than great movies, everything's funny except for the comedy. And disgracefully, he's in there almost all the time, so he can't be completely removed from it. Which, in my opinion, renders the movie fanedit-proof. Still, Juice's version improves things a lot by removing lots and lots of the worst Schneider moments. And he does so wisely, by leaving in enough of them to give the guy a reason to exist. Having him in the background all the time but completely silent would have screamed "edited!" and made matters considerably worse. So, it's a very smartly done fanedit. But, one that merely improves on the original, yet doesn't save it. Dredd carries this flesh-and-bone-Jar-Jar around all the time like dead weight for no apparent reason, and dead weight he is for the movie. Nothing that Juice, or anyone else, could do about it really. I didn't miss anything that was cut, and I particularly enjoy how this version gets us right into the action, without the extensive presentation of Schneider. I feel that some more bad one-liners could have been cut. Not all of them, of course, but even in a bad Stallone or Schwarzenegger action movie one has to know how many of these lines are needed, and when. The likes of "Judge Bitch" are too much, IMO. Editing was overall well done, except for a hard cut in the music at 1:01:16, in between the speeder bike chase and them arriving in the apartment. Also, I'm afraid I'll be joining other viewers' opinion of the added grain not really working. It's a bit too exaggerated, plus it's permanently static, like if a still image was used to generate it, while real film grain moves all the time. If you like the original, you'll probably like this one better. I know I did, and for what it is, it's great. Not a bad achievement for an unsalvageable movie!

More...

Top Bottom