• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Megaupload returns.... as Mega (now with encryption!)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A little birdie told me that tons of fanedits are going to be on Usenet very soon.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mega is a bit...iffy. Had one of the links refuse to decrypt. Had to upload again. So, still a few teething problems.
But jDownloader works now with it, so all should be well..... hopefully!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
downloads from mega seem to stall frustratingly often. today, most of the pauses occurred @ 6% or 66%, and upon repeat attempts to download, stalled at the same percentages.

200px-Asmodeus_%28Dungeons_&_Dragons%29.JPG

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah and there's been a lot of "Temporarily Unavailable" errors on files.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Yeah and there's been a lot of "Temporarily Unavailable" errors on files.

I've seen this happen both to me and to others that have tried to download my stuff too. So far (in my limited experience) it has applied to older files.

My theory is that it is due to how MEGA stores their content. They are probably using some sort of "near/offline" storage system that moves older stuff to tape, and thus makes the items unavailable for immediate access. Usually a request for a file like should eventually get it to migrate into "online" storage (e.g., immediately available for download), but it all depends on how they have their system configured (and if it is configured correctly!). The best thing to do is let JDownloader continue to make requests if that is the case, as it might work on a threshold value for how many people want a specific file.

OR, their system is just messed up somehow. ;-)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Old Megaupload had the same problem toward the end.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Files are there, then they're not. Wait an hour and they are back.
I ain't kicking. Hate hate hate RS, and Mega is the only competition that causes RS to relax their maddening policies.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember getting super annoyed with Megaupload toward the end because I would constantly get PMs from noobs and veterans alike stating that links were down even though they would always pop back up in an hour or a day. I have been debating about using Mega, but this news makes me hesitant...

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Veterans ought to know better about active and "sleeping" Mega links.
You are limited with DLC containers, as opposed to an open links post, so you cannot stick a PAY ATTENTION memo to every set.
You could place a Read Me text file inside DLC, but I must confess I never see those until later.
While I have less issues with Mega than others, I doubt there will ever be a host solution.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm finding mega to be unusable. i've successfully DLed only three parts out of a desired 20, and it isn't for lack of trying. most recently, i'll get to 7% downloaded, then mega will throw six legs into the air.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully all faneditors are also uploading to usenet and/or .me so I never have to mess with this!!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Agreed. Although I wish it would work better in FF.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How to deal with MEGA's "Temporarily Unavailable" Message
Note: This is still based on a working theory, but I believe it to be correct based on my experiences which have encountered this issue more than once.

Disclosure: I work in IT so I do know what I'm talking about re: managing very large amounts of data; the below describes a real world data management strategy used in many industries....of course I could be wrong since mega doesn't explain their system, but this is what I think until I see evidence to the contrary.

It is a common strategy when managing huge amounts of data to put less used data onto cheaper storage meant for archival use (meaning not immediately available, such as on tape). If something was moved to tape behind the scenes, you would get a message like mega displays about being temporarily unavailable.

I have found the best way to deal with this is to be using jdownloader, which will automatically keep trying to download the file every 5 minutes (or something like that). If you leave jdownloader running, it will eventually get the file, though it migh take up to two days. Just let it keep running, preferably 24/7 until you get the file.

The reason it might take so long is because mega is probably using an algorithm based on number of requests to decide when to bring back the file you are requesting. It also might be putting it into a queue with other requested files, so you want to keep on requesting it to make sure it doesn't "lose its place" in line.

The way mega chooses which files get sent to tape doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, in that it seems only one or two parts of a rar seem to be affected by this sometimes. But this behavior is nonetheless very consistent with the mechanism I've described. What probably causes it is that when you upload your files they are getting placed on many different drives; mega would want to fill every one of their hard drives to full capacity, so it might put small files onto random hard drives that are almost full. This would explain why only certain parts go missing, since the decision to put something into archival storage might be based on the age or requests for files for the entire hard drive, not just the individual file.

A more consistent example is almost any online banking site. Most let you download your past statements, but if they are old, they will tell you it will take XX time before you can download them once click on the link. That's because it has been moved to archival storage (tape) and has to be restored to online storage (hard drive). I think this is the same thing that causes megas temporarily unavailable message, and the best way to deal with it is to keep on requesting it automatically, using jdownloader.

PS - if someone reports to you that some specific file is temporarily unavailable, you might log onto mega and see it reported as online. That doesn't mean it really is online. (Archival systems use file "stubs" that will initially report the file is online even if it is not. thats so they can keep all files visible to users even if it has been moved to tape behind the scenes.) Try to actually download it yourself and you will probably get a temporarily unavailable.

The best way to get it back online would be to set up jdownloader yourself to keep on asking for the file. In the meantime, re upload the part as a different file (if you can), for which you can then give the link out as a temporary measure until the original gets back online.

B

BioHuntix

Brumous said:
Also if you didn't see this feature about Kim Dotcom, it is epic. Inside the Mansion—and Mind— of Kim Dotcom, the Most Wanted Man on the Net. Most interesting trivia: Kim took his nickname from the character of Richard Kimball, hero of The Fugitive.

Thanks for the link, very interesting read, facinating man. What happened to megaupload and the man seems unjust, in accordance with law that is, morally I'm not sure this man is in such a good standing.

I had to giggle a bit at the part about his back getting messed up first night in jail, very unnatural.

As for Mega, seems like exactly what we need in this day and age, privacy. Still in a gray area though, so I would guess that it's only a matter of time before that thing gets put down as well, could be a long time...

Top Bottom