• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Megaupload returns.... as Mega (now with encryption!)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
I know everyone is doubting, but I think he learned from his experience. The new mega encrypts content BEFORE you upload it, so mega never knows what files are stored. You distribute keys to people who want to download your files. It gives them full immunity, because the government can't claim they know what's going on. They get to stay fully oblivious. I understand it's a business but I still think it'll be worth trying once. He is trying to raise the bar and be the gold filelocker standard. As far as specs and limits go, I think they are onto something.

Looks interesting...

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know I can't stop the inevitable pull toward what is familiar, but it is a mistake IMO. Too much heat. We'd be better off sticking with forcing the culture change toward usenet and other established private methods.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
We'd be better off sticking with forcing the culture change toward usenet and other established private methods.

+1. But I do want to give Mega a chance and see what happens, as an alternative to non-Usenet users.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
Techdirt seems to have run the opposite story. Not sure how I feel about all this. As long as you use a unique password, and a throwaway email, your risk of identity theft should be nill.http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...security-appears-to-be-surprisingly-bad.shtml
Interesting. The article I linked to raises the question of whether or not, despite the security measures, Mega is quite "safe", due to the data policies. This one you linked to raises questions about the security itself. The more I read about Mega, the less I trust it. Who knows, It might be as good as Kim Dotcom makes it sound, but at this point, I don't feel that either Dotcom or Mega have quite earned much trust yet.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I wasn't too worried about security anyway. I would only use it as a file locker for stuff I want to share public ally anyway. Remember to come up with a new password!

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
An update from TorrentFreak http://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-prepares-mega-cash-prize-encryption-challenge-130123/

Bottom line, for security Mega is no worse than the rest of the file locker services, maybe better.

Agreed, sorta. Talking about identity theft is a distraction from the real issue here as it pertains to us, which is that you are fooling yourself if you really think this will be less risky than past file locker services.

1) How trustworthy is Kim Dotcom?

2) How protected are your uploads really? Either its encrypted for your eyes only (assuming the encryption is even any good (big assumption), and assuming that you can trust Mega) or its not. One way or another, when you are sharing files publicly, encryption can only protect you so much.

3) All eyes will be fixated on Mega. Do you want to be in the middle of that? How long before Mega gets at least temporarily shut down again? Kim Dotcom got a temporary reprieve thanks to a New Zealand judge, but he can't leave the country and is still facing the possibility of extradition to the United States where he would be re-tried.

4) Let's say that Kim Dotcom survives the onslaught of his enemies that are growing in number at a staggering pace, and continues to operate Mega in New Zealand indefinitely. What happens then? What might happen is that the governments concerned about copyright infringement such as USA and France might start going after the users instead of the operators. When you can't catch the big fish, go for the little ones.

All of this is to repeat my warning one last time that I have stated on this thread and on the Mediafire thread: Don't put all your eggs in one basket and count on any file locker service to be there for you long-term.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/20/we-interview-kim-dotcom-on-mega/

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this conversation about distributing files or using filelockers as our only backup? I agree that no filelocker should hold the only copy of a file, but why not use it to make distribution easier? If the files goes down, it goes down. Given his trackrecord, your files have a better chance of lasting on mega than mediafire. They had to send in swat teams because he wasn't deleting files (stretching the truth, but you get the point.)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
I agree that no filelocker should hold the only copy of a file, but why not use it to make distribution easier? If the files goes down, it goes down.

You make this sound obvious, but it isn't. Old members of this site such as myself that have used it for years got very comfortable with file lockers and have been resistant to change. Many members also don't have huge hard drives to keep all this stuff saved locally. I have probably wasted weeks of my life this past year screwing around with Megaupload, Mediafire, & other alternatives. My edits were offline for months. Fanedit.org lost a lot of fanedits in 2012 that were never re-uploaded because this wasn't obvious!

Maybe its obvious now, but there continues to be resistance toward safer methods of file sharing, as evidenced by all the excitement about this thread. I want to be sure everyone understands the risks. I don't want the promise of Mega to destroy 6 months of progress in getting away from our dependency on file lockers so that we have to go through this all over again in another 6 months!

Rant complete.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
1) How trustworthy is Kim Dotcom?

<snip>

3) All eyes will be fixated on Mega. Do you want to be in the middle of that? How long before Mega gets at least temporarily shut down again? Kim Dotcom got a temporary reprieve thanks to a New Zealand judge, but he can't leave the country and is still facing the possibility of extradition to the United States where he would be re-tried.

These are the important items to me, and I don't want anything I've uploaded anywhere near that clown. I don't mind reuploading somewhere else if my edit(s) get pulled from Megashares, but I don't want any connection to Mega for real-life concerns.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the way I've decided to do it. I put the lowest quality version (DVD-5) on a file locker. Both RS and MF have proven to be unusable in my opinion, so I'm going to give Mega a go. For the 720p MKV version I'll be using a semi-private tracker. Then, for those that want the beautiful 1080p BD-25 version, that is available on usenet. I really want more people to take advantage of usenet, hence the best quality version goes there (plus, I don't have to worry about re-uploading 25GB).

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Here is the way I've decided to do it. I put the lowest quality version (DVD-5) on a file locker. Both RS and MF have proven to be unusable in my opinion, so I'm going to give Mega a go. For the 720p MKV version I'll be using a semi-private tracker. Then, for those that want the beautiful 1080p BD-25 version, that is available on usenet. I really want more people to take advantage of usenet, hence the best quality version goes there (plus, I don't have to worry about re-uploading 25GB).

Interesting strategy.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
You make this sound obvious, but it isn't. Old members of this site such as myself that have used it for years got very comfortable with file lockers and have been resistant to change. Many members also don't have huge hard drives to keep all this stuff saved locally. I have probably wasted weeks of my life this past year screwing around with Megaupload, Mediafire, & other alternatives. My edits were offline for months. Fanedit.org lost a lot of fanedits in 2012 that were never re-uploaded because this wasn't obvious!

Maybe its obvious now, but there continues to be resistance toward safer methods of file sharing, as evidenced by all the excitement about this thread. I want to be sure everyone understands the risks. I don't want the promise of Mega to destroy 6 months of progress in getting away from our dependency on file lockers so that we have to go through this all over again in another 6 months!

Rant complete.

I think we are agreeing. Usenet should be used as a 3 year archive (1500 day retention) and then mega can be used to reach out to people without usenet. Just because every fanedit needs to be placed on usenet doesnt mean mega wont make a good compliment. I don't think being excited for mega and encouraging usenet use are mutually exclusive.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I really want more people to take advantage of usenet.

I started a subscription with NewsDemon last September and am just hoping that everyone posts their fanedits on Usenet. I'm pretty much done with any other method at the moment. I was an extremely heavy user of Megaupload and am following the story of the new service, but Usenet seems so much better these days and really not that difficult to use.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:
I started a subscription with NewsDemon last September and am just hoping that everyone posts their fanedits on Usenet. I'm pretty much done with any other method at the moment. I was an extremely heavy user of Megaupload and am following the story of the new service, but Usenet seems so much better these days and really not that difficult to use.

I really like usenet. It's fast, more secure, and the retention is great. I'll continue to use a digital locker for the DVD version of my releases, but once they're taken down that's it. The days of me re-posting is over.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I really like usenet. It's fast, more secure, and the retention is great. I'll continue to use a digital locker for the DVD version of my releases, but once they're taken down that's it. The days of me re-posting is over.

^

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:

Hey, you're in luck! I love posting to Usenet. Any fanedit I put up there I put the word Fanedit in the title, so use Binsearch to search Fanedit and you'll see what we've got so far.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Hey, you're in luck! I love posting to Usenet. Any fanedit I put up there I put the word Fanedit in the title, so use Binsearch to search Fanedit and you'll see what we've got so far.

I wish more would get on that though. And the speed is great too.

Top Bottom