If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Megaupload returns.... as Mega (now with encryption!)
http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/k...ga-1109270

Could be good news for distributing fanedits. Megaupload was pretty reliable and left a big hole.
Millions of people are watching this news. This is the first time I've seen an actual date promised - January 19, 2013. This is what the website says now:

Quote:How the new Mega will work

Easy Privacy

In the past, securely storing and transferring confidential information required the installation of dedicated software. The new Mega encrypts and decrypts your data transparently in your browser, on the fly. You hold the keys to what you store in the cloud, not us.

Online Mega Manager

Before, you had to install the Mega Manager on every computer you used Megaupload from. Now, high-speed parallel batch uploading and downloading with resume capability are integral parts of the Mega website.

Live Global Cloud File System

Before, you had to create and update file folders manually. Now, you have a true cloud file system at your fingertips, including cross-account folder sharing for easy online collaboration. You can even access your cloud drive as a file system mount or drive letter!

Multi-centric data warehousing

Before, we operated only a handful of storage nodes located in expensive premium data centers. Now, thanks to encryption, we can connect a large number of hosting partners around the world without worrying about privacy breaches. Our servers will be closer to our customers. This will result in faster data transfers.

Also if you didn't see this feature about Kim Dotcom, it is epic. Inside the Mansion—and Mind— of Kim Dotcom, the Most Wanted Man on the Net. Most interesting trivia: Kim took his nickname from the character of Richard Kimball, hero of The Fugitive.
That's great news. May be hope after MarkMonitor goes into effect.
[SIZE=2][FONT=century gothic]Current fanedits in the works:
[/FONT][/SIZE]SW Prequel Trilogy
The Hunger Games Edit
That Wired article was a fascinating read. Thanks Brumous.
Site launches tomorrow....

[video]http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/megaupload-founder-launch-143138650.html[/video]
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[Image: 18131270.jpg]
You're an adult. Just cope.
[Image: its_a_frap.jpg]
I may be an A-hole, but I'm not 100% a dick - Han Solo
Currently working on: Mad Max: Fury Road (silent edit)
[Image: tumblr_lqjqpeIKJX1qjlxkro1_500.jpg]
C'mon guys, it's been done before.
TV's Frink Wrote:C'mon guys, it's been done before.

I have nothing to add other than to say that your avatar on OT is freaking awesome.