• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Once Upon A Time

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm surprised to see no one else has mentioned this series before, and I find it a really intruiging series. The sheer depth and complexity built into the stories is amazing, along with the great wrtiing, acting, and fx (well, good fx for a TV show). And this certainly has material I wouldn't mind fanedting into movie forms someday. I must say the show has picked up considerably better this second season. It's also probably one of the least predicatble shows I've ever seen.

Anyhow, what does everyone else think?

I watched a couple episodes but found it mediocre. My wife loves it though.

Q2 said:
I watched a couple episodes but found it mediocre. My wife loves it though.
Which episodes? Because the first half to three quarters of season one sucks, because of the painfully slow pacing. Atleast from the storybrooke perspective, the first season would've done far better as one 2-3 hour film. However, just from watching the first three episodes of season two, it felt like the show's characters were far stronger and more complex, as if ABC decided to hire some good writers. In a way, its a different show as all the focus of the first season is completely stripped away.

This is our Family Hour show. It is the one show we all love to watch together as a family, and we all love it for different reasons. My daughter loves the fantasy aspect, my wife the love stories and me, I am a sucker for all of it, the show completely works for me on every entertaining level. Just fun stuff.

I think it is a well produced, written and acted series. It is serialized but gives the audiences lots of payoffs throughout the season, so you never feel like you are wasting your time (ie LOST). It is a fairy tale adventure soap opera which is wonderfully entertaining.

I have been toying with the idea of making a chronological fan edit of Fairy Tales side of the story.

bionicbob said:
I have been toying with the idea of making a chronological fan edit of Fairy Tales side of the story.
That would certainly be an interesting way to view things. What I really would like to see, or do, is an edit made from Regina's perspective.

I watched the season premiere and this year based on recommendations of family and friends, and I was intrigued enough to add it as a season pass, but haven't had a chance to watch the new episodes yet.

While it was well written and very intriguing, and what I liked most was the opportunity for a myriad of interesting possible directions the story could go into, my initial fear was the Lost/BSG potential where they keep doing cool stuff now but have no vision of how to conclude the bigger story arc, but then I realized that unlike any show of this type, this show is set up to succeed because....

It's a FAIRY TALE!.

While they can easily work in some fun twists, having some traditional bad guys turn good and even the other way around, at the end of the day, this will end on a generally happy note, with everything resolved (but with characters ready for new adventures). This will work because we are already to programmed that fairy tales are supposed to end happily ever after, and in general, we know how we want each character to end because no matter who they introduce, we know how they're supposed to end up. The fun will be in the new way they get there.

Hopefully the next few episodes will live up to the expectation, but if this is one of Bob's favorite shows, that's about all the cred I need ;)

L8wrtr said:
I watched the season premiere and this year based on recommendations of family and friends, and I was intrigued enough to add it as a season pass, but haven't had a chance to watch the new episodes yet.

While it was well written and very intriguing, and what I liked most was the opportunity for a myriad of interesting possible directions the story could go into, my initial fear was the Lost/BSG potential where they keep doing cool stuff now but have no vision of how to conclude the bigger story arc, but then I realized that unlike any show of this type, this show is set up to succeed because....

It's a FAIRY TALE!.

While they can easily work in some fun twists, having some traditional bad guys turn good and even the other way around, at the end of the day, this will end on a generally happy note, with everything resolved (but with characters ready for new adventures). This will work because we are already to programmed that fairy tales are supposed to end happily ever after, and in general, we know how we want each character to end because no matter who they introduce, we know how they're supposed to end up. The fun will be in the new way they get there.

Hopefully the next few episodes will live up to the expectation, but if this is one of Bob's favorite shows, that's about all the cred I need ;)
Yes, it is a fairy tale, and in the end, it's happily ever after, but these days moral retribution isn't popular unless there's some pain in it. I don't allways believe stories that end this way allways succeed. Hopefully, the end will be bittersweet.

Looked this show up. Oh snap, created by Kitsis and Horowitz, who wrote some good LOST episodes. Added Season 1 to Netflix Instant queue. Let's see if I actually watch it now.

When season one first started airing last year, my wife and I immediately connected with the show, but due to our hectic schedules, we missed most of the last third of the season. So when it came on dvd in August, I immediately bought it and introduced the show to my daughter. Well to make a long story short, we all became addicted and watched the entire first season in a week.

One thing that really struck me upon rewatching the series back to back with no real interruption, is how well constructed the season was from beginning to end. I have heard claims that the show dipped in quality during the middle episodes, but I strongly disagree. I found it all to be very engaging on a fantasy soap level. Yes, the Snow White framed for murder was a wee bit cliche, but I think the series pulled it off very well.

So far, I am enjoying the new direction of season two, exploring the aftermath of the curse on the Enchanted Forest and the introduction of new fairy tale characters. Mulan rocks!

But I am so curious to find out who Doctor Whale is????

I'm currently watching season one with my girlfriend and while we both enjoy it, I think it could do with some better dialog/humor to become really great. But then again, it's not a Whedon show.

Back
Top Bottom