• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Recommend RAR program?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So up until now, I was using the free trial version of RARMACHINE, but I have used up all my trial versions of both the original and updated versions, and the company has gone out of business so I can not buy the program now... d'oh!

So my fellow Mac Editors, what RAR program would you recommend I switch to?

unrarx?
simplyrar?

The simpler and more straightforward the better for this old man...:D

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you tried iZip?

iZip website said:
iZip is the easiest way to manage ZIP, ZIPX, RAR, TAR, 7ZIP and other compressed files on your Mac. Best of all it's completely free so you can zip, unzip & unrar your files without limitations!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I have looked at most of them.

I was just looking for input from the forum from those who may have actually already used/tried them
and if you recommend one more than another? What is the best one in your opinion??? :)
Or is there one I should most definitely avoid using?

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mean they all do the same thing, i would download all the suggested ones and see which gui goes best with your workflow. That is usually how I choose non-cli software.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i would ask njvc about this.

the RAR programs i use seem to provide very little compression of already compressed video. but somehow njvc got his program to do some wicked compression, if i recall correctly.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
rar should compress video more if the initial bitrate is too high, and wasting space.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use simplyrar. It's only draw-back is that for creating your rars it has a max split-size of 100mb, but other than that, it's proven to be very straightforward and reliable.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Winrar has always been my archive program of choice. I have been using it for years and it never fails me :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No one uses 7-zip? It's free (no annoy-ware) and awesome.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
No one uses 7-zip? It's free (no annoy-ware) and awesome.

I've got 7zip but I think I only downloaded it because I had downloaded something that had the 7zip extension and for some reason WinRar wouldn't open it. I'm not sure if WinRar can handle 7zip files so the only time I use it is for files that are compressed using 7zip.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let's keep the discussion to Mac programs please.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops, I didn't realize 7-zip was not Mac.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt Winrar is Mac either. :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I have checked, have never seen a Mac version of Winrar or 7-zip.

Simplyrar is looking pretty good right now. But I will keep searching.

It does not have to be free, as I learned from that mistake by waiting too long with RARmachine, the company went bust... otherwise I would have loved to purchased their program.:-:)-P

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone ever used or heard of Stuffit Expander???

http://www.stuffit.com/

Specifically designed for Macs. Seems to be able to open almost any type of file.

Trying to determine if can make rar password files?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
... just thought of another solution/question....

Since RARmachine went out of business and no one can buy the program anymore,
but the 10 Free Trial Version is still available for download all over the net,
is there a way to re-download the Trial Version without it saying you have used up your free trial period???

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe try a different e-mail address or username or whatever.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it's anything like other programs with free trials re-downloading the trial version won't do anything. You'll just get that same message telling you that your free trial is up. Reformatting your computer might work, but who'd reformat their computer just to be able to use a free trial again?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I once read of someone who used a trial installed on one of those 5gig or so usb drives, then just reformatted it whenever the trial ran out, don't know how you could install something on a usb drive though.

Top Bottom