• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Reservoir Dogs: The Black & White Edition

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RDBWEPoster.jpg

Fanedit Film Name Reservoir Dogs: The Black & White Edition
Faneditor Name Adabisi
Original Film Name Reservoir Dogs
Fanedit Type FanMix
Original Running Time 99 minutes
Original Release Date
Fanedit Running Time
90 minutes
Fanedit Release Date
October 2012
Amount of time cut 15 minutes
Amount of time added 6 mintues

Brief Synopsis

A retelling of Reservoir Dogs with a more traditional narrative structure that focuses the story on Freddy Newendyke, his infiltration of the gang and his relationship with Mr. White.

Intention

I’m a huge fan of Reservoir Dogs and wanted to attempt a different way of experiencing the film. I was inspired by this fanedit but wanted to take a slightly different approach. All scenes have been rearranged to fit a more traditional narrative structure. Two deleted scenes have been added to help flesh out Freddy’s and Mr. White’s back stories. Converted to black and white to give it a unique look and feel (and it doesn’t hurt that it helps to hide the poor quality of the deleted scenes). I also attempted to remove some of the usual Tarantino nonsense from the film (sorry, but gangsters aren’t going to sit around discussing the intricacies of Like A Virgin).

Cut-List

-converted the whole film to black and white
-added 2 deleted scenes
-re-ordered the scenes to fit a more traditional narrative structure
-removed Mr. Blonde's meeting with Joe
-removed the Madonna part of the breakfast scene
-removed the drive and the dick-gluing story
-removed the immediate reveal of what/who is in Mr. Blonde’s trunk
-replaced Little Green Bag with Pink Floyd's Money over the opening credits per the original script
-added a very short, tongue in cheek clip from True Romance to expand on Mr. White’s back story

Release information AVI

Reservoir Dogs: The Black & White Edition is available via usenet and digital locker and can be found on info.

reservoir_dogs_3Dview.jpg

Adabisi said:
-removed the drive and the dick-gluing story

-replaced Little Green Bag with Pink Floyd's Money over the opening credits per the original script

-added a very short, tongue in cheek clip from True Romance to expand on Mr. White’s back story

Nice. I got it downloaded now, might as well check it out.

Review:

This was a fun watch. I love Tarantino movies and love watching Tarantino edits. This is a nice one to add to the collection and especially since the only other Reservoir Dogs edit is MIA.

I loved the Black and White treatment. Loved it.

A/V quality is fine. XVID AVI, 2.0 audio.

The only real editing issues I saw were: A flash frame between Pink driving away and Brown, White & Orange crashing. Rough audio transition during Pink's bathroom story to a flashback. There's an off chance they could have been intentional, but I doubt that.

I thought the sequence of events and pacing were off with so much exposition & set-up at the beginning. Maybe I'm just too used to Reservoir Dogs, but I felt a bit antsy to get to the action during the first 30 minutes or so. For example, the deleted scene of Mr. White's background felt like too much about White too soon. And once it gets started, since the actual heist isn't a part of the movie it feels like a weird jump in time to the end of the diner scene. That whole scene probably should have been cut. The narrative feels a bit more nontraditional now actually. Despite all this though I still enjoyed the movie.

The use of True Romance was inspired. Nicely done there, very Tarantino-esque.

I think fans of Reservoir Dogs or Tarantino may like this. If you're a hardcore Tarantino purist you may hate it. It's not superior to the theatrical version, but it wasn't trying to be. It's an interesting retelling of a popular story.

A/V Quality 9
Visual Editing 9
Audio Editing 9
Narrative 6
Enjoyment 8

Thanks for the review, Neg. Glad you enjoyed it despite not totally buying the narrative.

Neglify said:
I loved the Black and White treatment. Loved it.

Good to hear. It took a lot of work to get it to look right.

Neglify said:
The only real editing issues I saw were: A flash frame between Pink driving away and Brown, White & Orange crashing.

Yep. Stupid Womble.

Neglify said:
Rough audio transition during Pink's bathroom story to a flashback.

Hmm. I didn't notice that one and I'm usually pretty good at spotting them. Dammit. Good catch. It's very subtle, but it's there.

Neglify said:
I thought the sequence of events and pacing were off with so much exposition & set-up at the beginning. Maybe I'm just too used to Reservoir Dogs, but I felt a bit antsy to get to the action during the first 30 minutes or so.

The main goal I had in mind was to remove the usual Tarantino setup of: Characters know more than the audience->Audience catches up->Audience knows more than the characters. With this version, we get the whole back story up front before we even get close to the warehouse. I moved the commode story as close to the beginning as possible because I think it's brilliant bit of suspenseful story telling, especially since the entire filmed sequence never actually happened. The intent with placing it there is to gain the audience's trust early that there will be some bits that are just as good coming up, but we may need to get through some dialogue heavy scenes before we get there. Perhaps it didn't work quite as I had planned.

Neglify said:
The use of True Romance was inspired. Nicely done there, very Tarantino-esque.

Thanks. Just a little wink-wink, nudge-nudge I wanted to throw in.

Adabisi said:
The main goal I had in mind was to remove the usual Tarantino setup of: Characters know more than the audience->Audience catches up->Audience knows more than the characters. With this version, we get the whole back story up front before we even get close to the warehouse. I moved the commode story as close to the beginning as possible because I think it's brilliant bit of suspenseful story telling, especially since the entire filmed sequence never actually happened. The intent with placing it there is to gain the audience's trust early that there will be some bits that are just as good coming up, but we may need to get through some dialogue heavy scenes before we get there. Perhaps it didn't work quite as I had planned.

I dug how un-Tarantino it was but it was still a bit too slow going. The Commode Story for example, I would have cut from Holdaway asking "Did you use the Commode Story?" to Freddie and the gang in the bar. Sure we miss the set up to the story and we miss some great character moments but it would have flowed more easily, at least in my eyes.

Pacing is usually a personal issue so what I may think others may not feel the same way about it.

You're absolutely right, but what you gain in pacing, you lose in the development of the Master/Apprentice relationship between the two characters. Since there's already a RD edit that focused on quickening up the pace, I wanted to go for story. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Would like to see this but the Rapidshare links seem to all be dead. I'd really like to talk about this for my upcoming podcast on Reservoir Dogs. Any chance of a re-up?

My review:

- good selection(s) for the opening scenes prior to the opening credits
- Pink Floyd "Money" nice choice for opening song
- Alabama conversation and "flashbacks" from True Romance, it didn't work for me,
but a bold creative decision and reminded me of the interconnectedness of Tarantino's movie universe
- inclusion of deleted scenes, while a nice change and gave more background, had noticeably lower quality (although I'm assuming that's not the fault of Adabisi)
- there were a few rough audio transitions
- I noticed a flashframe around 33:48 when Buscemi is driving away from the cops
- I think [MENTION=6765]Adabisi[/MENTION] definitely accomplished what he set out to do - a more traditional chronological narrative for the most part
- A worthy alternative if you're sick of watching the theatrical version.

Gatos said:
My review:

- good selection(s) for the opening scenes prior to the opening credits
- Pink Floyd "Money" nice choice for opening song
- Alabama conversation and "flashbacks" from True Romance, it didn't work for me,
but a bold creative decision and reminded me of the interconnectedness of Tarantino's movie universe
- inclusion of deleted scenes, while a nice change and gave more background, had noticeably lower quality (although I'm assuming that's not the fault of Adabisi)
- there were a few rough audio transitions
- I noticed a flashframe around 33:48 when Buscemi is driving away from the cops
- I think Adabisi definitely accomplished what he set out to do - a more traditional chronological narrative for the most part
- A worthy alternative if you're sick of watching the theatrical version.

Thanks for watching and reviewing Gatos. I agree 100% with your points.

Back
Top Bottom