• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How to create NZB file?

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

I need to move my edits to the newsgroups as MF is taking down my stuff.

I already have an account with a news server, and know how to download, but not upload. I am assuming based on other downloads I've done that I split my file into ~200MB rar chunks. I can do that. I also need to create a par2 file, which I don't know how to do. Finally, I need to create a NZB file (don't know how) and then upload the files (I've requested that ability from my news server already, waiting a response).

Can anyone help or point me to a guide that describes what I need to do? (On the mac of course)

Thanks!

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I know how to create a par2 file now, using par2 from macports. I'm using the default command line settings which says this:
Code:
Block size: 1489136
Source file count: 15
Source block count: 2000
Redundancy: 5%
Recovery block count: 100
Recovery file count: 7
If I should be using any special commands please let me know! :)

One question though, it generates a bunch of par2 files. Do I include all of them in the archive?

I also can create .sfv files with bsdsfv command line from mac ports.

So now all I really need to know is about creating NZB files.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks. The guide says to use 50MB size rar files, but Q2 used 200MB files for his Ep 3 BD (and it is his guide). So do you think it matters?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Search facility is your friend.

There is a guide to uploading to usenet which includes the steps fort making an nzb, it's for windows which means you'll probably have to use different apps but the general procedure should be the same.

The two programs differ a bit, so it might be good to have a separate guide for Mac users. L8wrtr seems to have wrapped his head around NZB's on Mac, so he'd be a good person to ask.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
Thanks. The guide says to use 50MB size rar files, but Q2 used 200MB files for his Ep 3 BD (and it is his guide). So do you think it matters?

It really doesn't matter. Smaller files might upload better without error thus not requiring people to utilize the PAR2 files. (This is still up for debate though.) I just prefer larger files for AVCHD/BR just to keep the messages posted to usenet reasonable (100 or vs 200-300).

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Q2. I'm going to give the Camelsystem Powerpost a try that you suggested, since I have "wine" installed on my mac and it successfully installed. It still might not work, but it's worth a try.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those interested, if you happen to know about "wine" (it lets you run *some* windows apps natively on the mac without the windows operating system...totally legit), I just wanted to report that Camelsystem Powerpost seems to run just fine using it.

Since there aren't many (if any) free posting apps on the mac, this might be an alternative for those of you who are able to install wine. You need to use the command line, but it's not that hard. If anyone's interested, I can dig up the link with the instructions I followed.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool.

Also, to answer your original question, if you haven't figured it out. After you post to Usenet, go to binsearch [dot] info and search for the edit you just uploaded. You can create an NZB via that site.

Top Bottom