• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

New Shows

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE LAST SHIP

So I just watched the pilot, and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. Yeah, it's loaded with Michael Bay-isms, but I think in this case it works to the shows advantage. It definitely feels very epic in scope, which a story like this needs, and for most tv budgets very hard to achieve. I am definitely looking forward to the next couple episodes to see what direction the show takes. Hopefully it fares better than The Last Resort.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I may be headed to a similarly-sized ship next year, I also watched and enjoyed the pilot, even though it's bursting with plot holes, logical inconsistencies, and sailors saluting while uncovered (not wearing headgear) (which: no). It'll be interesting to see what kind of momentum they can maintain at such a brisk pace...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What I would love to see is the show turn into an Empire Building series. Resolve the virus cure plot line in the first season and then move on to a post-apocalyptic rebuilding of civilization, with the ship as the last light of democracy with the barbarians storming the gates. I mean, over half the world is dead and in anarchy, even if they find a cure, it is not going to be the same world as before, and I think that could lead some to some intriguing, action-filled, epic storylines.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hadn't even heard of this until [MENTION=4677]bionicbob[/MENTION] mentioned it here. (Thanks for that, by the way.) Really enjoyed it. Definitely has a Michael Bay vibe only not as campy. Not sure they can keep the frenetic pace though. I really hope it doesn't fall into the trap The Last Resort did, where the pilot was outstanding and every subsequent episode devolved into shit.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I really hope it doesn't fall into the trap The Last Resort did, where the pilot was outstanding and every subsequent episode devolved into shit.

That describes most every new action/supernatural/sci-fi/cop/thriller TV show I've seen the past several years.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, that second ep was pretty dang solid...

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping Extant is good. That starts in a couple weeks.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Thank God, there are no zombies yet.
I can't tell if the overpopulation of zombies have finally put me in a Stockholm Syndrome, or if that would be a legitimately cool season finale cliffhanger twist. :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The new 2014 network television season has begun....

Watched Z NATION.... why did I do that? Pure Asylum crap. Do not waste your time.

FOREVER... I watched this out of curiosity... one level it is another procedural teaming up a cop with a non-cop expert (i.e.. Bones, Mentalist, Castle, etc, etc,etc) but on another level it sort of Highlander meets Sherlock Holmes, which separates it from the pack. The pilot was good, but what really reeled me in was the last five minutes where the true relationship between Ioan Gruffudd and Judd Hirsch was revealed... gotta admit, that choked me up a bit... I am such a sucker... LOL. Anyway, I will probably check out a few more eps.

And the biggest premiere....

GOTHAM.... gotta say, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Great production work, over all good casting, some fresh twists (wow, Alfred is a total badass) while maintaining the feel of the Bat mythology. I will definitely be watching more, though my main concern is how do you sustain a series like this over the long run???? You can only take certain character so far.... they could paint themselves into a corner.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been wondering when someone would start a Gotham thread. As much as I loved Donal Logue on Terriers, I don't think I'll be following this one, not during the first season, at least. I think they made a big mistake not tweaking the story: what if Bruce's parents died, but Bruce was killed? You could thus have the Waynes becoming increasingly zealous anti-crime crusaders, while the villains start to take over, and the audience isn't irritated by the fact that there will be a Batman in the future, but not in the show.

I mean, what's the plan, here? Things just have to keep getting worse, because otherwise there'd be no need for a Batman, right? But the protagonist is a cop, so he's just going to keep steadily losing ground until the series finale, when Batman shows up for maybe one scene? Doesn't strike me as a very engaging structure...

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've pretty much lost all interest in TV. I'll continue to watch the shows that I've been watching for years, but as far as new shows go I'm not even bothering to look into them. Gotham is a big exception though. And I'll most likely tune in to The Flash as well. I really enjoyed Gotham's first episode. Loved Donal Logue as Bullock. And I thought it was cool that they also had The Riddler, The Penguin, Poison Ivy, and Selina Kyle/Catwoman in it. Although I'm a little surprised at how old they portrayed Selina Kyle. I always thought she and Bruce were about the same age, but she looks to be at least 5 years older than him.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seriously underwhelmed by the Gotham pilot. My biggest issue is the lack of chemistry between the guy playing Jim Gordon and everybody else. The Penguin was OK I guess... Hopefully it gets better.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought I'd hate Gotham but ended up loving it. So did the mrs (and she is of the type who would roll their eyes at comic book source material without even reading it). My one problem with it is the anachronisms. Thought it was supposed to be the 70s at first but then no, somebody has a cell phone. When/where does this take place? In Sin City or something?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The producers have clearly stated in a few different articles that they are purposely keeping the time period of Gotham vague and retro. So yeah, all the vehicles appear to be 1970s or early 80s, same with most of the men's fashions but they seem to have flip phones.... It sort of an alternate comic reality... not as extreme as the Tim Burton movies or TAS, but in a similar vein.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished the second episode of GOTHAM. Is it just me, or does the young actress playing Selina bear a striking resemblance to Michelle Phieffer from Batman Returns???

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched CONSTANTINE this evening.... while I am not a regular reader of the Hellblazer comic, I am familiar with the character and found the pilot to be fairly accurate representation -- Matt Ryan is PERFECTLY cast -- though it felt a bit too convoluted and uneven. I am assuming the last scene was reshot afterwards since the actress was dropped after the pilot. So while more faithful than the Keanu movie, it does not have the same instant audience connection/ like-ability/enjoyment as such shows as Arrow, Flash or Gotham. I would give the pilot a 6.5 out of 10, but I see lots of potential and will watch a the next few episodes to see how it develops.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, three comic-book shows (more when you factor in Agent Carter and the Marvel Netflix series) is my limit. AoS, Arrow, Flash, that's it for moi. ;)

Also: holy shit, was last week's AoS great! Coulson staring down Raina in that restaurant and bursting her bubble was epic!

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Sorry, three comic-book shows (more when you factor in Agent Carter and the Marvel Netflix series) is my limit. AoS, Arrow, Flash, that's it for moi. ;)

Also: holy shit, was last week's AoS great! Coulson staring down Raina in that restaurant and bursting her bubble was epic!

You're forgetting Gotham. ;)

Top Bottom