• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The last Dawn (formerly red dead dawn, completed)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After my mess with the Warriors tv cut is finished I was thinking about this and it technically should work

combine the films:

1. red dawn
2. The day after (1983 nuclear holocaust film)
3. Day of the dead

I already have saome rough ideas as to how I want this to go and what footage from what films will go where. Keep you posted--

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there might be a problem with switching focusses, but let's see what you will come up with.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although I love red dawn, some footage/story can be cut out. But mainly when they are describing what was going on in the rest of the country and world, this is where I was going to throw in some of the nuclear footage from the day after. I was also going to do something where due to the fall out this is where I can splice some items in from the beginning of day of the dead (when they are searching for survivors in the dead city). Naturally some on screen narration will help as well.

Well see how it goes

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Red Dawn holds more mixed feelings in me than almost any other movie I've seen. I can't help but wonder whether I love it or hate it more. It goes beyond pretentious cheese in some ways, and its style and pacing (and complete commitment to this fictional scenario) are equally powerful.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok I just started this edit tonight. Here is a rough test clip of the opening for my version. NOTE this is not final and NO sound edits were performed yet

**deleted**

bascially I added a new few second intro and extended the on screen titles. I then rearranged one scene to play in the beginning. I also cut a good chunk of the beginning of the film out as well as deleting all scenes of their teacher. This way the film starts right out and the parachute troopers act more quickly.

I plan on fixing the sound so you do not hear any of the voices from the classroom. I still have roughly an idea as to how this is going to tie in with day of the dead. I might add in a few more clips from other films to show the mayhem going on all over the country and not just in one spot.

Be honest (I know you will) and let me know what you think of my roughly 1min 30 second test clip (mpeg/ac3 sound)

Sprug's decapitated head

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like this concept a lot. I watched the clip and i can see where you are going with it. I think there's a lot of potential. On a side note, there's one thing i gotta ask: will you please slow down the opening text of Red dawn? It goes by way too fast. That has bugged the hell outta me in the actual movie. I had to pause the movie when i last watched it to even read it. Keep up the good work, i'd love to see the finished edit!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I noticed this too. I can fix this so the on screen narration stays on longer. A friend of mine was the main source for mentioning day of the dead and that got the ball rolling. I wrote down a lot of rough ideas as to how the film is going to play out with more input from him. It should work and it will also mean quite a number of scenes from other films are goingto play a role.

The one thing I want to do is try to stay away from too much characterization. It will help the pace move more smoothly and at the same time help with the transition when the film kind of changes reels so to speak--keep you posted

Sprug's decapitated head

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's this movie called "The dead pit" that has zombies in it. It's been forever since i've seen it, but i remember it features zombies running around at some point. Have you seen it? Just thought i'd throw out a possible suggestion in case you are looking for more zombie footage.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember seeing the US version (cut) many years ago and boy did I hate it. However the box for it had a zombie with glowing lcd eyes. I found it used with that box and purchased it.

Now that you mention it zombies around a hospital (or close enough to look like one) is part of the footage that I need (I have some already in mind).

thank you for that reference! In a million years I would have never thought of that film

The film is also taking more shape and I am a little over 40 mins into it. Red dawn is drastically cut down and re-edited. The funny part is, is that the film still actually works on it's own this way and you get the whole story.

Here is something I do need help with from you X-file fans. I have the whole series on dvd, but I could have sworn their was one (perhaps it was the final ep) episode where it had the "jugglers" sitting around a table discussing thier next move. I need some footage of shady military types in a meeting that appears for them to be discussing something not quite nice.

some fades and titles are going to be needed for the film. I understand why womble would need to re-encode that footage but it then appears to re-encode the clips that follow it. I think vegas and an avi uncompressed output will have to do instead for any clips that need titles or fades, etc

Crazy Calm

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really think that this could be a really cool fan edit. The potential is there. Let's see if you can make it kenetic.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still have my fingers crossed. I have my super rough 40 min edit for review now (at home). A few fades are going to be needed as this will help show that time has passed between one scene and the next.

Example: (and this might be the only one I list here). Swayze and friends get to the fathers house and receive more info and ammo. This is where the two girls are introduced and they join the group. This scene ends with them riding off into the fields on horses. Now I cut this scene which follows right after. It shows them at a campfire at night listening to the radio. I cut this as I wanted to use it later and have the radio play another message instead (though this may now not fit in with the rest of my edit, still working with it). So it goes straight to the scene of where the Russian soliders start taking photos by the mountain. The splice of these two scenes wokrs fine, but it might come across as one happening right after the other. This is where I can put a fade to show it is a different day and time

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just an update:

film is coming along nicely. Over/about 90 mins into it now. Already the dvd is slightly over the single disc size (released version will be single disc size). At any rate the story transitioned nicely and I am close to wrapping it up.

I think many of you will like it. It flows better than I thought it would.
I also extended the opening written narrations and made a few changes to the clip I uploaded. Although the living dead will play a small role, this will not turn into some gore film. It just would not fit well with the rest of the story. The one downside I myself was not too fond of, wasthat I had to use quite a few fades and dissolves throughout the film. This helped to show that time has passed and to link two different scenes without a nasty cut

I had to use a few on screen narrations. I wanted to stay away from using them but In order to really link the story I had to add them. It still seems to work though--

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
update: Almost done with the film (possilby by tonight or the weekend). Once that is completed, its just a matter of fixing some of the audio and then away we go :)

PS I had to literally re-trace the rough print using a different source (still looks nice). Now the disc is single layer without any compromise that would have come if I had to shrink the disc in size

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
final update:
putting the finishing touches on now (menus). Unless I missed something all audio and video fixing has been completed. Review discs should be out this coming week--cheers--

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
moved to true fanedits.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOOO! I just did a test viewing last night. Of course it was pretty late so I am going to do another one today. Discs should be out by the end of this coming week-

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
upon viewing with friends tonight, making three minor last minute changes--

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
disc is completed and fixed a few things (what a god aweful nightmare). If anyone wants one (yes one is going to the site) and can get me their addy's BEFORE this Saturday, you will have a strong chance of having your disc sent out within two days. If not it's another week of waiting--

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
first bunch of review copies went out today. Hope you enjoy it

Top Bottom