• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Mending

t528491

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
X3SE9.jpg

What you wanted to see back in '99.

Faneditor Name
t528491
Original Movie Title
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Genre
Science Fiction
Franchise
Star Wars
Fanedit Type
FanFix
Original Release Date
Fanedit Release Date
September 2012
Original Running Time
136 minutes
Fanedit Running Time
96 minutes
Time Cut
40 minutes

Synopsis
This fanedit is much more streamlined than the original movie, and is not bogged down by superfluous plot points, asinine humor, or amateurish acting. The edit is also more evenly paced, without being too action-driven.

Intention
This fanedit aims to remove the unnecessary elements of TPM and to create a version that is much more in line with the original trilogy. By removing most of Jar Jar's appearances, much of Anakin's dialogue, and entire scenes and plotlines, the film now feels much more like a Star Wars movie. I've always felt that behind the idiotic humor and tedious pacing, there was a decent movie to be found, and this edit endeavors to be that movie.

Technical Info
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5
Adobe Encore CS5

Release Information
4GB HD M4V
If enough people request it, I'll upload a BD25 version of this edit.

Cutlist
This won't be a complete list, as that would be far too long.
But hopefully you'll get a general idea of what's been excised.

Cut all battle droid dialogue.
Cut lines like "Are you braindead?"
Trimmed certain scenes on Naboo.
Cut entire underwater city sequence. In this version, the trio are assumed to have traveled to Theed on foot.
Cut all of Jar Jar's so-called "humor."
Cut Ric Olié-esque dialogue.
Cut the majority of Anakin's dialogue.
Cut most of Anakin and Padme's scenes together.
Reworked dinner scene.
Cut any reference to Midi-chlorians. The references to the prophecy are still intact.
Cut announcer at the podrace.
Cut Anakin speaking in Huttese.
Reworked certain parts of the podrace.
Reworked Anakin taking the spaceship. In this edit, he deliberately flies it to the blockade.
Cut various parts of the Gungan battle.
Reworked Darth Maul's death so he doesn't go out like a punk.
Cut entire ending celebration. This version ends ominously on Palpatine's face.

Special Notes/Thanks
Thanks to Ripplin for taking the time to review and critique my edit.

Cover art
The following link includes the main artwork, DVD artwork, and Blu-ray artwork.
https://images.fanedit.org/fanedits_coverart/t528491/phantom_mending/Phantom_Mending_cover.rar

Since my Mediafire account was suspended, contact me if you want to download this edit.

Sweet. There are lots of Phantom Menace edits on this site, but yours looks interesting.

I love the title. Cutting Ric, not so much. ;)

" I've always felt that behind the idiotic humor and tedious pacing, there was a decent movie to be found, and this edit endeavors to be that movie."

If it is decent than it will be the fourth decent edit considering L8Wrtr's, Seciors', and Q2's were all much more than decent.

Their edits were decent, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they made the actual film "much more than decent" in relation to the other SW films. TPM is doomed to a dark place that I think only Adywan can truly rescue it from. I will say however that I hope it works out as another very decent TPM edit - it seems to head in a similar thread as my own edit with at least a partial Gungan removal.

Agreed. I don't think TPM will ever be a great film - the ingredients just aren't there. Whereas I think AOTC (and to a greater extent, ROTS) has the potential to be, if not a great movie, a very good one.

And it's not like I think my edit is earth-shattering or anything. I simply hadn't found an edit that had everything I wanted (Gungan city removal, no Padme/Anakin scenes, no ending celebration, etc.) that was in HD 5.1. So I figured, why not make my own. ;-)

Why not just go all the way and remove the Gungan Battle at the end? ;)

I've watched about half of it, and have to say it plays out very nicely. Deviates in a few places from what has become the standard, which was nice to see. :)

I did consider that, but I felt it would be a little unsatisfying to have all this talk of an invasion army throughout the rest of the film and not ever see it in action. And I don't really mind the Gungans as long as they're not talking. :D

Plus, the battle does look pretty darn cool on my projector.:-D

At first I thought, "Oh no, not another Phantom Menace edit!" After seeing it, I think this is now my preferred version of the film. It's still not a great movie, but it's the best cut I've ever seen by far.

Audio/Video Quality: Perfect! 10/10

Visual Editing: Perfect! 10/10

Audio Editing: Perfect! 10/10

Narrative: The editor has literally chopped almost everything I hate about this movie. No midochlorians, no C-3PO or R2-D2, no Anakin/Padme interactions, most of the bad dialogue is removed, characters are vastly improved, no gungan city, and Jar Jar has almost no speaking lines. My biggest criticism of The Phantom Mending is the pod race. The continuity, geography, and sequence of events is messed up and extremely confusing to watch. The chosen one prophecy is still included, but at the very least there is no virgin birth. I think that some of the deleted scenes, like Anakin's fistfight with Greedo and Qui-Gon encountering Maul's probe droid, could have been inserted, and could have strengthed the plot, but it still works fine without them. My only other complaint is that Padme's whininess on Tatooine is intact, and I have yet to see an edit that actually removes this. Other than that, this edit is very bold and often strays, for the better, from the usual Phantom Menace edit standard. 9/10

Enjoyment: I highly enjoyed this, and like other Star Wars edits in HD the picture quality looks absolutely spectacular. The narrative changes are awesome and I look forward to seeing t528491's upcoming Star Wars edits. 9/10

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

I concur that I probably should have worked on the podrace a bit more. By cutting out the announcer, the transitions from Sebulba's POV to Anakin's were a bit jarring and confusing.
I also feel in retrospect that the podrace goes on for far too long. Maybe I'll do another version of this edit where the podrace is slimmed down dramatically.

On another note, my Attack of the Clones edit is pretty much completed now. I'll post my cutlist later today, and I'd appreciate any more suggestions to make it a tighter edit.

t528491 said:
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

I concur that I probably should have worked on the podrace a bit more. By cutting out the announcer, the transitions from Sebulba's POV to Anakin's were a bit jarring and confusing.
I also feel in retrospect that the podrace goes on for far too long. Maybe I'll do another version of this edit where the podrace is slimmed down dramatically.

On another note, my Attack of the Clones edit is pretty much completed now. I'll post my cutlist later today, and I'd appreciate any more suggestions to make it a tighter edit.

Cool, I hope other members on the site are able to watch this stunning work. I do agree that the pod race goes on too long, but that can be easily rectified.

I'll most likely check it out in the coming weeks.

Well, I thought I would have the AOTC cutlist up tonight, but inevitably I found an edit I wanted to tweak and got sidetracked.

Anyhow, I should have that cutlist up tomorrow.

All right, here's my AOTC cutlist.
This list is more extensive than my Phantom Mending cutlist, but it is by no means complete. There are upwards of 30 edits in the Geonosis scenes, so I obviously couldn't list all of them.

Cut all of Corde's lines
Cut Typho's bad dialogue
Cut Jar Jar's lines
Cut Padme comparing Anakin to a child
Slimmed down Anakin and Obi-Wan's disagreement
Cut Anakin whining to Jar Jar
Cut Jango's conversation with Zam
Cut Anakin's creeper dialogue
Padme now reacts more quickly to the Kouhuns
Reworked entire chase sequence. No poodoo moments, power couplings, or "witty" quips, and Anakin's jump is more believable
Removed obvious cameos in the bar
Cut "TELL US NOW"
"Kamino System" has been added as a subtitle
Cut Yoda/Obi-Wan/Mace scene
Cut Padme's conversation with Jar Jar
Cut Anakin whining about Obi-Wan
Cut Dex's diner
Cut Yoda and the Younglings
Reinserted Obi-Wan/Mace deleted scene
Cut Padme's scene with the Queen
Cut Padme's cringe-worthy dialogue at the lake
Cut Padme pulling away from Anakin during their kiss
Cut meadow scene
Cut dinner scene
Moved the fireside scene to before the Jango scene
Minimized Boba's dialogue
Trimmed Watto scene
Made various cuts in the Jango/Obi-Wan chase
Cut 3PO's "the maker" line for continuity
Cut badly animated aliens in the separatist council
Cut random "NOOOOOO" in Yoda's vision sequence
Made multiple cuts in the Anakin/Padme scene on Tatooine
Cut scene in Palpatine's office
Cut Jar Jar nominating Palpatine
Removed any trace of R2 or 3PO outside the ship
Cut "Obi-Wan's gonna kill me"
Cut unnecessary dialogue between Padme and Anakin
Cut "she seems to be on top of things"
Made a TON of cuts during the whole battle sequence, including no 3PO or R2, no cringe-worthy Padme/Anakin exchanges, and an overall tightening of pace
Cut "aim above the fuel cells"
Cut some of the most obviously green-screened Dooku speeder bike shots
Moved Padme waking up in the desert to before the Dooku fight
Cut "we've got to get to that hangar"
Trimmed Dooku attempting to kill Obi-Wan
Trimmed the lightsaber light show
Cut Yoda screaming like a maniac
Cut most of Yoda's flips
I have decided against cutting out the Jango/Obi-Wan fight and the Yoda/Dooku lightsaber fight, since I personally don't have a problem with either of those scenes. However, I did edit out most of Yoda's flips, as I feel that is the weakest link in that fight sequence.

Awesome sauce man. Shouldn't this be posted in a separate thread though?

Once it's completed, I'll create a new thread for it.
I just want to see if anyone has any suggestions before I submit the fanedit to the site.

L8 decided to have Zam say Kamino System as a subtitle, but I wasn't completely sold on its effectiveness. If I were you I would reinsert the scene with Obi-Wan and the droids who try to identify the dart. I would make the droids subtitled (or dubbed) and have them tell him it's from Kamino. I just feel that makes it more obvious that Obi-Wan is actively searching for Jango.

By the way, I haven't gotten the time to see your first episode, but I definitely want to. Maybe in the future.

BladeRunner391 said:
Shouldn't this be posted in a separate thread though?
Yes, it should.

t528491, please start an In-The-Works thread for your AOTC edit. The discussion here should remain focused on your TPM edit.

OK, no problem. I've created a new thread here to continue the AOTC discussion.

Good idea, DominicCobb. I'll have to see if I can work that in.

Finally, got around to seeing your edit. I can say I certainly enjoyed it. There were some new ideas I liked, and I was fine with your narrative choices, even if they're not entirely what I would set out. However, there were some several cuts that visually didn't work, and some weird audio cuts too. However, every edit is isn't perfect.

I'm sorry to say this, but the pacing of your edit really bothered me. First of all, the last 40 minutes is probably where the pacing is best, not perfect, but still far better than the original movie. However, the movie started really fast paced up (at some points I felt like I was watching a trailer) through tantooine (with exception to your version pod race, which was my favorite edit I've seen of this part ever) and then seemed to slow down majorly after arriving at Coruscant and then finally to an appropriate level when reaturing to Naboo.

Again, each cut choice was fine, but the overall felt pacing uneven and edited. However, nothing gave me any reason to not highly reccomend this edit, and I would still put it up next to L8's and Q2's. 9/10

Back
Top Bottom