• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

David Brent: An Office Manager

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
davidbrent2.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?qhb1ku116nloaou

a TRUE FANEDIT by Leeroy

The story of an office that faces closure when the company decides to downsize its branches. A documentary film crew follow staff and the manager Brent as they continue their daily lives.

TRAILER
[video=youtube_share;ydP48x8Qhzs]

Original film name: The Office
Film studio name: BBC
Film release date: 2001 - 2003
Original runtime: 360mins
Fanedit release date: September 2012
New runtime: 95mins
Amount of time cut/added: 265mins

EDIT DETAILS:
The concept behind the edit was as if the film makers went 'here you go here's over 4 hours of footage make a solid funny 90min movie.' I wanted The Office film to stand along side Spinal tap another mockumentary film which influenced The Office.

The Office is one of my all time favorite comedy shows with Ricky Gervais performance as David Brent a real stand out. Since The Office Ricky Gervais movie career has been a little hit and miss so i wanted to edit both series and turn it into a solid 90min film.

The edit focuses more on the merger of the two branches which was more of sub-plot in series 1. The edit focuses more of the antics that occur during the staffs working hours and removes all footage that takes place outside of work.

CUTLIST

removed Tim asking Dawn out from series 1
removed Tim handing in his notice from series 1
removed Tim having a relationship with Rachael
Donna no longer staying with Brent
Ricky no longer a temp but a regular worker
Donna / Ricky no longer having a relationship
Ray and Jude no longer recruit Brent to do business management seminar
removed David Finch (he's only heard on answer phone)
added new end of credits featuring Free Love Freeway

SOURCES YOU MUST OWN
The Office Box-set (Series 1&2 plus The Xmas Specials)

To watch this Fanedit simply PM me for links, please don't take offensive but proof of owning the orginal source material maybe re-queried.

The trailer is well done, very funny!
Definitely got me intrigued.

I will put this one on must watch list!:)

How have you compressed the archive? I just get "Insert disk 1" when I try to uncompress it!

?? This might be why - the dlc is missing file z66.

I normally can't stand The Office....but that actually made me chuckle. One for the "I'm intruigued" pile.

Enjoyed that trailer, nicely done. Will check this out :)

quick question: did I notice the aspect ratio changing throughout the trailer? Some of it looked normal, but then a few shots looked like they were stretched. Also a couple of minor lip sync issues maybe?

Thought I was going crazy, tried HJsplit, 7zip, all sorts of other programs, until I read Dangermouse's comment.

Definitely missing z66 for the DL version. Any chance of an upload?

I'm a huge fan of the original Office and I think David Brent is one of the all time classic sitcom characters, so this edit piqued my interest.

Unfortunately, there are issues with this edit. It starts off with scrolling white text on blue background (the exact same shade of blue that your old VCR would make when you ejected a tape) that gives a very long winded warning about what you can and can't do with this edit. It looks very amateurish and almost as if it was copied and pasted from someone's forum post. Unnecessary.

The title cards with the dates were a nice touch, but you spelled it "Febuary". Three times.

The audio goes noticeably out of sync at 52 minutes, right after the "March 3rd" title card. I let it go for about 5 minutes and gave up.

Other than those issues, this was shaping up to be a promising edit that looked like a lot of fun. It's a great idea, the picture and audio was perfectly acceptable for an avi and the edits were smooth.

I won't leave a review on ifdb with the hopes that you'll pull this and, at the very least, fix the audio sync issue.

After verifying A/V sync issues, admins and mod have decided that this edit is to go back to the In-The-Works category.

sorry about that i'll get this issue fixed

And that, kids, is how you handle being told you have quality issues in your edit. Thank you Leeroy.

I meant to like that post but accidentally disliked it instead. Stupid fat thumb...

TV's Frink said:
I meant to like that post but accidentally disliked it instead. Stupid fat thumb...

Don't worry, someone disliked yours too.

I ended up watching this to the end and the audio does eventually get back in sync, but wavers in and out of sync for the rest of the movie. There's also a point at about 55:30 where the picture freezes for about 5 seconds while the audio keeps playing and then the picture catches up.

I didn't quite understand the end credits, though.

Is the audience supposed to think that David Brent has now gone on to a music career? If so, some title cards might help.

All in all, the narrative works well and is a great way to rewatch the best parts of the Office. Were it not for the technical issues, I'd give the a solid 8/10. The edit achieves its goal and can easily stand next to great mockumentaries like This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show and A Mighty Wind. I doubt I'd bother with a fixed version, but if one does appear, I'd encourage anyone who's a fan of the original or US Office, mockumentary humour or UK humour to give it a shot.

error has been fixed and will be uploaded next week

Is the audience supposed to think that David
Brent has now gone on to a music career? If so, some title cards might help

seeing as you downloaded the edit you must have the box set and will know all about what brent gets up too in the xmas special
;-)

thanks for the feedback adabisi and i am sorry about the sync issue

You can buy the individual series without the xmas special.

leeroy said:

Is the audience supposed to think that David
Brent has now gone on to a music career? If so, some title cards might help

seeing as you downloaded the edit you must have the box set and will know all about what brent gets up too in the xmas special
;-)

From a storytelling perspective, your edit doesn't explain why we suddenly see

Brent in the studio doing a professional recording of a song he wrote earlier in his life

over the closing credits. A simple title card or two before the credits roll along the lines of

"After wallowing in misery for 6 months after losing his job, David Brent returned to his first love: Music" "He is currently recording his debut album"

would go a long way and give the edit the whole mockumentary feel that you're going for.

I've heard this is now corrected and they're looking for people to check it out. You know, semi-official types. Heh. I'm going to PM you about it, leeroy. :)

I've watched the final (?), corrected version and it is 98% there. Picture and audio issues are mostly fine. However, it still says Febuary all three times. :-o Also, at around 0:08:08, when Gareth is twirling his gum, the AR seems to be wrong for that scene, as the image appears stretched. It only lasts for 5 or 6 seconds, but still...

I watched the DVD version of this. (and some of the .avi as well, which had a bit of artifacting, especially noticeable on the walls behind David during close-ups. That could probably be cleaned up fairly easily, no?) I don't know if it's final, but there are no menu or chapter breaks. It would be handy if it did, at least the chapter breaks, especially for those who don't have a player that recalls where something leaves off. I also agree that that long warning at the beginning is unnecessary. (feels like the old Interpol ones we fast forward through impatiently ;) ) A quick static screen would do just as well. I believe that there are even some ready-made ones here that people can use.

I have to say that I very much agree with Adabisi's last post. We should not think about these edits as if people have already seen the whole thing (though they probably have). We should think as if people are coming into this fresh. In that respect, it ends quite ambiguously. That would be fine if an edit of the second series was planned, but if not, it's like 'ok...now what?' Adding a little epilogue/title card explanation would go a long way to giving the whole thing closure, so to speak.

Since the actual technical issues are somewhat minor (5 seconds of stretching, one word misspelled three times), I'm not going to approve or disapprove it right now and allow for the mods and whatnot to tell me what they think of my observations, at least concerning the DVD version. I will say that I would like to see those issues fixed (should be easy enough) and highly suggest that ending explanation be given if no sequel is planned.

thanks for taking the time to watch the edit ripplin

I have to say that I very much agree with Adabisi's last post. We should not think about these edits as if people have already seen the whole thing (though they probably have). We should think as if people are coming into this fresh. In that respect, it ends quite ambiguously. That would be fine if an edit of the second series was planned, but if not, it's like 'ok...now what?'

i don't understand this comment as the edit uses series 2

Since the actual technical issues are somewhat minor (5 seconds of stretching, one word misspelled three times), I'm not going to approve or disapprove it right now and allow for the mods and whatnot to tell me what they think of my observations, at least concerning the DVD version. I will say that I would like to see those issues fixed (should be easy enough) and highly suggest that ending explanation be given if no sequel is planned.

even the best edits have errors so with these being only minor issues it's not worth my time fixing. i don't have 24hour access to the internet so uploading an edit is to time consuming. as for spelling mistakes i do suffer from dyslexia and i'm sure i've read reviews in which spelling mistakes have made by an editor.

I'm not going to approve or disapprove it right now and allow for the mods and whatnot to tell me what they think of my observations, at least concerning the DVD version

this edit is done it's an old edit i did over a year ago and i don't plan on revisiting it again. if it's not considered good enough for approval then i'm happy for it to be moved to the workprint forum

regarding the warning screen and ending i think we'll have to agree to disagree on these matters

thanks again ripplin

Yeah, sorry about the series two thing. I actually meant to just simply say a sequel. Had 'series' on the brain or something, I guess. :p

Well, if you're happy with it, then I guess I can approve it, since the issues are quite minor. I can understand wanting to move on. I will mention this in the Academy section and see what they think.

Back
Top Bottom